Parents: Robert McDonald, Farmer & Elizabeth McDonald MS Grigor
Robert McDonald, Father was present at the birth.1,2,3
He was the son of Robert McDonald and Elizabeth Grigor.
Alexander appeared on the 1861 Scottish Census of 7 Apr 1861 in the household of Robert McDonald at Bogs of Linkwood, St Andrews-Lhanbryde, Moray, Scotland ;
MacDONALD Robert, Head, Mar, 60, Farmer of 100 acres, employing 3 Men & 2 Boys, Aberlour Banff
MacDONALD Elizabeth, Wife, Mar, 41, Dallas Moray
GRIGOR William, Brother in Law, Unm, 29, Shepherd, Dallas Moray
SMITH Thomas Hitchins, Boarder, Unm, 23, Assistant Civil Engineer, England
ROSS William, Servant, Unm, 21, Ploughman, Urquhart Moray
MAVER James, Servant, Unm, 16, Ploughman, Boharm Banff
LAURENCE John, Servant, Unm, 14, Herd boy, Polliswood Moray
YOUNG John, Servant, Unm, 12, Herd boy, Montrose Forfar
GRANT Isabella, Servant, Unm, 23, Dairy maid, Aberlour Banff
McLEOD Christina, Servant, Unm, 28, Cook, Inverness Inverness
MacDONALD Ellen, Dau, Unm, 10, Scholar, St Andrews Lhanbryde Moray
MacDONALD Elizabeth, Dau, Unm, 6, Scholar, St Andrews Lhanbryde Moray
MacDONALD Margaret, Dau, 4, St Andrews Lhanbryde, Moray
MacDONALD Isabella, Dau, 4, St Andrews Lhanbryde Moray
MacDONALD Alexander, Son, 2, St Andrews Lhanbryde Moray.4
Alexander appeared on the 1871 Scottish Census of 2 Apr 1871 in the household of Betsy McDonald at 34 South Guildry Street, Elgin, Moray, Scotland ;
McDONALD Betsy, Head, Widow, 47, Retired Farmer, Dallas Elginshire, 5 rooms with windows and 2 children at school
McDONALD Hellen, Dau, Unm, 20, Dressmaker, St Andrews Lhanbryde
McDONALD Betsy, Dau, Unm 16, General Servant, St Andrews Lhanbryde
McDONALD Isabella, Dau, Unm 14, At School, St Andrews Lhanbryde
McDONALD Margaret, Dau, Unm 14, At School, St Andrews Lhanbryde
McDONALD Alexander, Dau (sic), Unm 12, At School, St Andrews Lhanbryde
McDONALD Mary Ann, Dau, Unm 8, At School, St Andrews Lhanbryde
CHISHOLM Betsy, Grand Child, 5 months, Elgin, Elgin.5
Alexander immigrated on 25 Mar 1876 from Glasgow Scotland via "City of Dunedin" to Canterbury, New Zealand , with Betsy McDonald
"City of Dunedin"
Ship 1085 Tons, sailed Glasgow 25th March 1876 and arrived Lyttelton 1st July 1876
This fine vessel, prior to the amalgamation with the Shaw Savill Co, was owned by the Albion Co. She was a typical emigrant ship of 1085 tons register, and was built specifically to carry passengers from the Clyde to Dunedin. The accomodation was in the 'tween decks, the space being divided into three by bulkheads, single women being in the after compartment, married amidships, and single men in the forward compartment. The City of Dunedin completed ten voyages to Port Chalmers, direct from Scotland.
White Wings - Sir Henry Brett
This voyage had No Sickness on board and took only 97 days, and on board were 276 souls, equal to 237 adults.
McDonald Mrs Betsy, 43, Lanark, Housekeeper
McDonald Betsy, 22, Domestic Servant
McDonald Bella, 20, Domestic Servant
McDonald Margaret,20 Domestic Servant
McDonald Mary A, 14
Total cost to the Government for passage £80 (£16 each)
McDonald Alexander, 18, Lanark, Brassmoulder
Cost of £16
Families & Children: - to Rangiora
Brown John, 26, Lanark, Joiner
Brown Helen, 25
Brown Isabella, 2
Brown Maggie, 2 months
Total cost to the Government for passenge £41.6,7,8,9
Alexander McDonald recorded Betsy McDonald's death on 31 Dec 1893 Ashburton, Canterbury, New Zealand ,
Betsey McDonald, aged 74
Parents: ---- Gregor, unknown, ----- Gregor MS unknown.
Born Dallas Elginshire Scotland and in NZ 17yrs
Married Elginshire, Scotland aged 32 to Robert McDonald
1 Male and 5 Females
Alexander McDonald, son of the deceased, Ashburton was the informant.1,10
Alexander died on 13 Jun 1942 at Public Hospital, Ashburton, Canterbury, New Zealand , at age 84 years and 19 days
Alexander McDonald, Retired Contractor, aged 84
From 94 Chalmers Avenue, Ashburton
Parents: Robert McDonald, Farmer & Betsy McDonald MS Grigor
Born in Elgin Scotland, and in NZ 65yrs
Not married and no living issue.1,11
Alexander's cause of death on 13 Jun 1942 was from Broncho pneumonia - 2 days
Chronic Myocardial degeneration - years.
Alexander was buried on 16 Jun 1942 at Ashburton Cemetery, Ashburton, Canterbury, New Zealand ,
Alexander McDonald, aged 84.12
|Father*||Robert McDonald (c 1801 - 20 Jan 1863)|
|Mother*||Elizabeth Grigor (26 Nov 1819 - 31 Dec 1893)|
- [S1] Certificate held on file, Held by Ailsa Corlett, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia. Hereinafter cited as Certificate held on file.
- [S11] Scottish Record Office BDM Indexes, online www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk, 1858 St Andrews Lhanbryde, Moray 142/00 0029. Hereinafter cited as Scottish Record Office BDM Indexes.
- [S22] Birth and Marriage Entries, International Genealogical Index (IGI) (Woolloongabba, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia: Genealogical Society of Qld, 1988 Version), C111421/0150.
- [S79] 1861 Scottish Census (www.scotlandspeople.co.uk: New Register House Edinburgh, 7 April 1861), 1861 St Andrew-Lhanbryde, Moray 142/00 003/00 002. Hereinafter cited as 1861 Scottish Census.
- [S76] 1871 Scottish Census (www.scotlandspeople.co.uk: New Register House Edinburgh, 2 April 1871), 1871 Elgin Moray, 135/00 011/00 019. Hereinafter cited as 1871 Scottish Census.
- [S50] Records Housed at National Archives NZ, Archives, Wellington, Wellington, New Zealand "New Zealand, Archives New Zealand, Passenger Lists, 1839-1973," index and images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FSTK-1NY : accessed 11 March 2015), Betsy Mcdonald, 01 Jul 1876; citing City of Dunedin, Ship, Arrival Port Canterbury, National Archives, Wellington; FHL microfilm 004412234.; Housed at National Archives New Zealand. Hereinafter cited as National Archives Records.
- [S10] Newspaper, Various Papers, Christchurch "Star" Saturday 1st July 1876 page 2 and Monday 3rd July 1876, page 2. Hereinafter cited as Newspaper Article.
- [S10] Newspaper Article, Details as per "Wairarapa Daily Times" of Mary Ann Pauling Obituary - 17 April 1939, held on file (information on ship name is incorrect).
- [S61] Passenger Lists, Shipping Records ), http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~ourstuff/…. Hereinafter cited as Shipping Records.
- [S2] NZRGO, Lower Hutt, New Zealand, NZ BDM Indexes, Held by Ailsa Corlett, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Folio No 355, March Qtr 1894
1894 NZ Online Database: 1894/1907 - aged 74. Hereinafter cited as NZ BDM Indexes.
- [S2] NZRGO, Lower Hutt, New Zealand, NZ BDM Indexes: 1942 NZ Online Database: 1942/21802 - aged 84yrs.
- [S3] NZSG, NZ Cemetery Records (Auckland, New Zealand & Online Council Databases: NZSG, 1988), Ashburton District Council Online Database: Area 228 Plot 16. Hereinafter cited as NZ Cemetery Records.