Harriett Lawson was born in 1853 at Wolvehampton, Staffordshire, England,
Parents most likely are Robert Lawson and Mary Hill.1
Harriett Lawson married Charles Popham on 30 Oct 1873 at Rockhampton, Queensland, Australia,
Mostly likely to be Rockhampton for marriage, as Charles Popham was on Electoral Rolls for 1875 and 76 there.2
As of 30 Oct 1873,her married name was Popham.
Harriett immigrated c 1880 from Queensland Australia to Oamaru, New Zealand , with Charles Popham
It appears that sometime between the death of daughter Harriet in 1879 and birth of Robert in 1880, the family moved to New Zealand and first settled in Oamaru.
Harriett died on 15 Jul 1918 at 18 Brunswick Street, Dunedin, Otago, New Zealand , at age 65 years.3
Harriett's death notice appeared on 16 Jul 1918 in the "Otago Daily Times", New Zealand ,
On July 15, at 18 Brunswick Street, Dunedin South, Harriet Popham, relict of Charles Richard Popham, and mother of Mrs Wilkins (Invercargill), Mesdames Ross and Todd (Christchurch), Martin and Williams (Dunedin); also Lewis, Robert and Charles (sons on active service). Passed peacefully away.
On July 15, at 18 Brunswick Street, Dunedin South, Harriet Popham, relict of Charles Popham, and mother of Mrs Wilkins (Invercargill), Mesdames Ross and Todd (Christchurch), Martin, and Williams (Dunedin), also Lewis, Robert , and Charles (sons on active service); aged 65 years.
Passed peacefully away.4
Harriett was buried on 17 Jul 1918 at Southern Cemetery, Dunedin, Otago, New Zealand ,
POPHAM as headstone.
Buried in same plot is Harriett and Charles Popham, Elsie May Popham and Charles Wilkins.5
along with Elsie May Popham and grandson Charles Wilkins
Harriet Lawson's parents are:
Robert Lawson born Chester-le-Street, Durham 1825 (Christened 25/12/1825) to Robert Lawson and Jane Culley.
Robert died in Ipswich, Q 16 Jan 1884
Mary Hill born 22 May 1831 Hartlebury, Worcestershire to Charles Hill and Jane Hemming.
Mary died on 25 Dec 1908 and is buried in Toowong Cemetery.
Robert and Mary were married on 11 Sep 1848 at Hartlebury.
Robert and Mary along with 8 of their 10 children (2 born in Qld) arrived in Brisbane on "Fiery Star" 20 Nov 1864. Also with them was John Nimmo.
Robert and John brought 4 locomotives which they assembled and thus the Qld Railways began.
John married one of Robert's daughters.
Research on the LAWSON/ POPHAM families have been done by Ken McDonald and Wal and Heather Hardy.
Both have Family Tree Sites on Ancestry for you to contact them for further information, or you can contact me personally for their emails.
McDonald Family Tree
Children of Harriett Lawson and Charles Popham
- Mary Anne Popham (30 Jul 1874 - 16 Dec 1951)
- Lewis Popham (5 Feb 1876 - 29 Jul 1940)
- Harriet Popham (5 Jun 1878 - 3 Jul 1879)
- Robert Popham (8 Aug 1880 - 28 Dec 1937)
- Annie Popham (1883 - 31 Jul 1963)
- Jessie Popham+ (1885 - 11 Jun 1940)
- Frances Maud Popham (1887 - 26 Jun 1957)
- Elsie May Popham (1889 - 4 May 1890)
- Elizabeth Popham (1890 - 5 Jun 1964)
- Charles Richard Popham (1 Nov 1892 - 7 Apr 1945)
- [S78] BDM Indexes online: England Civil Registration online, findmypast.co.uk . Online www.findmypast.com/ www.ancestry.co.uk;, 1853 March Qtr, Woverhampton Staffordshire.
- [S177] State of Queensland, QLD BDM Indexes (Queensland: Macbeth Genealogical Services Pty Ltd, 2000), 1873 / C661 pg 8443. Hereinafter cited as QLD BDM Indexes.
- [S2] NZRGO, Lower Hutt, New Zealand, NZ BDM Indexes, Held by Ailsa Corlett, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, NZ Online Database: 1918/ 6471 aged 65yrs. Hereinafter cited as NZ BDM Indexes.
- [S10] Newspaper, Various Papers, Otago Daily Times, Issue 17368, 16 July 1918 Pg 4 & Issue 17370, 18 July 1918 Pg 4 via PapersPast.. Hereinafter cited as Newspaper Article.
- [S3] NZSG, NZ Cemetery Records (Auckland, New Zealand & Online Council Databases: NZSG, 1988), Dunedin City Council Online Database: Block 18P Plot 19. Hereinafter cited as NZ Cemetery Records.