John Jarron was born on 12 Dec 1822 at Banff, Banffshire, Scotland ,
Parents at this stage have not yet been identified, and his date of birth comes from his Seaman Records.
John appeared on the 1841 Scottish Census of 6 Jun 1841 in the household of John Jarron at Albion Street, Aberdeen, Aberdeenshire, Scotland ;
Seems to be a Boarding house
GERRARD John, M, 20, M Seaman, Y.1
Bt 1845 - 1854 John Jarron was recorded on Seamen's Records as
Born at Banff in the County of Banff, 12th Dec 1822.
Height: 5ft 9 In
Hair: Dark Brown
Marks: J G on Right Arm
First went to Sea as: Fisherman in the Year 1838
Not served in Royal Navy or Foreign Service
When unemployed, resides at Aberdeen
Age when Ticketed : 23 (1845)
Can Write: No
Issued at Aberdeen 23 June 1845
Reported Voyages etc:
Cancelled, It lost at Sea, Renewed 449053.2
John Jarron married Ann Watt, daughter of William Watt and Jean West, on 13 Dec 1846 at Aberdour, Aberdeenshire, Scotland ,
John Jerret/Jarron in the Parish of Tranent and Ann Watt in this Parish were three times proclaimed and married by the Revd W Gardiner.
(This is the only marriage that is the most likely for Ann Watt and John Gerrard and both parishes seem to fit - still questions re the results need to be confirmed by myself.)3,4
John died on 25 Aug 1862 at Calcutta, West Bengal, India, at age 39 years, 8 months and 13 days
(City of Bombay) No 43719, Glasgow
Died Calcutta 25/8/1862. Effects to Kin (?)
Wages and Effects £22 7s 8d, sent to Board of Trade 20/2/1863.5
John's cause of death on 25 Aug 1862 was from Cholera.
Children of John Jarron and Ann Watt
- [S82] 1841 Scottish Census (www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk: New Register House Edinburgh, 6 June 1841), 1841 Aberdeen, Aberdeenshire, Piece 168/ Folio 5/ Page 30. Hereinafter cited as 1841 Scottish Census.
- [S157] "Seamen's Records"; Ancestry.co.uk; Merchant Navy Seamen 1835 - 1941 - Date range 1845 -1854 BT113, Piece No 86. Hereinafter cited as "Seamen's Records."
- [S1] Certificate held on file, Held by Ailsa Corlett, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia. Hereinafter cited as Certificate held on file.
- [S32] GROS, Scottish OPR's (www.scotlandspeople.co.uk: pre 1855), 1846 Aberdour Aberdeenshire, 169/ 30/266. Hereinafter cited as Scottish OPR's.
- [S156] Maritime BDM Indexes online: UK Registers online, findmypast.co.uk . Online www.findmypast.co.uk/ www.ancestry.co.uk;, 1862 - BT153 - Registers of Wages and Effects of Deceased Seamen. Box 0005 Page 144
Ship "City of Bombay."