Daniel McKay was born in 1839 at Newry, Down, Northern Ireland.
He was the son of Peter McKay and Elizabeth Murtagh.
Harriet met Daniel on the voyage out on the 'Chile'. When she returned to Port Chalmers as a widow, he renewed acquaintance.
Daniel did not have a high regard for learning which did not endear him to his step-daughter Eliza Ann.
Daniel McKay married Harriett Clark, daughter of Joseph Jubber and Harriett Smith, on 30 Dec 1886 at Registrar's Office Port Chalmers, Dunedin, Otago, New Zealand ,
Aged 48, Labourer, Bachelor
Born: Newry Ireland
Usual Res: Port Chalmers
Parents: Peter McKay, Cab Proprietor & Elizabeth McKay MS Murtagh
Aged 51, Widow - 23 May 1883
Born: Coventry England
Usual Res: Port Chalmers
Parents: Joseph Jubber, Pastry Cook & Ann Jubber MS Smith
Witnesses: William McLeod, Fireman, Port Chalmers & Marion Wilson, Port Chalmers
No marriage notice in the papers.1,2
Daniel was present on the 1900 Electoral Roll Port Chalmers, Otago, New Zealand , in the household of Harriett McKay.
McKAY Harriet, Currie Street, Port Chalmers, domestic duties, residential
McKAY Daniel, Currie Street, Port Chalmers, labourer, residential.3
Daniel was present on the 1914 Electoral Roll Port Chalmers, Otago, New Zealand , in the household of Harriett McKay.
McKAY Harriet, Currie Street, Port Chalmers, married
McKAY Daniel, Currie Street, Port Chalmers, labourer.4
Daniel died on 2 Sep 1916 at Benevolent Home, Caversham, Dunedin, Otago, New Zealand , at age 77 years
Aged 77, Labourer
Last address: Currie St, Port Chalmers
Lived 50 years in Otago NZ.1,5
Daniel's cause of death on 2 Sep 1916 was from Carcinoma of Prostrate
Daniel's death notice appeared on 5 Sep 1916 in the "Otago Daily Times", New Zealand ,
On Sept 2 at Dunedin, Daniel McKay (Veteran) late of 15 Currie St, Port Chalmers, aged 77 yrs.
The friends of the late Daniel McKay are respectfully invited to attend his funeral which will pass through Port Chalmers about 3pm This Day (Tuesday) the 5th inst for the Port Chalmers New Cemetery.
Hope & Kinaston, Undertakers, 30 St Andrew St.6
Daniel was buried on 5 Sep 1916 at New Port Chalmers Cemetery, Port Chalmers, Otago, New Zealand ,
No Headstone for the plot
Also buried in the plot with Daniel McKay are:
Chisholm Brenda Tui
Clark Margaret Harriet
Clark Mary Lillian
Fail Eliza Ann
Family: Daniel McKay and Harriett Jubber
|Father||Peter McKay (c 1800 - 23 Feb 1846)|
|Mother||Elizabeth Murtagh (c 1800 - )|
- [S1] Certificate held on file, Held by Ailsa Corlett, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia. Hereinafter cited as Certificate held on file.
- [S2] NZRGO, Lower Hutt, New Zealand, NZ BDM Indexes, Held by Ailsa Corlett, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, 1886 NZ Online Database: 1886/3279 - 1886 Folio No 3315. Hereinafter cited as NZ BDM Indexes.
- [S6] Elections, Electoral Roll (Auckland, New Zealand: BAB Microfilming, 1853 - 1967), 1900 NZ ER Waikouaiti Otago. Hereinafter cited as Electoral Roll.
- [S6] Electoral Roll, 1914 NZ ER Chalmers Otago.
- [S2] NZRGO, Lower Hutt, New Zealand, NZ BDM Indexes: 1916 NZ Online Database: 1916/6671 - Aged 77 - 1916 Folio No 2553, Sept Qtr.
- [S10] Newspaper, Various Papers, Otago Daily Times, Issue 16791, 5 Sept 1916, Pg 4 and under Advertisements for the Funeral Notice. Hereinafter cited as Newspaper Article.
- [S3] NZSG, NZ Cemetery Records (Auckland, New Zealand & Online Council Databases: NZSG, 1988), Dunedin City Council Online Database: New Port Chalmers Cemetery, Upper Oval, Block UO Plot 332, NSG S07.22. Hereinafter cited as NZ Cemetery Records.