He was the son of Angus McDonald and Helen Thomson.
George McDonald was baptised on 14 Feb 1808 in Aberlour, Banffshire, Scotland ,
Aberlour 16th Feb 1808
George lawful son to Angus McDonald and Helen Thomson in Moss Side was baptised this day.
Witnesses: George Grant in Drumfurrich and George Carmichael in Blairshannoch.1,2
George McDonald married Mary Ross on 28 Feb 1838 at Boharm, Moray, Scotland ,
Feb 10 1838, Drainie Moray
McDonald and Ross
George McDonald, Merchant, Lossiemouth and Mary Ross, in ----
Feb 28th 1838, Boharm Moray
McDonald & Ross
George McDonald, parish of Drainie and Mary Ross in this parish were married.1,3
George appeared on the 1841 Scottish Census of 6 Jun 1841, at Lossiemouth, Drainie, Moray, Scotland , also listed in the household was Mary, Helen and Mary ;
McDONALD George, 33, Publican, Scotland
McDONALD Mary, 26, Scotland
McDONALD Helen, 2, Moray
McDONALD Mary, 1, Moray
HENDERSON Jess, 19, F S, Scotland
GRANT Isabella, 15, F S, Scotland
STEPHEN George, 55, Mason, Scotland.4
George died on 13 Jun 1846 at Doricot Park, Elgin, Moray, Scotland , at age 38 years and 4 months
No burial register located on Scotlandspeople site as of 11 March 2015. But details found of his death via burial records and his Inventory.5
George was buried in Jun 1846 at Old Aberlour Churchyard, Aberlour, Banffshire, Scotland ,
Stone No 642
to the memory of
Serjeant Angus McDonald
late Farmer in Alowick who died
there, March 16th 1823 aged 80.
And of his son
who died at Dovecot Park, near Elgin (13th June) 1846 aged 37.6
George McDonald's estate was probated on 10 Nov 1846 at Elgin Sheriff Court, Elgin, Moray, Scotland ,
Inventory of the Personal Estate of George McDonald, Farmer at Doricot Park Near Elgin who died Upon the 13 Day of June 1846 with Interest due on principal sums at this date.
Total Sums due by all banks £373 17s 8d
Total of Debts due to the deceased £58 13s 3d
Total of Stocking labouring Utinsils and Househould Furniture valued 23 June 1846 £71 19s 6d
Giving a Total Asset: £504 10s 5d
Full inventory signed by Relict Mary Ross or McDonald and Pat Cameron at Elgin the 10 day of November 1846.
Mary McDonald stated that being Relict and nearest of Kin, that she knew of no settlement or other writing left by the deceased relative to the disposal of his personal estate or effects.
Value of the said Estate situated in Scotland is of the value of £450 and under the value of £600.5
|Father*||Angus McDonald (c 1743 - 16 Mar 1823)|
|Mother*||Helen Thomson (Oct 1766 - 20 Feb 1856)|
Children of George McDonald and Mary Ross
- [S1] Certificate held on file, Held by Ailsa Corlett, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia. Hereinafter cited as Certificate held on file.
- [S32] GROS, Scottish OPR's (www.scotlandspeople.co.uk: pre 1855), 1808 Aberlour, Banff, 145/00 0002. Hereinafter cited as Scottish OPR's.
- [S32] Scottish OPR's (published) 1838 Drainie Moray 130/00 0040 0302 & Boharm Moray 128/0A 0030 0185.
- [S82] 1841 Scottish Census (www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk: New Register House Edinburgh, 6 June 1841), 1841 Drainie Moray ED 5 page 1 Parish No 130. Hereinafter cited as 1841 Scottish Census.
- [S109] Will - Scotland: Inventory - Elgin Shefiff Court, SC26/39/5, Scottish Record Office via the Internet, Scotland. Hereinafter cited as Will - Scotland.
- [S43] Cemetery Records , Aberlour Old Churchyard, Stone No 642 - details via Moray burial Grounds web site.
www.mbgrg.org. Hereinafter cited as Cemetery Records.