James Innes was born in Nov 1862 at Drumblade, Aberdeenshire, Scotland ,
According to James's military records he would have been born in Nov 1862.
Cannot locate an entry in Banffshire or Aberdeenshire that would match for this.
We have some possible entries but no actual proof of who James's mother might have been.
It is also very strange that Alexander - his father records his birth as being in Keith Banffshire and aged 8yrs in the 1871 Census, and yet Alexander records his nephew James Watt as being born in Drumblade Aberdeen.
Would have thought Alexander would have recorded the correct place of birth.
James records his place of birth on all records as Drumblade Aberdeen.
Need contact with family to help with this matter.
He was the son of Alexander Innes.
James appeared on the 1871 Scottish Census of 2 Apr 1871 in the household of Alexander Innes at Hillside, Keith, Banffshire, Scotland ;
INNES Alex, Head, Unm, 32, Crofter of 5 acres, Keith Banff, 1 rooms with windows and 2 children at school
INNES James, Son, Unm, 8, Scholar, Keith Banff
WATT James, Nephew, Unm, 6, Scholar, Drumblade, Aberdeen
INNES Janet, Mother, Unm, 52, Keith Banff.1
James began Military Service on 24 Jan 1881 Portsmouth, Hampshire, England,
24 January 1881
Born: Drumblade near the Town of Huntley in the County of Aberdeen
Age: 18 years 2 months (Nov 1862)
he signed up for 12yrs service.
signed 19 Jan 1881
Height: 5 feet 8 inches
chest: 35 3/4 inches
Distinctive Marks: Scar ring finger left hand.
Extended Service 10 Oct 1888
Promoted to Sergt 8 July 1890
Promoted to CSMajor 19 Dec 1892
Discharged CSM 28 Feb 1907
Home: 19 Jan 1881 - 27 Feb 1883 (2yrs 40d)
India: 28 Feb 1883 - 25 Feb 1888 (4yrs 363d)
Home: 26 Feb 1888 - 28 Feb 1907 (19yrs 3d)
Total: 26yrs 41days service.2
James appeared on the 1881 English Census of 3 Apr 1881 at "Anglesea Barracks", Portsea, Hampshire, England;
Soldiers in 7th Bde Royal Art
INNES James, Gunner, Unmarried, 18, Aberdeen Scotland.3
James Innes married Annie Smith on 20 Jan 1891 at St Michael & All Angels Church, Stoke Newington, London, Middlesex, England,
James Innes, aged 28, Bachelor, Artillery Sergeant
Usual Res: Cambridge Barracks Portsmouth
Father: Alexander Innes, Laborer
Annie Smith, aged 23, Spinster
Usual Res: 4 Alkham Road
Father: William Smith, Contractor
Witnesses: Albert Charles Clover (sic) & Louisa Leversuch.4,5
James appeared on the 1891 Scottish Census of 5 Apr 1891 at 42 Croftsgate, Cupar, Fifeshire, Scotland , also listed in the household was Annie ;
INNES James, Head, Mar, 27, Sergeant B Artilly, employed, Drumblane Aberdeen, 3 rooms with windows
INNES Annie, Wife, Mar, 24, Keith, Banff.6
James Innes witnessed the birth of Annie Helen Innes on 6 Jan 1892 Military Head Quarters, Cupar, Fifeshire, Scotland ,
Annie Helen Innes
at 11.45 AM
Parents: James Innes, Sergeant Royal Artillery & Annie Innes MS Smith
Married: 1891 January 19th, London
James Innes, Father was present at the birth.4,7
James Innes witnessed the birth of Gertrude Mary Innes on 16 Sep 1893 36 Union Street, Cupar, Fifeshire, Scotland ,
Gertrude Mary Innes
Parents: James Innes, Company Sergeant Major Royal Artillery & Annie Innes MS Smith
Married January 19th 1891, Stoke Newington.
James Innes Coy M, Father was present at the birth.4,8
James Innes recorded Janet Innes's death on 8 Jan 1894 Hillside, Western Chalders, Keith, Banffshire, Scotland ,
at 8am, aged 74 years.
Parents: Alexander Innes, labourer (dec) and Isabella Innes MS Reid (dec)
James Innes, Grandson, 36 Union St, Cupar, Fife was the informant of her death.4,9
James Innes witnessed the birth of Beatrice Maud Innes on 9 May 1898 Farquhar Street, Bervie, Kincardineshire, Scotland ,
Beatrice Maud Innes
at 3.50 AM
Parents: James Innes, Sergeant Major Royal Artillery & Annie Innes MS Smith
Married: 1891 January 19th, Stoke Newington, London
James Innes, Father was present at the birth.4,10
James appeared on the 1901 Scottish Census of 31 Mar 1901 at 15 Kirkburn, Bervie, Kincardineshire, Scotland , also listed in the household was Annie, Annie, Gertrude and Beatrice ;
INNES James, Head, M, 38, Sergeant Major Artillery, Drumblade Aberdeenshire
INNES Annie, Wife, F,32, Keith Banff
INNES Annie H, Dau, F,9, Scholar, Cupar Fife
INNES Gertrude M, Dau, F,7, Scholar, Cupar Fife
INNES Beatrice M, Dau, F,2, Bervie Kincardinshire.11
James ended Military Service on 28 Feb 1907 Aberdeen, Aberdeenshire, Scotland ,
James Innes, Royal Garrison Artillery
Company Sergeant Major
Date of Discharge: 28th February 1907, Aberdeen
Age: 44yrs 3mths
Height: 5ft 10in
Chest: 41 in
Trade: Farm Labourer
Intended place of Res: 30 Mid Street, Keith
Conduct and Character: Exemplary
Medals and Decorations: Long Service and Good Conduct
Total Service: 26yrs 41 days.2
James appeared on the 1911 Scottish Census of 2 Apr 1911 at Millburn Rd, Carlton Terrace, No 3, 2nd Floor, Inverness, Invernesshire, Scotland , also listed in the household was Annie, Annie, Gertrude and Beatrice ;
INNES James, Head, 49, Mar, Expense Store accountant, Cameron Barracks, Worker, Drumblade Aberdeen
INNES Annie, Wife, 42, Mar, Married 20 years, 3 children born and living, Keith Banff
INNES Annie H, Dau, 19, Single, Clerker, for Cabinet Maker, Worker, Cupar Fife
INNES Gertrude M, Dau, 17, Single, Dressmaker, Worker, Cupar Fife
INNES Beatrice Maud, Dau, 12, School, Bervie Kincardine.12
James Innes witnessed the death of Beatrice Maud Innes on 24 Apr 1915 3 Carlton Terrace, Millburn Road, Inverness, Invernesshire, Scotland ,
Beatrice Maude Innes
Single at 7.20PM aged 16 years
Parents: James Innes, Sergeant Major Army Service Corps & Annie Innes MS Smith
James Innes, Father was present when she passed away.4,13
James Innes recorded Annie Innes's death on 21 Aug 1934 3 Carlton Terrace, Inverness, Invernesshire, Scotland ,
Married to James Innes, Canvasser
At 2:00PM aged 68yrs
Parents: William Smith, labourer (dec) & Helen Ross (dec)
James Innes, Widower was the informant on the death certificate.4,14
James died on 16 Jan 1943 at Inverness, Invernesshire, Invernesshire, at age 80 years and 2 months
Coal Canvasser, Widower of Annie Smith
At 11: 50 AM aged 78yrs
Parents: Alexander Innes, Farm Worker (dec) & --- --- (dec)
Ann H Barnes, Daughter, 6 Spring Terrace, North Shields was the informant on the death certificate.4,15
James's cause of death on 16 Jan 1943 was from Cerebral haemorrhage.
James was buried in Jan 1943 at Tomnahurich Cemetery, Inverness, Invernesshire, Scotland ,
Beatrice Maud Innes
our beloved daughter who
died 24th April 1915 in her 17th year.
And her mother
beloved wife of Sgt. Major James Innes
who died at Inverness
21st Aug 1934 in her 68th year.
Also the above James Innes who died
19th Jan 1943 aged 83 years.16
James Innes's estate was probated on 3 May 1943 at Llandudno, Wales, England,
INNES James of 3 Carlton Terrace Inverness died 16 January 1943.
Confirmation of Donald Henry MacDonald solicitor.
Sealed Llandudno 3 May.17
Children of James Innes and Annie Smith
|Father||Alexander Innes (6 Jul 1838 - 27 Mar 1872)|
- [S76] 1871 Scottish Census (www.scotlandspeople.co.uk: New Register House Edinburgh, 2 April 1871), 1871 Keith Banff, 159/00 001/000 011. Hereinafter cited as 1871 Scottish Census.
- [S99] "Military Record"; www.ancestry.com; James Innes No 24904 - GBM-WO97-5200-059-001 - 011 - via Findmypast. Hereinafter cited as "Military Record."
- [S80] 1881 English Census (www.ancestry.co.uk: PRO England, 3 April 1881), 1881 - Hampshire, Portsea, Portsea town - district Anglesea Barracks RG11/ 1148 page 5. Hereinafter cited as 1881 English Census.
- [S1] Certificate held on file, Held by Ailsa Corlett, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia. Hereinafter cited as Certificate held on file.
- [S14] St Catherines BDM Indexes , via ancestry.co.uk - 1891 Mar Qtr - 1B 733 - Hackney, Greater London, Middlesex.
London Metropolitan Archives, Saint Michael And All Angels, Stoke Newington Common, Register of marriages, P94/MAA, Item 003, Genealogical Society of Qld.
- [S16] 1891 Scottish Census (www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk: New Register House Edinburgh, 5 April 1891), 1891 Cupar Fife. Hereinafter cited as 1891 Scottish Census.
- [S11] Scottish Record Office BDM Indexes, online www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk, 1892 Cupar Fife 420/00 0002. Hereinafter cited as Scottish Record Office BDM Indexes.
- [S11] Scottish Record Office BDM Indexes, online www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk, 1893 - Cupar Fife - 420/00 0136.
- [S11] Scottish Record Office BDM Indexes, online www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk, 1894 Keith Banff, 159/00 0003.
- [S11] Scottish Record Office BDM Indexes, online www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk, 1898 Bervie Kincardine 689/00 0124.
- [S63] 1901 Scottish Census (www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk: New Register House Edinburgh, 31 March 1901), 1901 Bervie Kincardinshire - ED 4 Line 8 Reg No 254. Hereinafter cited as 1901 Scottish Census.
- [S136] GRO Scotland, 1911 Scottish Census (www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk: New Register House Edinburgh, 2 April 1911), 1911 Inverness Invernessshire, 098/0A 022/00 021. Hereinafter cited as 1911 Scottish Census.
- [S11] Scottish Record Office BDM Indexes, online www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk, 1915 Inverness Invernessshire, 098/0A 0248.
- [S11] Scottish Record Office BDM Indexes, online www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk, 1934 - Inverness, Inverness - 098/A0 0357.
- [S11] Scottish Record Office BDM Indexes, online www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk, 1943- Inverness, Inverness - 098/A0 0036.
- [S43] Cemetery Records , Tomnahurich Cemetery via Rootsweb Chat Feb 2015. Hereinafter cited as Cemetery Records.
- [S132] England & Wales, National Probate Calendar (Index of Wills and Adminstrations) 1858-1966, Ancestry.com. England & Wales, National Probate Calendar (Index of Wills and Administrations), 1858-1966 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 2010.
1943 James Innes Page 522, Ancestry.co.uk.