William George Gerrard
William George Gerrard was born on 23 Oct 1878 at 72 Shore, MacDuff, Banffshire, Scotland ,
Parents: George Gerrard, Slater Journeyman & Margaret McKay
Married: 1876 July 22 Banff
George Gerrard, father was present at his birth.1,2
He was the son of George Gerrard and Maggie McKay.
William appeared on the 1881 Scottish Census of 3 Apr 1881 in the household of George Gerrard at 16 Clergy Street, Gamrie, Banffshire, Scotland ;
GERRARD, George, Head, M, 28, M, Slater, born Macduff, Banff
GERRARD, Margaret, Wife, M, 28, F, Slaters Wife, Macduff, Banff
GERRARD, Margaret Ann, Daur, 4, F, Macduff, Banff
GERRARD, William Geo, Son, 2, M, Macduff, Banff
GERRARD, James Addison, Son, 2mths, M, Macduff, Banff.3
William appeared on the 1891 Scottish Census of 5 Apr 1891 in the household of George Gerrard at 39 Maiden Street, Peterhead, Aberdeenshire, Scotland ;
GERRARD George, Head, Mar, 37, Slater, employed, Macduff, Banff, 2 rooms with windows
GERRARD Maggie, Wife, Mar, 36, Macduff, Banff
GERRARD Maggie Ann, Dau, Unm, 14, Scholar, Macduff, Banff
GERRARD William G, Son, 12, Scholar, Macduff, Banff
GERRARD Kenneth, Son, 8, Scholar, Macduff, Banff
GERRARD Edith, dau, 3, Peterhead Aberdeen
GERRARD Hannah W, Dau, 1mth, Peterhead Aberdeen.4
William witnessed the marriage of John Whyte Innes and Margaret Ann Gerrard on 4 Feb 1899 Rosehearty, Aberdeenshire, Scotland .1,5
William appeared on the 1901 Scottish Census of 31 Mar 1901 in the household of George Gerrard at 40 Back Street, Rosehearty, Aberdeenshire, Scotland ;
GERRARD George, Head, Mar, 48, Slater, Employer, Macduff Banff, 3 rooms with windows
GERRARD Margaret, Wife, Mar, 47, Macduff, Banff
GERRARD William G, Son, S, 23, Slater (journeyman) Worker, Macduff, Banff
GERRARD Kenneith, Son, S, 19, Slater (apprentice) Worker, Macduff, Banff
GERRARD Edith, Dau, 14, Scholar, Peterhead, Aberdeen
GERRARD Hannah W, Dau, 11, Scholar, Peterhead Aberdeen
GERRARD Caroline, Dau, 8, Scholar, Rosehearty, Aberdeen.6
William George Gerrard immigrated c 1906 from Scotland to Canada, Canada.
William George Gerrard married Anne Duthie Ritchie, daughter of John Ritchie and Janet Duthie, on 18 Jul 1913 at Erskine Presbyterian Manse, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada,
GERRARD - RITCHIE
At the manse of Erskine Presbyterian on Friday afternoon the marriage of Mr Geo. W. Gerrard, Pea Vine Valley, and Miss Annie Jessie Ritchie was solemnized by the Rev J A Duclos. The bride was daintily frocked in mauve shot silk and wore a white plumed picture hat, she carried a spray of orange blossoms. The bridesmaid, Miss Jessie Thompson, wore pale blue silk, and a black picture hat.
The bridegroom's gift to the bride was a pearl pendant, to the bridesmaid a bangle and to the best man, who was Mr John Ellis, an old fashioned stick pin.
After the ceremony at the church the bridal party drove to the home of Mr Jack Lorrimer, where about fifty friends had gathered to shower good wishes on the bride and bridegroom. The bride's health was proposed in a happy pleasing speech by the host, Mr Lorrimer, and responded to by the happy bridegroom, all toasting heartily. Mr and Mrs Gerrard leave shortly for their now home in Pea Vine Valley, first taking a trip to the Landing and other points in the north country.7
William appeared on the 1916 Canadian Census of 1916 at Edmonton East, Alberta, Canada, also listed in the household was Annie ;
GERRARD William, Military Service No "C" 194th; Head, M, M, 35, Scotland Presyberterian, Immigrated 1906, Farmer
GERRARD Annie, Wife, F, M, 28, Scotland, Pres, Immigrated 1913,
GERRARD Beatrice, Daughter, F, S, 2, Alberta.8
William began Military Service on 6 Mar 1916 Edmonton, Alberta, Canada,
William George GERRARD
7511 - 100 St Edmonton
Born Aberdeenshire Scotland
NOK: Annie Duthie Gerrard, Wife
DOB: Oct 22 1881 (sic)
Age: 34 yrs
Height: 5ft 7ins
Hair: Light Brown
William appeared on the 1940 Canadian Census of 1940 at 99A Street - 9606, Edmonton East, Alberta, Canada, also listed in the household was Annie ;
GERRARD Mrs William
William died on 8 Feb 1940 at Edmonton, Alberta, at age 61 years, 3 months and 16 days
William George GERRARD
On February 8th, aged 60 years, William George Gerrard of 9606 99A St, passed away in a local hospital. He is survived by his loving wife and one daughter, Mrs R H Patzig of Edmonton; three sisters and one brother, Mrs G Third, Mrs G Gordon, Mrs N Davidson and Kenneth, all in Scotland. Funeral arrangements will be announced later. Foster and McGarvey, Ltd, funeral directors.11
William was buried on 13 Feb 1940 at Edmonton Cemetery, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.12
Family: William George Gerrard and Anne Duthie Ritchie
|Father||George Gerrard (c 1853 - 9 Feb 1922)|
|Mother||Maggie McKay (c 1853 - 26 Apr 1919)|
- [S1] Certificate held on file, Held by Ailsa Corlett, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia. Hereinafter cited as Certificate held on file.
- [S11] Scottish Record Office BDM Indexes, online www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk, Banff Banff, 147/00 0260. Hereinafter cited as Scottish Record Office BDM Indexes.
- [S15] 1881 Scottish Census (www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk: New Register House Edinburgh, 3 April 1881), 1881 FHL Film 0203437, GRO Ref Vol 147 Enum Dist 12, page 5. Hereinafter cited as 1881 Scottish Census.
- [S16] 1891 Scottish Census (www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk: New Register House Edinburgh, 5 April 1891), 1891 Peterhead Aberdeen, 232/01 012/000 008. Hereinafter cited as 1891 Scottish Census.
- [S11] Scottish Record Office BDM Indexes, online www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk, Pitsligo Aberdeen, 233/00 0003.
- [S63] 1901 Scottish Census (www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk: New Register House Edinburgh, 31 March 1901), 1901 Pitsligo Aberdeen, 233/00 002/000 011. Hereinafter cited as 1901 Scottish Census.
- [S10] Newspaper, Various Papers, 1913 The Edmonton Bulletin, July 21, 1913 (Morning Edition), page 3 Item Aroo304 from http://peel.library.ualberta.ca/newspapers/. Hereinafter cited as Newspaper Article.
- [S134] Statistics of Canada Fonds, 1916 Canadian Census (Library and Archives Canada, Ottawa: www.ancestry.ca, 1916), Record Group 31-C-1. LAC microfilm T-21925 to T-21956, 1916 Alberta Edmonton East, 09A; Roll T-21949 Page 9 Family No 92 - Via Ancestry.ca. Hereinafter cited as 1916 Canadian Census.
- [S99] "Military Record"; www.ancestry.com; 1916 Canada - Attestation Paper - 194th OSeas higland Bn CEF No 904490
via Ancestry.co.ca. Hereinafter cited as "Military Record."
- [S209] Statistics of Canada Fonds, 1940 Canadian Census (Library and Archives Canada, Ottawa: www.ancestry.ca, 1940), Canada Voters Lists, 1935 - 1980 R1003-6-3E (RG113-B), 1940 Canada Alberta Edmonton East. Hereinafter cited as 1940 Canadian Census.
- [S10] Newspaper Article, Edmonton Journal February 9, 1940 pg 18.
- [S43] Cemetery Records , 1940 Edmonton Cemeteries database online: Section 0O Block 0073 Plot 0011. Hereinafter cited as Cemetery Records.