He was the son of Angus McDonald and Helen Thomson.
James McDonald married Isabel Shearer on 18 Jul 1822 at Mortlach, Banffshire, Scotland .1
James appeared on the 1841 Scottish Census of 6 Jun 1841, at Mill of Boyndie, Banff, Banffshire, Scotland , also listed in the household was Isabel, Alexander, Mary and Jane ;
McDONALD James, 40, Miller, Yes
McDONALD Isabella, 40, Yes
McDONALD Alexander, 7, Yes
McDONALD Mary, 4, Yes
McDONALD Jean, 6mths, Yes
GRANT Margaret, 15, Female Servant, Yes.2
James appeared on the 1851 Scottish Census of 30 Mar 1851 at Main Street, Newmill, Keith, Banffshire, Scotland , also listed in the household was Isabel and Alexander ;
McDONALD James, Head, Mar, 55, Feuar & Cart Wright, Aberlour Banff
McDONALD Isabel, Wife, Mar, 50, Mortlach Banff
McDONALD Alexander, Son, Unm, 17, Employed at Home, Banff.3
James appeared on the 1861 Scottish Census of 7 Apr 1861 at Mills of Pittyvaich, Mortlach, Banffshire, Scotland , also listed in the household was Isabel, Alexander, Jane and Susanna ;
McDONALD James, Head, Mar, 62, Mealt Millar, Aberlour Banff
McDONALD Isabella, Wife, Mar, 61, Millars Wife, Mortlach
McDONALD Alexander, Son, Unm, 26, Millar, Banff
McDONALD Jane, Dau, Unm, 19, Scholar, Banff
McDONALD Susan, Dau, Unm, 17, Scholar, Banff
STEWART Charles, Servant, Unm, 21, App Millar, Aberlour.4
James died on 21 Feb 1871 at Mill of Pittyvaich, Mortlach, Banffshire, Scotland ,
Miller, Married to Isabella Shearer
at 11.30 AM aged 74yrs
Parents: Angus McDonald, Farmer (formerly Sergeant 42nd Regiment) (dec) & Helen mc Donald, MS Thomson (dec)
Alexander McDonald, Son was the informant.5,6
James's cause of death on 21 Feb 1871 was from Influenza, Bronchitis and Pluro Pneumonia - about a week.
James McDonald's estate was probated on 25 May 1871 at Banff Sheriff Court, Banff, Banffshire, Scotland ,
James McDonald - 25 May 1871
At Banff the following Inventory of the Personal Estate of James McDonald was presented by James Petric Solicitor Dufftown to be registered ve utanted.
James McDonald, Miller, Pittyvaich in the Parish of Mortlach and County of Banff who died there on the 21 day of February 1871.
Cash in the House £15
Bal on account with the Aberdeen Town & country Bank at Dufftown plus interest £41 7s 11d
Book debts due by the following parties amounted to £10 11s 3d
Household Furniture & other effects as of 28th Feb 1871 £95 5s 8d
Total Value of the Estate £162 4s 10d
Inventory was prepared by Alexander McDonald, residing at Mill of Pittyvaich in the Parish of Mortlach and County of Banff - entered upon the management of the Deceased's personal estate as Executor Dative qea one of the next of kin to the said James McDonald.
Alexander stated he had found no Testamentary Settlement or writing relative to the disposal of the deceased's personal estate or effects.7
|Father*||Angus McDonald (c 1743 - 16 Mar 1823)|
|Mother*||Helen Thomson (Oct 1766 - 20 Feb 1856)|
Children of James McDonald and Isabel Shearer
- Helen McDonald+ (c 1824 - 6 Apr 1917)
- John McDonald (11 Mar 1825 - )
- Isabel McDonald (9 May 1827 - )
- Margaret McDonald (20 Jul 1829 - )
- Eliza McDonald (19 Oct 1831 - )
- Alexander McDonald (21 Mar 1834 - )
- Mary McDonald (21 Mar 1837 - )
- Jane McDonald (4 Apr 1839 - c 1839)
- Jane McDonald (3 Dec 1840 - )
- Susanna Macausland McDonald (7 May 1843 - )
- Hindret Milne McDonald (3 Nov 1845 - c 1846)
- [S33] Birth Marriage and Burial Entries, International Genealogical Index & Family Search Web Site (IGI) : Family Search Web site, From 2000), "Scotland, Marriages, 1561-1910," index, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XTLM-V8M : accessed 21 March 2015), James Macdonald and Isabel Shearer, 18 Jul 1822; citing Mortlach,Banff,Scotland, reference ; FHL microfilm 990,989.
- [S82] 1841 Scottish Census (www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk: New Register House Edinburgh, 6 June 1841), 1841 Banff Banffshire, ED 1A Page 2 Parish No 147. Hereinafter cited as 1841 Scottish Census.
- [S28] 1851 Scottish Census (www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk: New Register House Edinburgh, 30 March 1851), 1851 Keith Banffshire, ED 5 Page 7, Parish Number 159. Hereinafter cited as 1851 Scottish Census.
- [S79] 1861 Scottish Census (www.scotlandspeople.co.uk: New Register House Edinburgh, 7 April 1861), 1861 Mortlach Banffshire, ED 3 page 5, Reg No 162. Hereinafter cited as 1861 Scottish Census.
- [S1] Certificate held on file, Held by Ailsa Corlett, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia. Hereinafter cited as Certificate held on file.
- [S11] Scottish Record Office BDM Indexes, online www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk, 1871 Mortlach Banffshire, 162/00 0008. Hereinafter cited as Scottish Record Office BDM Indexes.
- [S109] Will - Scotland: 1871 Banff Sheriff Court, Banff - SC2/40/25, Scottish Record Office via the Internet, Scotland. Hereinafter cited as Will - Scotland.