George McKay was born on 29 Sep 1884 at Bartlet Place, Banff, Banffshire, Scotland ,
At 7 AM
Parents: George MacKay, Sailmaker (Journeyman) (Domicil - 78 Clergy Street, Macduff) & Margaret MacKay MS King
Married: 1882 March 3rd Banff.
Margaret MacKay, Mother was the informant of the birth.1,2
He was the son of George McKay and Maggie King.
George appeared on the 1891 Scottish Census of 5 Apr 1891 in the household of George McKay at Castle Street, Cullen, Banffshire, Scotland ;
MCKAY George, Head, M, 32, Sailmaker, Banff
MCKAY Maggie, Wife, M, 29, Sailmakers Wife, Macduff
MCKAY Alexander, Son, 8, Scholar, Banff
MCKAY George, Son, 6, Scholar, Cullen
MCKAY Robert, Son, 3, Cullen
MCKAY Isabella, Dau, 6mths, Rathven.3
George appeared on the 1901 Scottish Census of 31 Mar 1901 in the household of George McKay at North Castle Street, Cullen, Banffshire, Scotland ;
MCKAY George, Head, M, 45, Rope & Sailmaker Foreman, Macduff
MCKAY Maggie, Wife, M, 39, Rope & Sailmker Foreman Wife, Banff
MCKAY Alexander K, Son, S, 18, Rope & Sailmaker Foreman, Macduff
MCKAY George, Son, S, 16, Baker Apprentice, Banff
MCKAY Robert, Son, 13, Scholar, Cullen
MCKAY Isabella, Dau, 10, Scholar, Cullen
MCKAY Ethel, Dau, 5, Cullen
MCKAY Wallace, Son, 2, Cullen
MCKAY Margaretta, Dau, 1, Cullen.4
George McKay married Sarah Paterson on 26 Sep 1919 at Grand Hotel, Union Terrace, Aberdeen, Aberdeenshire, Scotland ,
After Banns: According to the Forms of hte Established Church of Scotland
Baker (Journeyman), Bachelor, aged 34
Usual Res: 8 North Castle Street, Cullen
Parents: George McKay, Sailmaker (Master) & Margaret McKay MS King
Spinster, aged 32
Usual Res: 17 High Shore, Macduff
Parents: George Paterson, Fisherman (dec) & Annie Paterson MS McCallum
Witnesses: Alexander King McKay & Helen Ann Wood.1,5
George McKay immigrated on 6 Jan 1920 from Liverpool via "Empress of France " to St John, New Brunswick, Canada, also on board were listed Sarah
Left Liverpool 7th Jan 1920
No 68948 - 3rd Class
McKay George, Baker, aged 35, Scotland
McKay Sarah, Wife, aged 32, Scotland
Arrival in Canada 16 Jan 1920
McKay Mr George, 35, to Brother in Law, George in Toronto. Do you intend to permanently reside in Canada - Yes, born Scotland, Destination Toronto, Occupation Baker.
McKay Mrs, 32, born Scotland, Destination Toronto, Occupation H'Wife, to 951 Landsdowne Ave.
Description of Passenger:
Height: 5ft 7in, Complexion: Fresh, Colur of eyes: Grey, Colour of Hair: Fair.
McKay George, aged 35, Baker, born Banff Scotland. Presbyterian
Object: to settle in Canada
Money in possession: $50
Able to read and write: Yes
Passage paid by Self
Destined to Relative: Brother in Law, George Paterson, Lansdown Ave, Toronto
Relative in Country from where came from: Father, George McKay, 8 North Castle St, Cullen
McKay Sarah, aged 32, Born Banff. With husband as forms George McKay
Dated 11 Dec 1919.6
George appeared on the 1921 Canadian Census of 1 Jun 1921 at 205 Laughton, York West, Toronto, Ontario, Canada, also listed in the household was Sarah and Margaret ;
Renter, Head, Married 35, Scotland, immigrated 1920, Presb, Baker.
Wife, Married, 34, Scotland, immigrated 1920, Presb.
Daughter, aged 1, born Ontario.7
George died on 25 Aug 1971 at Queensway General Hospital, Toronto, Ontario, Canada, at age 86 years, 10 months and 27 days.8
George's death notice appeared on 26 Aug 1971 in the "Totonto Star", Canada,
On Wednesday, August 25, 1971, at Queensway General Hospital. George McKay beloved husband of hte late Sarah McKay and dear father of Margaret (Mrs J Henderson), Grace (Mrs W Hillis). Dear grandfather of Robert, George, Billie, David and John.
Resting at the Jerrett Funeral Chapel 1141 St Clair Ave. W (near Dufferin).
Service Saturday at 10.30am.
Interment Prospect Cemetery.9
George was buried on 28 Aug 1971 at Prospect Cemetery, Toronto, Ontario, Canada.10
Children of George McKay and Sarah Paterson
|Father||George McKay (17 May 1857 - 14 Mar 1926)|
|Mother||Maggie King (1861 - 17 Apr 1948)|
- [S1] Certificate held on file, Held by Ailsa Corlett, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia. Hereinafter cited as Certificate held on file.
- [S11] Scottish Record Office BDM Indexes, online www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk, 1884 Macduff Banff, 155/ A2 0118. Hereinafter cited as Scottish Record Office BDM Indexes.
- [S16] 1891 Scottish Census (www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk: New Register House Edinburgh, 5 April 1891), 1891 Cullen Banffshire, RG12 Piece 150 Folio 1 Page 9 - via Findmypast.co.uk. Hereinafter cited as 1891 Scottish Census.
- [S63] 1901 Scottish Census (www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk: New Register House Edinburgh, 31 March 1901), 1901 Cullen Banffshire, RG13, Piece 150, Folio 1, Page 16 - via Findmypast.co.uk. Hereinafter cited as 1901 Scottish Census.
- [S11] Scottish Record Office BDM Indexes, online www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk, 1919 ST Machar Aberdeen, 168/02 0415.
- [S61] Passenger Lists, Shipping Records ), UK Outward Passenger Lists, 1890 - 1960, via Ancestry.co.uk - BT26 - The Canadian Pacific Ocean Services Ltd, Offical No 136266. Hereinafter cited as Shipping Records.
- [S198] Statistics of Canada Fonds, 1921 Canadian Census (Library and Archives Canada, Ottawa: www.ancestry.ca, 1 June 1921), Series RG31 - Sixth Census of Canada, 1921 Ontario York West (145) Toronto, page 20. Hereinafter cited as 1921 Canadian Census.
- [S10] Newspaper, Various Papers, "Toronto Star" Thursday August 26, 1971 - via Ontario mailing list Fred Long. Hereinafter cited as Newspaper Article.
- [S10] Newspaper Article, "Toronto Star " Thursday August 26, 1971 - via Ontario mailing list Fred Long.
- [S43] Cemetery Records , Prospect Cemetery, Section 3, Lot 1345. Hereinafter cited as Cemetery Records.