Sarah Paterson was born on 10 Jul 1887 at Banff, Banffshire, Scotland ,
Parents: George Paterson & Annie McCallum
who married: 26 Sept 1873, Banff, Banffshire.
Sarah Paterson married George McKay, son of George McKay and Maggie King, on 26 Sep 1919 at Grand Hotel, Union Terrace, Aberdeen, Aberdeenshire, Scotland ,
After Banns: According to the Forms of hte Established Church of Scotland
Baker (Journeyman), Bachelor, aged 34
Usual Res: 8 North Castle Street, Cullen
Parents: George McKay, Sailmaker (Master) & Margaret McKay MS King
Spinster, aged 32
Usual Res: 17 High Shore, Macduff
Parents: George Paterson, Fisherman (dec) & Annie Paterson MS McCallum
Witnesses: Alexander King McKay & Helen Ann Wood.1,2
As of 26 Sep 1919,her married name was McKay.
Sarah immigrated on 6 Jan 1920 from Liverpool via "Empress of France " to St John, New Brunswick, Canada, with George McKay
Left Liverpool 7th Jan 1920
No 68948 - 3rd Class
McKay George, Baker, aged 35, Scotland
McKay Sarah, Wife, aged 32, Scotland
Arrival in Canada 16 Jan 1920
McKay Mr George, 35, to Brother in Law, George in Toronto. Do you intend to permanently reside in Canada - Yes, born Scotland, Destination Toronto, Occupation Baker.
McKay Mrs, 32, born Scotland, Destination Toronto, Occupation H'Wife, to 951 Landsdowne Ave.
Description of Passenger:
Height: 5ft 7in, Complexion: Fresh, Colur of eyes: Grey, Colour of Hair: Fair.
McKay George, aged 35, Baker, born Banff Scotland. Presbyterian
Object: to settle in Canada
Money in possession: $50
Able to read and write: Yes
Passage paid by Self
Destined to Relative: Brother in Law, George Paterson, Lansdown Ave, Toronto
Relative in Country from where came from: Father, George McKay, 8 North Castle St, Cullen
McKay Sarah, aged 32, Born Banff. With husband as forms George McKay
Dated 11 Dec 1919.3
Sarah appeared on the 1921 Canadian Census of 1 Jun 1921 in the household of George McKay 205 Laughton, York West, Toronto, Ontario, Canada;
Renter, Head, Married 35, Scotland, immigrated 1920, Presb, Baker.
Wife, Married, 34, Scotland, immigrated 1920, Presb.
Daughter, aged 1, born Ontario.4
Sarah died on 27 Dec 1952 at 36 Gilbert Avenue, Toronto, Ontario, Canada, at age 65 years, 5 months and 17 days.5
Sarah's death notice appeared on 29 Dec 1952 in the "Totonto Star", Canada,
At her late residence 36 Gilbert Ave, Toronto on Sat, Dec 27, 1952, Sarah Paterson, beloved wife of George McKay; dear mother of Margaret (Mrs George Henderson) and Grace (Mrs William Hillis); sister of Helen (Mrs John Watt) and William Paterson both of Macduff, Scotland.
Resting at the Jerrett Funeral Chapel, 1141 St. Clair Ave. West (near Dufferin).
Service Tuesday at 2pm.
Interment Prospect Cemetery.6
Sarah was buried on 30 Dec 1952 at Prospect Cemetery, Toronto, Ontario, Canada,
In Loving Memory of
July 10, 1887
Dec 27, 1952
Beloved Wife of
"Thy Will be Done."7
Children of Sarah Paterson and George McKay
- [S1] Certificate held on file, Held by Ailsa Corlett, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia. Hereinafter cited as Certificate held on file.
- [S11] Scottish Record Office BDM Indexes, online www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk, 1919 ST Machar Aberdeen, 168/02 0415. Hereinafter cited as Scottish Record Office BDM Indexes.
- [S61] Passenger Lists, Shipping Records ), UK Outward Passenger Lists, 1890 - 1960, via Ancestry.co.uk - BT26 - The Canadian Pacific Ocean Services Ltd, Offical No 136266. Hereinafter cited as Shipping Records.
- [S198] Statistics of Canada Fonds, 1921 Canadian Census (Library and Archives Canada, Ottawa: www.ancestry.ca, 1 June 1921), Series RG31 - Sixth Census of Canada, 1921 Ontario York West (145) Toronto, page 20. Hereinafter cited as 1921 Canadian Census.
- [S10] Newspaper, Various Papers, Toronto Star Monday December 29 1952 - via Ontario mailing list Fred Long. Hereinafter cited as Newspaper Article.
- [S10] Newspaper Article, "Toronto Star" Monday December 29 1952 - via Ontario mailing list Fred Long.
- [S43] Cemetery Records , Prospect Cemetery, Section 3, Lot 1345. Hereinafter cited as Cemetery Records.