John Leslie Brown
Parents: William Brown and Margaret Thom
they married 27 Dec 1844, Rothes & Drainie Moray.
(John Leslie Brown and William Brown are brothers.)1
John appeared on the 1871 Scottish Census of 2 Apr 1871 at 2 Russell Street, Partick, Lanarkshire, Scotland ;
BARR John, Head, Mar, 29, Joiner, Cambusland, Lanarkshire
BROWN John, Boarder, 22, Joiner, born Rothes Morayshire.2
John Leslie Brown married Helen McDonald, daughter of Robert McDonald and Elizabeth Grigor, on 27 Dec 1872 at 7 Stewartsville Street, Partick, Lanarkshire, Scotland ,
After banns according to the Forms of the Established Church of Scotland.
John Brown, aged 23, ShipJoiner, Bachelor, Usual Res: 7 Stewartsville Street, Partick
Parents: William Brown, ? Joiner & Margaret Brown MS Heard?
Helen McDonald, aged 22, Domestic Servant, Spinster
Usual Res: 7 Stewartsville Street, Partick
Parents: Robert McDonald, Farmer (dec) & Elizabeth McDonald MS Grigor
Witnesses: John Blain (Sic) and Jane Grigor
Certificate is extremely hard to read.3,4
John Leslie Brown witnessed the birth of Isabella Brown on 15 Feb 1873 7 Stewartsville Street, Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Scotland ,
Parents: John Brown, Ship Joiner and Helen Brown MS McDonald
Married Dec 27th 1872, Partick
John Brown, Father was present at the birth.3,5
John Leslie Brown witnessed the birth of Margaret Thom Brown on 7 Sep 1875 15 Clyde Street, Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Scotland ,
Margaret Thom Brown
At 11.30 pm
Parents: John Brown, House Joiner (journeyman) and Helen Brown MS McDonald, Married 27th Dec 1872 Partick
John Brown, Father was present at the birth.3,6
John immigrated on 25 Mar 1876 from Glasgow Scotland via "City of Dunedin" to Canterbury, New Zealand , with Betsy McDonald
"City of Dunedin"
Ship 1085 Tons, sailed Glasgow 25th March 1876 and arrived Lyttelton 1st July 1876
This fine vessel, prior to the amalgamation with the Shaw Savill Co, was owned by the Albion Co. She was a typical emigrant ship of 1085 tons register, and was built specifically to carry passengers from the Clyde to Dunedin. The accomodation was in the 'tween decks, the space being divided into three by bulkheads, single women being in the after compartment, married amidships, and single men in the forward compartment. The City of Dunedin completed ten voyages to Port Chalmers, direct from Scotland.
White Wings - Sir Henry Brett
This voyage had No Sickness on board and took only 97 days, and on board were 276 souls, equal to 237 adults.
McDonald Mrs Betsy, 43, Lanark, Housekeeper
McDonald Betsy, 22, Domestic Servant
McDonald Bella, 20, Domestic Servant
McDonald Margaret,20 Domestic Servant
McDonald Mary A, 14
Total cost to the Government for passage £80 (£16 each)
McDonald Alexander, 18, Lanark, Brassmoulder
Cost of £16
Families & Children: - to Rangiora
Brown John, 26, Lanark, Joiner
Brown Helen, 25
Brown Isabella, 2
Brown Maggie, 2 months
Total cost to the Government for passenge £41.7,8,9,10
John Leslie Brown was on the 1893 Electoral Roll Ashburton, Canterbury, New Zealand , also listed in the household was Helen
BROWN, Helen, Ashburton, domestic duties, residential
BROWN, John Leslie, Ashburton, builder, residential.11
John Leslie Brown recorded Helen Brown's death on 31 May 1899 Ashburton, Canterbury, New Zealand ,
Helen Brown aged 48 years
Parents: Robert McDonald, Farmer & Betsy McDonald formerly Gregor
Born St Andrew Morayshire, Scotland and been in NZ 23yrs.
Married in Partick, Lanarkshire Scotland when aged 23 years to John Leslie Brown
Bella 24 (Isabella)
Mima 21 (Jemima)
Nellie 18 (Ellen)
Pollie 16 (Mary Ann)
Willie 15 (William)
Annie 13 (Ann)
John 11 (John)
Leslie 10 (Leslie)
3 Males & 5 Females
John Leslie Brown, husband of the deceased, Ashburton was the informant.3,12
John Leslie Brown married Isabella Smart, daughter of Robert McDonald and Elizabeth Grigor, on 10 Sep 1900 at Ashburton, Canterbury, New Zealand .13
John Leslie Brown was on the 1905 Electoral Roll Ashburton, Canterbury, New Zealand , also listed in the household was Isabella
BROWN John Leslie, Cameron Street West, builder
BROWN Isabella, Cameron Street West, married.14
John died on 11 May 1909 at County Hospital, Ashburton, Canterbury, New Zealand , at age 60 years, 3 months and 4 days.15
John's death notice appeared on 11 May 1909 in the "Ashburton Guardian", New Zealand ,
On Tuesday, 11th inst, at the Ashburton County Hospital, John Leslie Brown; aged 60 years.
The Friends of the late, John Leslie Brown are respectfully informed that his Funeral will move from the Ashburton County Hospital on Thursday, 13th inst, at 2.30pm for the Ashburton Cemetery.
Baker Bros, Undertakers
On Tuesday, 11th inst, at the Ashburton County Hospital, John Leslie Brown, the beloved husband of Isabella Brown; aged 60 years.16
John was buried on 13 May 1909 at Ashburton Old Cemetery, Ashburton, Canterbury, New Zealand ,
John Leslie BROWN
died 11 May 1909
Children of John Leslie Brown and Helen McDonald
- Isabella Brown (15 Feb 1873 - )
- Margaret Thom Brown (7 Sep 1875 - )
- Jemima Moody Brown (3 Nov 1877 - 3 Jul 1899)
- Ellen Bennett Brown (1880 - )
- Mary Ann McDonald Brown (1882 - )
- William Alexander Innes Brown (1883 - )
- Ann Brown (1885 - )
- John Albert Brown (28 Jan 1888 - )
- Leslie McDonald Brown (12 Nov 1888 - )
Family: John Leslie Brown and Isabella McDonald
- [S214] Letter or email from Alan Brown (Brown Family Tree - Ancestry) to Ailsa Corlett, Various letters or emails; Held by Ailsa Corlett (Brisbane, Queensland, Australia) Date of birth recorded by Alan, otherwise parents details via Familysearch and year via ages at events.
- [S76] 1871 Scottish Census (www.scotlandspeople.co.uk: New Register House Edinburgh, 2 April 1871), 1871 Govan Lanarkshire, Ed8 Page 47, Reg No 646/3. Hereinafter cited as 1871 Scottish Census.
- [S1] Certificate held on file, Held by Ailsa Corlett, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia. Hereinafter cited as Certificate held on file.
- [S11] Scottish Record Office BDM Indexes, online www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk, 1872 Partick, Lanark, GROS 646/03-0253. Hereinafter cited as Scottish Record Office BDM Indexes.
- [S11] Scottish Record Office BDM Indexes, online www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk, 1873 Partick Lanark, 646/03 0205.
- [S11] Scottish Record Office BDM Indexes, online www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk, 1875 Partick Lanark, 646/02 0910.
- [S50] Records Housed at National Archives NZ, Archives, Wellington, Wellington, New Zealand "New Zealand, Archives New Zealand, Passenger Lists, 1839-1973," index and images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FSTK-1NY : accessed 11 March 2015), Betsy Mcdonald, 01 Jul 1876; citing City of Dunedin, Ship, Arrival Port Canterbury, National Archives, Wellington; FHL microfilm 004412234.; Housed at National Archives New Zealand. Hereinafter cited as National Archives Records.
- [S10] Newspaper, Various Papers, Christchurch "Star" Saturday 1st July 1876 page 2 and Monday 3rd July 1876, page 2. Hereinafter cited as Newspaper Article.
- [S10] Newspaper Article, Details as per "Wairarapa Daily Times" of Mary Ann Pauling Obituary - 17 April 1939, held on file (information on ship name is incorrect).
- [S61] Passenger Lists, Shipping Records ), http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~ourstuff/…. Hereinafter cited as Shipping Records.
- [S6] Elections, Electoral Roll (Auckland, New Zealand: BAB Microfilming, 1853 - 1967), 1893 NZ Electoral Rolls, Ashburton Canterbury. Hereinafter cited as Electoral Roll.
- [S2] NZRGO, Lower Hutt, New Zealand, NZ BDM Indexes, Held by Ailsa Corlett, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Folio No 1023, June Qtr. Hereinafter cited as NZ BDM Indexes.
- [S2] NZRGO, Lower Hutt, New Zealand, NZ BDM Indexes: Folio No 3529 - 1900 NZ Online Database: 1900/1998.
- [S6] Electoral Roll, 1905/06 NZ Electoral Roll, Ashburton Canterbury.
- [S2] NZRGO, Lower Hutt, New Zealand, NZ BDM Indexes: Folio No 1223, June Qtr
1909 NZ Online Database: 1909/3460 aged 60yrs.
- [S10] Newspaper Article, Ashubrton Guardian, Vol XXIX, Issue 7792, 11 May 1909, Page 2 & 3; 12 May 1909 page 2.
- [S3] NZSG, NZ Cemetery Records (Auckland, New Zealand & Online Council Databases: NZSG, 1988), Ashburton District Council Online Database: Area 34 Plot 5. NZSG R01.02, No 1064. Hereinafter cited as NZ Cemetery Records.