Parents: Robert McDonald, Farmer & Betty McDonald MS Grigor
Robert McDonald, Father was present at the birth. - 2nd of the twins.1,2,3
She was the daughter of Robert McDonald and Elizabeth Grigor.
Margaret appeared on the 1861 Scottish Census of 7 Apr 1861 in the household of Robert McDonald at Bogs of Linkwood, St Andrews-Lhanbryde, Moray, Scotland ;
MacDONALD Robert, Head, Mar, 60, Farmer of 100 acres, employing 3 Men & 2 Boys, Aberlour Banff
MacDONALD Elizabeth, Wife, Mar, 41, Dallas Moray
GRIGOR William, Brother in Law, Unm, 29, Shepherd, Dallas Moray
SMITH Thomas Hitchins, Boarder, Unm, 23, Assistant Civil Engineer, England
ROSS William, Servant, Unm, 21, Ploughman, Urquhart Moray
MAVER James, Servant, Unm, 16, Ploughman, Boharm Banff
LAURENCE John, Servant, Unm, 14, Herd boy, Polliswood Moray
YOUNG John, Servant, Unm, 12, Herd boy, Montrose Forfar
GRANT Isabella, Servant, Unm, 23, Dairy maid, Aberlour Banff
McLEOD Christina, Servant, Unm, 28, Cook, Inverness Inverness
MacDONALD Ellen, Dau, Unm, 10, Scholar, St Andrews Lhanbryde Moray
MacDONALD Elizabeth, Dau, Unm, 6, Scholar, St Andrews Lhanbryde Moray
MacDONALD Margaret, Dau, 4, St Andrews Lhanbryde, Moray
MacDONALD Isabella, Dau, 4, St Andrews Lhanbryde Moray
MacDONALD Alexander, Son, 2, St Andrews Lhanbryde Moray.4
Margaret appeared on the 1871 Scottish Census of 2 Apr 1871 in the household of Betsy McDonald at 34 South Guildry Street, Elgin, Moray, Scotland ;
McDONALD Betsy, Head, Widow, 47, Retired Farmer, Dallas Elginshire, 5 rooms with windows and 2 children at school
McDONALD Hellen, Dau, Unm, 20, Dressmaker, St Andrews Lhanbryde
McDONALD Betsy, Dau, Unm 16, General Servant, St Andrews Lhanbryde
McDONALD Isabella, Dau, Unm 14, At School, St Andrews Lhanbryde
McDONALD Margaret, Dau, Unm 14, At School, St Andrews Lhanbryde
McDONALD Alexander, Dau (sic), Unm 12, At School, St Andrews Lhanbryde
McDONALD Mary Ann, Dau, Unm 8, At School, St Andrews Lhanbryde
CHISHOLM Betsy, Grand Child, 5 months, Elgin, Elgin.5
Margaret immigrated on 25 Mar 1876 from Glasgow Scotland via "City of Dunedin" to Canterbury, New Zealand , with Betsy McDonald
"City of Dunedin"
Ship 1085 Tons, sailed Glasgow 25th March 1876 and arrived Lyttelton 1st July 1876
This fine vessel, prior to the amalgamation with the Shaw Savill Co, was owned by the Albion Co. She was a typical emigrant ship of 1085 tons register, and was built specifically to carry passengers from the Clyde to Dunedin. The accomodation was in the 'tween decks, the space being divided into three by bulkheads, single women being in the after compartment, married amidships, and single men in the forward compartment. The City of Dunedin completed ten voyages to Port Chalmers, direct from Scotland.
White Wings - Sir Henry Brett
This voyage had No Sickness on board and took only 97 days, and on board were 276 souls, equal to 237 adults.
McDonald Mrs Betsy, 43, Lanark, Housekeeper
McDonald Betsy, 22, Domestic Servant
McDonald Bella, 20, Domestic Servant
McDonald Margaret,20 Domestic Servant
McDonald Mary A, 14
Total cost to the Government for passage £80 (£16 each)
McDonald Alexander, 18, Lanark, Brassmoulder
Cost of £16
Families & Children: - to Rangiora
Brown John, 26, Lanark, Joiner
Brown Helen, 25
Brown Isabella, 2
Brown Maggie, 2 months
Total cost to the Government for passenge £41.6,7,8,9
Margaret McDonald married William Brown on 14 Aug 1886 at Ashburton, Canterbury, New Zealand .10
As of 14 Aug 1886,her married name was Brown.
Margaret died on 14 Nov 1941 at 94 Chalmers Avenue, Ashburton, Canterbury, New Zealand , at age 85 years, 2 months and 21 days
Margaret Brown, Widow, aged 85
From Havelock Street, Ashburton
Parents: Robert McDonald, Farmer & Betsy McDonald, MS Grigor
Born, Elgin, Scotland and in NZ 65 years
Married in Ashburton aged 29 to William Brown
Males: 52, 42 Females: 54, 44.1,11
Margaret's cause of death on 14 Nov 1941 was from Heart Failure resulting from Myocardial degneration. - Not certified.
Coroner considered inquest unnecessary.
Margaret was buried on 16 Nov 1941 at Ashburton Cemetery, Ashburton, Canterbury, New Zealand ,
Beloved Husband of
died March 2nd 1911
So Loved So Mourned
Wife of Above
Died Nov 14th 1941
|Father*||Robert McDonald (c 1801 - 20 Jan 1863)|
|Mother*||Elizabeth Grigor (26 Nov 1819 - 31 Dec 1893)|
Children of Margaret McDonald and William Brown
- [S1] Certificate held on file, Held by Ailsa Corlett, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia. Hereinafter cited as Certificate held on file.
- [S32] GROS, Scottish OPR's (www.scotlandspeople.co.uk: pre 1855), 1856 St Andrew Llanbryd, Moray, 142/00 0025. Hereinafter cited as Scottish OPR's.
- [S22] Birth and Marriage Entries, International Genealogical Index (IGI) (Woolloongabba, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia: Genealogical Society of Qld, 1988 Version), C111421/0067.
- [S79] 1861 Scottish Census (www.scotlandspeople.co.uk: New Register House Edinburgh, 7 April 1861), 1861 St Andrew-Lhanbryde, Moray 142/00 003/00 002. Hereinafter cited as 1861 Scottish Census.
- [S76] 1871 Scottish Census (www.scotlandspeople.co.uk: New Register House Edinburgh, 2 April 1871), 1871 Elgin Moray, 135/00 011/00 019. Hereinafter cited as 1871 Scottish Census.
- [S50] Records Housed at National Archives NZ, Archives, Wellington, Wellington, New Zealand "New Zealand, Archives New Zealand, Passenger Lists, 1839-1973," index and images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FSTK-1NY : accessed 11 March 2015), Betsy Mcdonald, 01 Jul 1876; citing City of Dunedin, Ship, Arrival Port Canterbury, National Archives, Wellington; FHL microfilm 004412234.; Housed at National Archives New Zealand. Hereinafter cited as National Archives Records.
- [S10] Newspaper, Various Papers, Christchurch "Star" Saturday 1st July 1876 page 2 and Monday 3rd July 1876, page 2. Hereinafter cited as Newspaper Article.
- [S10] Newspaper Article, Details as per "Wairarapa Daily Times" of Mary Ann Pauling Obituary - 17 April 1939, held on file (information on ship name is incorrect).
- [S61] Passenger Lists, Shipping Records ), http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~ourstuff/…. Hereinafter cited as Shipping Records.
- [S2] NZRGO, Lower Hutt, New Zealand, NZ BDM Indexes, Held by Ailsa Corlett, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, 1886 NZ Online Database: 1886/ 196. Hereinafter cited as NZ BDM Indexes.
- [S2] NZRGO, Lower Hutt, New Zealand, NZ BDM Indexes: 1941 NZ Online Database: 1941/ 28323 aged 85yrs.
- [S3] NZSG, NZ Cemetery Records (Auckland, New Zealand & Online Council Databases: NZSG, 1988), Ashburton District Council Online Database: Area 148 Plot 37. Hereinafter cited as NZ Cemetery Records.