Janet Innes was born on 27 Nov 1818 at Poolside, Keith, Banffshire, Scotland ,
Keith 2nd March 1819
Janet lawful Daughter to Alexander Innes & Isobel Reid in Poolside was born Nov 27th Ulto & baptised this day.
Witnesses John Innes in Poolside and George Ross Junr at Mill of Towrie.1,2
She was the daughter of Alexander Innes and Isobel Reid.
Janet appeared on the 1841 Scottish Census of 6 Jun 1841, at Clerkseat, Grange, Banffshire, Scotland ;
MCCULLOCH James, M, 60, Farmer, Banffshire
INNES Janet, F, 25, Female Servant, Banffshhire
RIDDOCH Lilly, f, 15, Female Servant, Banffshire
(this seems the best possible out of the two)
DUNCAN Alex, 45, Blacksmith Jr, No
INNES Janet, 20, Yes
INNES Barbra, 15, Yes.3
Janet appeared on the 1851 Scottish Census of 30 Mar 1851 at Lower Church Road, Tunniff, Aberdeenshire, Scotland ;
Cannot be certain about Janet in 1851, she may be under another surname.
only possible but query the brother is the following:
Lower Church Road
INNES George, Head, Un, 24, Cabinetmaker journeyman, Mortlach Banffshire
INNES Janet, Sister, Un, 35, Housekeeper, Mortlach Banffshire.4
Janet appeared on the 1861 Scottish Census of 7 Apr 1861 in the household of James Watt at Wester Comalegy, Drumblade, Aberdeenshire, Scotland ;
WATT James, Head, Unm, 42, Farmer 115 acres, Drumblade Aberdeen
INNES Alexander, Servant, Unm, 22, Ploughman, Keith Banff
INNES James, Servant, Unm, 19, Ploughman, Rothiemary Banff
LESLIE Charles, Servant, Unm, 17, Ag lab, Cairney Banff
BROWN Alexander, Servant, 14, Ag Lab, Cairney Banff
INNES Janet, Servant, Unm, 40, Domestic Servant , Keith Banff
ALLAN Isabella, Servant, Unm, 18, Dairy Maid, Huntly Aberdeen.5
Janet appeared on the 1871 Scottish Census of 2 Apr 1871 in the household of Alexander Innes at Hillside, Keith, Banffshire, Scotland ;
INNES Alex, Head, Unm, 32, Crofter of 5 acres, Keith Banff, 1 rooms with windows and 2 children at school
INNES James, Son, Unm, 8, Scholar, Keith Banff
WATT James, Nephew, Unm, 6, Scholar, Drumblade, Aberdeen
INNES Janet, Mother, Unm, 52, Keith Banff.6
In 1880 Janet
It appears that Janet was looking after Children in the 1880's.
William Pirie was born 29 Feb 1880 at Huntly Aberdeen to George Pirie, Farm Servant and Bella Andrews, Farmers daughter.
Both Mother and Father signed the birth certificate.
On the 1881 Census, Isabella is a 16yr daughter of Jessie and William Andrew.
George Pirie was also only 16yr in 1881.
William Pirie recorded as William A Price (ancestry) is living with his Grandmother Jessie Andrew, in Huntly Aberdeen in 1891.
The other child is Janet Walker Miller.
She was born 12 Jan 1879, Keith Banff to William Miller, Clerk & Robina Walker, Domestic Servant.
Both Mother and Father signed the birth certificate.
Janet remains with Janet and is listed as Adopted daughter on the 1891 Census.7,8,9
Janet appeared on the 1881 Scottish Census of 3 Apr 1881 at Hillside Croft, Keith, Banffshire, Scotland , also listed in the household was James, Jane and Janet ;
INNES Janet, Head, U, 61, F, Farms 4 Ac Arable, Keith, Banff
WATT James, Son, U, 16, M, Scholar, Drumblade, Aberdeen
INNES Jane, Sister, U, 56, F, Retired Housekeeper, Keith, Banff
MILLER Mary, U, 2, Boarder, F, Keith, Banff (is this Janet Walker Miller ?)
PIRIE William, 1, M, Boarder, M, Huntly, Aberdeen.10
Janet appeared on the 1891 Scottish Census of 5 Apr 1891 at Keith, Banffshire, Banffshire, also listed in the household was Jane and Janet ;
INNES Janet, Head, Unm, 72, Crofter, Keith Banff, 3 rooms with windows
INNES Jane, Sister, Unm, 67, Crofters sister, Keith Banff
MILLER Janet Walker, Adopted Child, 12, Scholar, Keith Banff.11
Janet died on 8 Jan 1894 at Hillside, Western Chalders, Keith, Banffshire, Scotland , at age 75 years, 1 month and 12 days
at 8am, aged 74 years.
Parents: Alexander Innes, labourer (dec) and Isabella Innes MS Reid (dec)
James Innes, Grandson, 36 Union St, Cupar, Fife was the informant of her death.1,12
Janet's cause of death on 8 Jan 1894 was from Chronic Bronchitis, several years
Influenza 8 days.
Children of Janet Innes
|Father||Alexander Innes (1791 - 15 Feb 1864)|
|Mother||Isobel Reid (1794 - 11 May 1863)|
- [S1] Certificate held on file, Held by Ailsa Corlett, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia. Hereinafter cited as Certificate held on file.
- [S32] GROS, Scottish OPR's (www.scotlandspeople.co.uk: pre 1855), 1819 Keith Banff - 159/0030 0526. Hereinafter cited as Scottish OPR's.
- [S82] 1841 Scottish Census (www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk: New Register House Edinburgh, 6 June 1841), 1841 FreeCEN Grange Banffshire - 156, Folio 1 page 6. Hereinafter cited as 1841 Scottish Census.
- [S28] 1851 Scottish Census (www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk: New Register House Edinburgh, 30 March 1851), 1851 Tunniff Aberdeen - 247/00 00200 024. Hereinafter cited as 1851 Scottish Census.
- [S79] 1861 Scottish Census (www.scotlandspeople.co.uk: New Register House Edinburgh, 7 April 1861), 1861 - Drumblade Aberdeenshire 188/00 002/00 006. Hereinafter cited as 1861 Scottish Census.
- [S76] 1871 Scottish Census (www.scotlandspeople.co.uk: New Register House Edinburgh, 2 April 1871), 1871 Keith Banff, 159/00 001/000 011. Hereinafter cited as 1871 Scottish Census.
- [S11] Scottish Record Office BDM Indexes, online www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk, 1880 Huntly Aberdeen 202/00 0046 with Certificate. Hereinafter cited as Scottish Record Office BDM Indexes.
- [S15] 1881 Scottish Census (www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk: New Register House Edinburgh, 3 April 1881), Ancestry.co.uk - Forgue Aberdeenshire, ED2 Page 11, Reg 194. Hereinafter cited as 1881 Scottish Census.
- [S16] 1891 Scottish Census (www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk: New Register House Edinburgh, 5 April 1891), Ancetry.co.uk - Huntly Aberdeenshire, Ed5 Page 10 Reg 202. Hereinafter cited as 1891 Scottish Census.
- [S15] 1881 Scottish Census, FHL Film 0203440 GRO Ref Vol 159 EnumDist 7 Page 5.
- [S16] 1891 Scottish Census, Keith Banff, 159/00 006/000 004.
- [S11] Scottish Record Office BDM Indexes, online www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk, 1894 Keith Banff, 159/00 0003.