Williamina McKay was born on 30 May 1902 at Seafield Street, Cullen, Banffshire, Scotland ,
at 3.30 AM
Parents: George MacKay, Sailmaker (Journeyman) & Maggie MacKay MS King
Married: 4 March 1882, Banff
George MacKay, Father was present at the birth.1,2
She was the daughter of George McKay and Maggie King.
Williamina appeared on the 1911 Scottish Census of 2 Apr 1911 in the household of George McKay at 8 Castle Street North, Cullen, Banffshire, Scotland ;
MCKAY George, Head, 55, M, Sail Maker, Employer, At Home, Macduff - 5 rooms with one or more windows.
MCKAY Maggie, Wife, 49, M, Married 29 years, 11 children, 9 still living, Banff
MCKAY Alexander, Son, 28, Single, Sail Maker, worker, at home, Macduff
MCKAY Wallace, Son, 12, School, Cullen
MCKAY Margaret, Dau, 11, School, Cullen
MCKAY Williamina, Dau, 8, School, Cullen
MCKAY Ruth, Dau, 6, School, Cullen.3
Williamina posed for a photo c 1920
Photo taken of the 4 Sisters and young boy.
Young boy in the photo may be William Ewing McKay, the son of Robert and Mary, who was born in 1911, so would be around 9 years of age if this photo was taken in 1920 before Margaretta married.4
Front Left - Isabella, May be William Ewing McKay, Margaretta
perhaps c 1920 before Margaretta got married
courtsey of Ian Coull
Williamina McKay married Gordon Leslie Paterson on 10 Oct 1924 at Lintmill Seafield, Cullen, Banffshire, Scotland ,
After Banns according to the Forms of the United Free Church of Scotland
Gordon Leslie Paterson
Farm Servant, Bachelor aged 23
Usual Res: No 10 Bridge Street, Port Knockie
Parents: Frank Paterson, Gardener & Jessie Paterson MS Gordon
Domestic Servant, Spinster, aged 20
Usual Res: No 8 North Castle Street, Cullen
Parents: George McKay, Sailmaker & Margaret McKay MS King
Witnesses: Andrew Cooper, Tochineal Cullen & Ruth McDonald McKay, No 8 North Castle Street, Cullen.1,5
As of 10 Oct 1924,her married name was Paterson.
Williamina witnessed the marriage of John Findlay and Isabella McKay on 18 Feb 1949 Office of the Registrar for the District of Cullen, Cullen, Banffshire, Scotland .1,6
Williamina posed for a photo on 30 May 1982 Cullen, Banffshire, Scotland ,
Williamina celebrated her 80th Birthday surrounded by all her family
Ian remembers that in order to get everyone into the photo, they needed to ask a passerby out on the street to come into the back garden to take the picture. - Wonderful memories, as it was a great idea to get everyone into the photo.
Williamina died on 22 Mar 1992 at Buckie, Banffshire, Scotland , at age 89 years, 9 months and 22 days.7
Williamina was buried in Mar 1992 at Keith Cemetery, Keith, Banffshire, Scotland ,
Gordon L Paterson
who died at Cullen
on 8th October 1968
aged 67 years
Beloved husband of
who died at Buckie
on 22nd march 1992
in her 90th Year
and Grand Parents.4
Jessie Gordon Paterson (11/11/24 - 06/08/84)
Margaret King Paterson (28/04/26 - 14/10/2008)
Please contact me if wanting contact with family members.
Family: Williamina McKay and Gordon Leslie Paterson
|Father||George McKay (17 May 1857 - 14 Mar 1926)|
|Mother||Maggie King (1861 - 17 Apr 1948)|
- [S1] Certificate held on file, Held by Ailsa Corlett, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia. Hereinafter cited as Certificate held on file.
- [S11] Scottish Record Office BDM Indexes, online www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk, 1902 Cullen Banff, 150/00 0022. Hereinafter cited as Scottish Record Office BDM Indexes.
- [S136] GRO Scotland, 1911 Scottish Census (www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk: New Register House Edinburgh, 2 April 1911), 1911 Cullen Banff, 150/00 001/00 008. Hereinafter cited as 1911 Scottish Census.
- [S196] Letter or email from Ian Coull (England) to Ailsa Corlett, Various letters or emails; Held by Ailsa Corlett (Brisbane, Queensland, Australia) Email from Ian Jan 2017.
- [S11] Scottish Record Office BDM Indexes, online www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk, 1924 Seafield Banff, 167/00 0006.
- [S11] Scottish Record Office BDM Indexes, online www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk, 1949 Cullen Banffshire, 150/00 0006.
- [S196] Letter or email, Ian Coull to Ailsa Corlett, Various letters or emails email from Ian - Feb 2015 with picture of the headstone.