Edith Gerrard was born on 3 Feb 1888 at 67 Marischal Street, Peterhead, Aberdeenshire, Scotland ,
George Gerrard, father was present at the birth.1,2
She was the daughter of George Gerrard and Maggie McKay.
Edith appeared on the 1891 Scottish Census of 5 Apr 1891 in the household of George Gerrard at 39 Maiden Street, Peterhead, Aberdeenshire, Scotland ;
GERRARD George, Head, Mar, 37, Slater, employed, Macduff, Banff, 2 rooms with windows
GERRARD Maggie, Wife, Mar, 36, Macduff, Banff
GERRARD Maggie Ann, Dau, Unm, 14, Scholar, Macduff, Banff
GERRARD William G, Son, 12, Scholar, Macduff, Banff
GERRARD Kenneth, Son, 8, Scholar, Macduff, Banff
GERRARD Edith, dau, 3, Peterhead Aberdeen
GERRARD Hannah W, Dau, 1mth, Peterhead Aberdeen.3
Edith appeared on the 1901 Scottish Census of 31 Mar 1901 in the household of George Gerrard at 40 Back Street, Rosehearty, Aberdeenshire, Scotland ;
GERRARD George, Head, Mar, 48, Slater, Employer, Macduff Banff, 3 rooms with windows
GERRARD Margaret, Wife, Mar, 47, Macduff, Banff
GERRARD William G, Son, S, 23, Slater (journeyman) Worker, Macduff, Banff
GERRARD Kenneith, Son, S, 19, Slater (apprentice) Worker, Macduff, Banff
GERRARD Edith, Dau, 14, Scholar, Peterhead, Aberdeen
GERRARD Hannah W, Dau, 11, Scholar, Peterhead Aberdeen
GERRARD Caroline, Dau, 8, Scholar, Rosehearty, Aberdeen.4
Edith witnessed the marriage of Jessie Third and Kenneth MacKenzie Gerrard on 24 Nov 1911 Dalyrmple Cafe, Fraserburgh, Aberdeenshire, Scotland .1,5
Edith Gerrard married George Third, son of William Third and Ann Gall, on 24 Jan 1919 at 359 Union Street, Aberdeen, Aberdeenshire, Scotland ,
By declaration in pressence of
Caroline Gerrard, 14 King Street, Rosehearty and David Edward Third, Fortrue, Longside
? (bachelor) aged 36,
Res: Fortrue, Longside
Parents: William Third, Farmer and Ann Third MS Gall (dec)
Housekeeper, (spinster) aged 30,
Res: 14 King Street, Rosehearty
Parents: George Gerrard, Slater (master) and Margaret Gerrard MS McKay
By Warrent of Shieriff.1,6
As of 24 Jan 1919,her married name was Third.
Edith immigrated on 31 Jul 1920 left London via " Orsova" for Australia and New Zealand with George Third
No 247 & 248, 3rd Class
THIRD Mr G to Sydney, Farm Servant, aged 37, final destination New Zealand
THIRD Mrs E, to Sydney, Housewife, 32, final destination New Zealand.7
Edith was found on a passenger list dated 23 Jul 1931 going from Wellington New Zealand via "Rangitiki" to Southampton, England,
No 224; 225 & 226, 3rd Class
THIRD Mrs G, Domestic Duties, aged 42
THIRD Mast G, Scholar, 4
THIRD Miss J, 2
Address in UK: Fraserburgh Aberdeen
June is recorded under the name of Third for this trip, as she travelled to Scotland when aged 3yrs with her Aunty Edith Third nee Gerrard and her son Stephen. Edith paid for her trip over so that June could keep Stephen company on the long voyage.8
Edith was in the photo with Marion Pickard Scott taken in Aug 1931 Tannochside, Lanarkshire, Scotland ;
Photo taken with Edith Third and her sister - most likely Hannah Gordon, when she brought June Scott to Scotland in 1931.
Edith was found on a passenger list dated 8 Apr 1932 going departed Southampton England via "Rangitane" to Wellington, New Zealand ,
No 428, 3rd Class
THIRD Edith & Stephen
Last address was C/0 W G Longside, Maitland, Lancs.
Edith was recorded as Home Duties aged 42 and Stephen aged 2.9
Edith died on 27 Jul 1943 at Oamaru, Otago, New Zealand , at age 55 years, 5 months and 24 days.10
Edith was buried on 30 Jul 1943 at Oamaru Cemetery, Oamaru, Otago, New Zealand ,
ILMO Edith beloved wife of George Third of Weston died 27 July 1943 aged 54 years. Also George Third loved husband of Ettie who died 3 April 1964.11
Edith married George Third, brother to (Aunty) Ruby Morris nee Third.
Family: Edith Gerrard and George Third
|Father||George Gerrard (c 1853 - 9 Feb 1922)|
|Mother||Maggie McKay (c 1853 - 26 Apr 1919)|
- [S1] Certificate held on file, Held by Ailsa Corlett, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia. Hereinafter cited as Certificate held on file.
- [S11] Scottish Record Office BDM Indexes, online www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk, Peterhead Aberdeen, 232/01 0046. Hereinafter cited as Scottish Record Office BDM Indexes.
- [S16] 1891 Scottish Census (www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk: New Register House Edinburgh, 5 April 1891), 1891 Peterhead Aberdeen, 232/01 012/000 008. Hereinafter cited as 1891 Scottish Census.
- [S63] 1901 Scottish Census (www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk: New Register House Edinburgh, 31 March 1901), 1901 Pitsligo Aberdeen, 233/00 002/000 011. Hereinafter cited as 1901 Scottish Census.
- [S11] Scottish Record Office BDM Indexes, online www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk, Fraserburgh Aberdeen, 196/00 0065.
- [S11] Scottish Record Office BDM Indexes, online www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk, 1919 St Nicholas Aberdeen, 168/01 0067.
- [S61] Passenger Lists, Shipping Records ), 1920 via Findmypast.co.uk - Outbound Passagers.. Hereinafter cited as Shipping Records.
- [S61] Shipping Records, 1931 via Ancestry.co.uk - Inbound Passengers to UK Class: BT26; Piece:974; Item: 48.
- [S61] Shipping Records, 1932 via Findmypast.co.uk - Outbound Passengers.
- [S2] NZRGO, Lower Hutt, New Zealand, NZ BDM Indexes, Held by Ailsa Corlett, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Folio No 3591, Sept Qtr. Hereinafter cited as NZ BDM Indexes.
- [S3] NZSG, NZ Cemetery Records (Auckland, New Zealand & Online Council Databases: NZSG, 1988), NZSG S01.15 No 4136 MI - Block 190 Plots 14-15. Hereinafter cited as NZ Cemetery Records.