Sarah McGrath was born on 17 Jul 1878 at Liverpool, Lancashire, England.1
She was the daughter of James McGrath and Margaret Clare.
Sarah McGrath was baptised on 28 Jul 1878 in St Peters Priory, Liverpool, Lancashire, England,
Born: 17 July 1878
Baptised: 28 July 1878
Parents: James & Maggie McGrath (Clare)
Godfather: John Mooney
Godmother: Catharine Welsh.2,3
Sarah appeared on the 1881 English Census of 3 Apr 1881 in the household of James McGrath at 15 Forrest Street, Liverpool, Lancashire, England;
McGRATH James, Head, Mar, 30, Cab Driver, Liverpool, Lancashire
McGRATH Margaret, Wife, Mar, 26, Liverpool, Lancashire
McGRATH Mary A, Daur, Un, 6, Scholar, Liverpool
McGRATH James, Son, 4, Liverpool
McGRATH Sarah, Daur, 2, Liverpool
McGRATH Joseph, Son, 1, Liverpool.4
Sarah appeared on the 1891 English Census of 5 Apr 1891 in the household of John McGrath at 2 Court Forrest Street, Liverpool, Lancashire, England;
McGRATH John, Head, Single, 40, Cart Driver, employed, Liverpool
McGRATH Margaret, Sister, Single, 32, At Home, Liverpool
McGRATH Sarah, Niece, Single 12, Liverpool.5
Sarah McGrath married Charles Hawkins on 3 Feb 1901 at St Peters Chapel, Liverpool, Lancashire, England,
Married in the St Peters Chapel according to the Rites and Ceremonies of the Catholic Church by Certificate by me, John F Carew
Aged 23, Bachelor, Master Carters Runner
Res: 36a St James Street, Liverpool
Father: Charles Hawkins, Carter
Aged 22yrs, Spinster
Res: 32 Pitt Street, Liverpool
Father: James McGrath, Horse Dealer
Both Charles and Sarah signed
Witnesses: Joseph Stokes & Maggie McGrath.2,6
As of 3 Feb 1901,her married name was Hawkins.
Sarah appeared on the 1901 English Census of 31 Mar 1901 in the household of Charles Hawkins at 20 Pitt Street, St Thomas, Liverpool, Lancashire, England;
HAWKINS Charles, Head, Mar, 23, Master Carters Runner, Worker, Liverpool Lancashire
HAWKINS Sarah, Wife, Mar, 22, Liverpool Lancashire.7
Sarah appeared on the 1911 English Census of 2 Apr 1911 in the household of Charles Hawkins at 21 Dickinson Street, Liverpool, Lancashire, England;
HAWKINS Charles, Head, 34, Mar, Foreman Carter, General Carting, Worker, From Home, Liverpool Lancashire
HAWKINS Sarah, Wife, 31, Mar, Married 10 years, 5 Children born and living, Liverpool Lancashire
HAWKINS Margaret, Dau, 9, Single, Liverpool
HAWKINS Lilian, Dau, 7, Single, Liverpool
HAWKINS Doris, Dau, 5, Single, Liverpool
HAWKINS James, Son, 3, Liverpool
HAWKINS Marion, Dau, 3mths, Liverpool.8
Sarah appeared on the 1939 UK Register of 29 Sep 1939 in the household of Charles Hawkins at 34 Parliament Street, Liverpool, Lancashire, England;
HAWKINS Charles, 25 Dec 1877, Mar, Trans and Trailerman, Heavy Worker
HAWKINS Sarah, 17 July 1878, Mar, Unpaid Domestic Duties
HAWKINS Francis, 16 May 1915, Single, Commission Agents Typist Clerk, Unemployed.9
Sarah died in 1951 at Liverpool, Lancashire, England, at age 72 years
Children of Sarah McGrath and Charles Hawkins
- Margaret Alice Hawkins+ (10 Nov 1901 - 22 Apr 1995)
- Mary Lilian Hawkins+ (16 Sep 1903 - 25 Sep 1976)
- Doris Theresa Hawkins+ (18 Oct 1905 - Feb 1989)
- James Francis Hawkins (10 Mar 1908 - 1982)
- Marian Clare Hawkins+ (20 Dec 1910 - Jan 2001)
- Charles Henry Hawkins (1913 - 1913)
- Frances Hawkins (16 May 1915 - 3 Sep 1974)
- Joan Hawkins (1921 - 17 Oct 1929)
|Father||James McGrath (4 May 1850 - )|
|Mother||Margaret Clare (13 Oct 1857 - 1901)|
- [S78] BDM Indexes online: England Civil Registration online, findmypast.co.uk . Online www.findmypast.com/ www.ancestry.co.uk;, 1878 Sept Qtr, Liverpool, Lancashire, Vol 8b Page 125 - Mothers Maiden Name - Clare.
- [S1] Certificate held on file, Held by Ailsa Corlett, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia. Hereinafter cited as Certificate held on file.
- [S54] Old Church Records, Parish Registers, Various Repositories, 1878 St Peters Priory, Liverpool, Lancashire, RC Baptisms, via Ancestry.co.uk. Hereinafter cited as Parish Registers.
- [S80] 1881 English Census (www.ancestry.co.uk: PRO England, 3 April 1881), 1881 Lancashire, Liverpool, St Thomas, District 2, RG 11/3615 page 43. Hereinafter cited as 1881 English Census.
- [S74] 1891 English Census (www.ancestry.co.uk: PRO England, 5 April 1891), 1891 Lancashire, Liverpool, St Thomas, District 2, RG 12/2910 page 23. Hereinafter cited as 1891 English Census.
- [S78] England Civil Registration online BDM Indexes online, 1901 March Qtr, Liverpool Lancashire, Vol 8b Page 156.
- [S65] 1901 English Census (www.ancestry.co.uk: PRO England, 31 March 1901), 1901 St Thomas Liverpool Lancashire, RG 13/3414 Page 23. Hereinafter cited as 1901 English Census.
- [S128] PRO England, 1911 English Census (www.Findmypast.co.uk: National Archives England, 2 April 1911), 1911 Abercromby Liverpool Lancashire, RG14 22203-0033-03. Hereinafter cited as 1911 English Census.
- [S233] TNA England, 1939 UK Register (www.Findmypast.co.uk: National Archives England, 29 Sept 1939), 1939 UK Register - Liverppol CB Lancashire - RG101/4335F/002/21. Hereinafter cited as 1939 UK Register.
- [S78] England Civil Registration online BDM Indexes online, 1951 June Qtr, Liverpool North Lancashire, Vol 10d Page 238 - Aged 72.