Margaretta Hamley McKay
Margaretta Hamley McKay was born on 8 Oct 1899 at North Castle Street, Cullen, Banffshire, Scotland ,
Margaretta Hamley MacKay
at 10.20 AM
Parents: George MacKay, Sailmaker (Jouurneyman) & Maggie MacKay MS King
Married: 1882 March 4th Banff
George MacKay, Father was present at the birth.1,2
She was the daughter of George McKay and Maggie King.
Margaretta appeared on the 1901 Scottish Census of 31 Mar 1901 in the household of George McKay at Cullen, Banffshire, Banffshire;
MCKAY George, Head, M, 45, Rope & Sailmaker Foreman, Macduff
MCKAY Maggie, Wife, M, 39, Rope & Sailmker Foreman Wife, Banff
MCKAY Alexander K, Son, S, 18, Rope & Sailmaker Foreman, Macduff
MCKAY George, Son, S, 16, Baker Apprentice, Banff
MCKAY Robert, Son, 13, Scholar, Cullen
MCKAY Isabella, Dau, 10, Scholar, Cullen
MCKAY Ethel, Dau, 5, Cullen
MCKAY Wallace, Son, 2, Cullen
MCKAY Margaretta, Dau, 1, Cullen.3
Margaretta appeared on the 1911 Scottish Census of 2 Apr 1911 in the household of George McKay at 8 Castle Street North, Cullen, Banffshire, Scotland ;
MCKAY George, Head, 55, M, Sail Maker, Employer, At Home, Macduff - 5 rooms with one or more windows.
MCKAY Maggie, Wife, 49, M, Married 29 years, 11 children, 9 still living, Banff
MCKAY Alexander, Son, 28, Single, Sail Maker, worker, at home, Macduff
MCKAY Wallace, Son, 12, School, Cullen
MCKAY Margaret, Dau, 11, School, Cullen
MCKAY Williamina, Dau, 8, School, Cullen
MCKAY Ruth, Dau, 6, School, Cullen.4
Margaretta was in the photo with Williamina McKay taken c 1920;
Photo taken of the 4 Sisters and young boy.
Young boy in the photo may be William Ewing McKay, the son of Robert and Mary, who was born in 1911, so would be around 9 years of age if this photo was taken in 1920 before Margaretta married.5
Margaretta Hamley McKay married George Burnett on 17 Sep 1920 at 8 North Castle Street, Cullen, Banffshire, Scotland ,
Engineer on Drifter, Bachelor, aged 28
Ususal Res: Tochineal Tile Works
Parents: James Burnett, Brick Work Manager & Margaret Burnett MS George
Domestic Servant, Spinster, aged 21
Usual Res: 8 North Castle Street, Cullen
Parents: George MacKay, Sailmaker & Maggie MacKay MS King
Witnesses: Lily Burnett & Alex McKay.1,6
As of 17 Sep 1920,her married name was Burnett.
Margaretta immigrated on 9 Apr 1927 from Greenock, Scotland via "Montclare" to St John, New Brunswick, Canada, with George Burnett
"Montclare" was also going to the USA, but landed 17th April 1927 in St John, New Brunswick Canada.
BURNETT George, 6 No Castle St, Cullen, to St John, Farmworker, 36, - born King Edwards - going to Employer. Mr Garratt, Beemsville Ont.
Father - James Bennett (sic), Tilworks, Techineal, Cullen
BURNETT Margretta, Housewife, 27, - born Cullen
BURNETT George McIver (sic), School, 6
BURNETT Williamina R, School, 5
BURNETT James, 2.7
Margaretta died on 7 Jan 1981 at Toronto, Ontario, Canada, at age 81 years, 2 months and 30 days.8
Family: Margaretta Hamley McKay and George Burnett
|Father||George McKay (17 May 1857 - 14 Mar 1926)|
|Mother||Maggie King (1861 - 17 Apr 1948)|
- [S1] Certificate held on file, Held by Ailsa Corlett, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia. Hereinafter cited as Certificate held on file.
- [S11] Scottish Record Office BDM Indexes, online www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk, 1899 Cullen Banffshire, 150/00 0045. Hereinafter cited as Scottish Record Office BDM Indexes.
- [S63] 1901 Scottish Census (www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk: New Register House Edinburgh, 31 March 1901), 1901 Cullen Banffshire, RG13, Piece 150, Folio 1, Page 16 - via Findmypast.co.uk. Hereinafter cited as 1901 Scottish Census.
- [S136] GRO Scotland, 1911 Scottish Census (www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk: New Register House Edinburgh, 2 April 1911), 1911 Cullen Banff, 150/00 001/00 008. Hereinafter cited as 1911 Scottish Census.
- [S196] Letter or email from Ian Coull (England) to Ailsa Corlett, Various letters or emails; Held by Ailsa Corlett (Brisbane, Queensland, Australia) Email from Ian Jan 2017.
- [S11] Scottish Record Office BDM Indexes, online www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk, 1920 Cullen Banffshire, 150/00 0010.
- [S61] Passenger Lists, Shipping Records ), 1927 UK Outward passenger Lists, 1890 - 1960 via Ancestry - Offical Number 145964
BT27 1149/6/1. Hereinafter cited as Shipping Records.
- [S139] Ancestry Public Member Trees, online www.ancestry.co.uk, various Ancestry Trees state she died in 1981.. Hereinafter cited as Ancestry Public Member Trees.