Parents: Robert McDonald, Farmer & Betty McDonald MS Grigor
Robert McDonald, Father was present at the birth. - 1st of the twins.1,2,3
She was the daughter of Robert McDonald and Elizabeth Grigor.
Isabella appeared on the 1861 Scottish Census of 7 Apr 1861 in the household of Robert McDonald at Bogs of Linkwood, St Andrews-Lhanbryde, Moray, Scotland ;
MacDONALD Robert, Head, Mar, 60, Farmer of 100 acres, employing 3 Men & 2 Boys, Aberlour Banff
MacDONALD Elizabeth, Wife, Mar, 41, Dallas Moray
GRIGOR William, Brother in Law, Unm, 29, Shepherd, Dallas Moray
SMITH Thomas Hitchins, Boarder, Unm, 23, Assistant Civil Engineer, England
ROSS William, Servant, Unm, 21, Ploughman, Urquhart Moray
MAVER James, Servant, Unm, 16, Ploughman, Boharm Banff
LAURENCE John, Servant, Unm, 14, Herd boy, Polliswood Moray
YOUNG John, Servant, Unm, 12, Herd boy, Montrose Forfar
GRANT Isabella, Servant, Unm, 23, Dairy maid, Aberlour Banff
McLEOD Christina, Servant, Unm, 28, Cook, Inverness Inverness
MacDONALD Ellen, Dau, Unm, 10, Scholar, St Andrews Lhanbryde Moray
MacDONALD Elizabeth, Dau, Unm, 6, Scholar, St Andrews Lhanbryde Moray
MacDONALD Margaret, Dau, 4, St Andrews Lhanbryde, Moray
MacDONALD Isabella, Dau, 4, St Andrews Lhanbryde Moray
MacDONALD Alexander, Son, 2, St Andrews Lhanbryde Moray.4
Isabella appeared on the 1871 Scottish Census of 2 Apr 1871 in the household of Betsy McDonald at 34 South Guildry Street, Elgin, Moray, Scotland ;
McDONALD Betsy, Head, Widow, 47, Retired Farmer, Dallas Elginshire, 5 rooms with windows and 2 children at school
McDONALD Hellen, Dau, Unm, 20, Dressmaker, St Andrews Lhanbryde
McDONALD Betsy, Dau, Unm 16, General Servant, St Andrews Lhanbryde
McDONALD Isabella, Dau, Unm 14, At School, St Andrews Lhanbryde
McDONALD Margaret, Dau, Unm 14, At School, St Andrews Lhanbryde
McDONALD Alexander, Dau (sic), Unm 12, At School, St Andrews Lhanbryde
McDONALD Mary Ann, Dau, Unm 8, At School, St Andrews Lhanbryde
CHISHOLM Betsy, Grand Child, 5 months, Elgin, Elgin.5
Isabella McDonald recorded Betsy Chisholm's death on 31 Jul 1871 7 Stewartsville Street, Partick, Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Scotland ,
at 8.40 PM, aged 9 months
Parents: Alexander Chisholm, Railway Guard & Helen Chisholm MS McDonald
Isabella McDonald, X her mark, Aunt was the informant of her death.
(address of 7 Stewartsville Street, Partick is the address her sister Isabella Brown was born at in 1873 before they left to come to NZ)
There is NO marriage of Helen McDonald to any Alexander Chisholm recorded in Scotland and as Betsy's birth certificates states her Mother was not married at the time of her birth, I feel this was a ploy so as the word illegitimate would not be recorded on her death certificate as it commonly would have been.)1,6
Isabella immigrated on 25 Mar 1876 from Glasgow Scotland via "City of Dunedin" to Canterbury, New Zealand , with Betsy McDonald
"City of Dunedin"
Ship 1085 Tons, sailed Glasgow 25th March 1876 and arrived Lyttelton 1st July 1876
This fine vessel, prior to the amalgamation with the Shaw Savill Co, was owned by the Albion Co. She was a typical emigrant ship of 1085 tons register, and was built specifically to carry passengers from the Clyde to Dunedin. The accomodation was in the 'tween decks, the space being divided into three by bulkheads, single women being in the after compartment, married amidships, and single men in the forward compartment. The City of Dunedin completed ten voyages to Port Chalmers, direct from Scotland.
White Wings - Sir Henry Brett
This voyage had No Sickness on board and took only 97 days, and on board were 276 souls, equal to 237 adults.
McDonald Mrs Betsy, 43, Lanark, Housekeeper
McDonald Betsy, 22, Domestic Servant
McDonald Bella, 20, Domestic Servant
McDonald Margaret,20 Domestic Servant
McDonald Mary A, 14
Total cost to the Government for passage £80 (£16 each)
McDonald Alexander, 18, Lanark, Brassmoulder
Cost of £16
Families & Children: - to Rangiora
Brown John, 26, Lanark, Joiner
Brown Helen, 25
Brown Isabella, 2
Brown Maggie, 2 months
Total cost to the Government for passenge £41.7,8,9,10
Isabella McDonald married George Thomas Smart on 24 Jan 1878 at St Andrew's Presbyterian Church, Christchurch, Canterbury, New Zealand .11,12
As of 24 Jan 1878,her married name was Smart.
Isabella Smart married John Leslie Brown on 10 Sep 1900 at Ashburton, Canterbury, New Zealand .13
As of 10 Sep 1900,her married name was Brown.
Isabella was present on the 1905 Electoral Roll Ashburton, Canterbury, New Zealand , in the household of John Leslie Brown.
BROWN John Leslie, Cameron Street West, builder
BROWN Isabella, Cameron Street West, married.14
Isabella Brown married Alexander Protheroe on 12 Mar 1911 at Ashburton, Canterbury, New Zealand ,
Alexander ROTHEROE is what is recorded on web site, should be PROTHEROE and to Isabella BROWN.15
As of 12 Mar 1911,her married name was Protheroe.
Isabella was listed as a beneficiary in Alexander Protheroe's will on 31 Oct 1930 at Timaru High Court, Timaru, Canterbury, New Zealand ,
PROTHEROE Alexander - Ashburton - Retired Farmer
Will was dated 28th July 1925
Alexander appointed the Public Trustee as Executor of his Will.
He gave £100 or sums of money for the adequate maintenance or benefit of his wife Isabella Protheroe, as long as she remained his widow or until death. She could also use his estate income, and occupy his property for the enjoyment of her life, again as long as she remained his widow.
After the death of Isabella or remarriage, was to divide estate into 7 equal parts - 6 to his children and the 7th to be between 2 grandchildren.
Value of estate under the sum of £1100.16
Isabella died on 8 Oct 1946 at 61 Berry Street, New Brighton, Christchurch, Canterbury, New Zealand , at age 90 years, 1 month and 14 days
Isabella Protheroe, Widow aged 90
Parents: ----- McDonald, Farmer & ----- McDonald MS -----
Born Edinburgh Scotland and in NZ 70 yrs
Married 1st: at Christchurch aged 21 to George Thomas Smart
Married 2nd: at Ashburton aged 32 to John Leslie Brown
Married 3rd: at Ashburton aged 55 to Alexander Protheroe
Male: 52 Females: 66, 61, 58, 56.1,17
Isabella's cause of death on 8 Oct 1946 was from Congestive Heart Failure - 4 hours
Cerebral Thrombosis - 3 weeks.
Isabella was buried on 10 Oct 1946 at Linwood Cemetery, Christchurch, Canterbury, New Zealand ,
Recorded as Sarah Isabella Protheroe, aged 90, Widow, and 70 yrs in NZ
All above is correct apart from the first name of Sarah, which is her daughters name.18
Isabella Protheroe's estate was probated in 1947 at Wellington High Court, Wellington, Wellington, New Zealand ,
Ashburton - Widow
Probated in Wellington 1947.19
|Father*||Robert McDonald (c 1801 - 20 Jan 1863)|
|Mother*||Elizabeth Grigor (26 Nov 1819 - 31 Dec 1893)|
Children of Isabella McDonald and George Thomas Smart
Family: Isabella McDonald and John Leslie Brown
Family: Isabella McDonald and Alexander Protheroe
- [S1] Certificate held on file, Held by Ailsa Corlett, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia. Hereinafter cited as Certificate held on file.
- [S32] GROS, Scottish OPR's (www.scotlandspeople.co.uk: pre 1855), 1856 St Andrew Llanbryd, Moray, 142/00 0024. Hereinafter cited as Scottish OPR's.
- [S22] Birth and Marriage Entries, International Genealogical Index (IGI) (Woolloongabba, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia: Genealogical Society of Qld, 1988 Version), C111421/0066.
- [S79] 1861 Scottish Census (www.scotlandspeople.co.uk: New Register House Edinburgh, 7 April 1861), 1861 St Andrew-Lhanbryde, Moray 142/00 003/00 002. Hereinafter cited as 1861 Scottish Census.
- [S76] 1871 Scottish Census (www.scotlandspeople.co.uk: New Register House Edinburgh, 2 April 1871), 1871 Elgin Moray, 135/00 011/00 019. Hereinafter cited as 1871 Scottish Census.
- [S11] Scottish Record Office BDM Indexes, online www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk, 1871 Partick Lanarkshire, 646/03 0304. Hereinafter cited as Scottish Record Office BDM Indexes.
- [S50] Records Housed at National Archives NZ, Archives, Wellington, Wellington, New Zealand "New Zealand, Archives New Zealand, Passenger Lists, 1839-1973," index and images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FSTK-1NY : accessed 11 March 2015), Betsy Mcdonald, 01 Jul 1876; citing City of Dunedin, Ship, Arrival Port Canterbury, National Archives, Wellington; FHL microfilm 004412234.; Housed at National Archives New Zealand. Hereinafter cited as National Archives Records.
- [S10] Newspaper, Various Papers, Christchurch "Star" Saturday 1st July 1876 page 2 and Monday 3rd July 1876, page 2. Hereinafter cited as Newspaper Article.
- [S10] Newspaper Article, Details as per "Wairarapa Daily Times" of Mary Ann Pauling Obituary - 17 April 1939, held on file (information on ship name is incorrect).
- [S61] Passenger Lists, Shipping Records ), http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~ourstuff/…. Hereinafter cited as Shipping Records.
- [S2] NZRGO, Lower Hutt, New Zealand, NZ BDM Indexes, Held by Ailsa Corlett, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, 1878 NZ Online Database: 1878/522. Hereinafter cited as NZ BDM Indexes.
- [S214] Letter or email from Alan Brown (Brown Family Tree - Ancestry) to Ailsa Corlett, Various letters or emails; Held by Ailsa Corlett (Brisbane, Queensland, Australia) From Alan's Family Tree on Ancestry.
- [S2] NZRGO, Lower Hutt, New Zealand, NZ BDM Indexes: Folio No 3529 - 1900 NZ Online Database: 1900/1998.
- [S6] Elections, Electoral Roll (Auckland, New Zealand: BAB Microfilming, 1853 - 1967), 1905/06 NZ Electoral Roll, Ashburton Canterbury. Hereinafter cited as Electoral Roll.
- [S2] NZRGO, Lower Hutt, New Zealand, NZ BDM Indexes: 1911 NZ Online Database: 1911/1945.
- [S40] Probate NZ, 1930 Timaru High Court, Wellington Archives. Item ID R21847252, Record No TU3303/1930, Housed at National Archives New Zealand.
- [S2] NZRGO, Lower Hutt, New Zealand, NZ BDM Indexes: 1946 NZ Online Database: 1946/ 29222 aged 90yrs.
- [S3] NZSG, NZ Cemetery Records (Auckland, New Zealand & Online Council Databases: NZSG, 1988), Christchurch City Council Online Database: Block 28 Plot 122. Hereinafter cited as NZ Cemetery Records.
- [S40] Probate NZ , 1947 Wellington High Court, Wellington Archives. Item ID R23031524, Record No 0342/47.