John McKay was born c 1838 at Eddrachillis, Sutherland, Scotland .
He was the son of George MacKay and Isabella McKenzie.
John appeared on the 1841 Scottish Census of 6 Jun 1841 in the household of George MacKay at Rhivichie, Eddrachillis, Sutherland, Scotland ;
McKAY George, 30, Coter, Sutherland Yes
McKAY Isabella, 25, Sutherland Yes
McKAY John, 3, Sutherland Yes
McKAY Alexrina, 1, Sutherland Yes.1
John appeared on the 1871 Scottish Census of 2 Apr 1871 in the household of George MacKay at 9 Dockiewell Street, MacDuff, Banffshire, Scotland ;
McKAY George, 60, Head, Mason's Labourer, born Sutherlandshire
McKAY Isabella, 56, Wife, born Inverness
McKAY Margaret, 18, Dau, Domestic Servant, Macduff Banff
McKAY John, 33, Son, Ag Labourer, Sutherland
McKAY George, 14, Son, Apprentice Sail Maker, Macduff Banff.2
John McKay witnessed the death of George MacKay on 18 Feb 1887 7 James Street, MacDuff, Banffshire, Scotland ,
At 4.15PM aged 76 years
Pauper (formerly a General Labourer)
Married to Isabella MacKenzie
Parents: John MacKay, Shepherd (dec) & Margaret Forbes (dec)
John Mackay, Son was present when he passed away.3,4
John appeared on the 1891 Scottish Census of 5 Apr 1891 at James Street, MacDuff, Banffshire, Scotland , also listed in the household was Isabella ;
McKAY John, Head, 45 (sic), Unm, General Labourer, Apiebave (sic) Sutherland
McKAY Isabella, Mother, 74, Widow, Fort Augustus, Inverness
GUNN Christina, 14, Niece, Scholar, Macduff Banff.5
John McKay witnessed the death of Isabella McKay on 30 Sep 1897 MacDuff, Banffshire, Banffshire,
At 5.45 AM aged 82 years.
Widow of George MacKay, General Labourer
Parents: Alexander McKenzie, Flesher (Master) (dec) & Helen Weir (dec)
John MacKay, Son was present when she passed away.3,6
|Father||George MacKay (1809 - 18 Feb 1887)|
|Mother||Isabella McKenzie (c 1816 - 30 Sep 1897)|
- [S82] 1841 Scottish Census (www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk: New Register House Edinburgh, 6 June 1841), 1841 Eddrachillis Sutherland, ED5 Page 2, Line 1370, Rego No 49, via Ancestry.co.uk
1841 049/00 005/00 001 (recorded as MacKay, yet orginial is McKay). Hereinafter cited as 1841 Scottish Census.
- [S76] 1871 Scottish Census (www.scotlandspeople.co.uk: New Register House Edinburgh, 2 April 1871), 1871 MacDuff Banff, ED 8 Page 19 Line 1 Rego 147/1 Gamrie, Macduff Banffshire via Ancestry.co.uk. Hereinafter cited as 1871 Scottish Census.
- [S1] Certificate held on file, Held by Ailsa Corlett, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia. Hereinafter cited as Certificate held on file.
- [S11] Scottish Record Office BDM Indexes, online www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk, 1887 MacDuff Banff, 155/A2 0009. Hereinafter cited as Scottish Record Office BDM Indexes.
- [S16] 1891 Scottish Census (www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk: New Register House Edinburgh, 5 April 1891), 1891 Macduff (Gamrie) Banff, Ed 3 Page 29, Line 16, Rego 155A/2 - via Ancestry.co.uk. Hereinafter cited as 1891 Scottish Census.
- [S11] Scottish Record Office BDM Indexes, online www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk, 1897 MacDuff Banff, 155/A2 0051.