John Corlett was born on 6 Jun 1878 at Pleasant Point, Timaru, Canterbury, New Zealand ,
Parents: William Corlett, laborer, 26, Isle of Man & Mary Ann Cowley, 25, Isle of Man: Married 18 May 1872, Isle of Man
M A Corlett, Mother, Pleasant Point was the informant.1,2
He was the son of William Corlett and Mary Anne Cowley.
John attended "Parkvale School", Carterton, Wairarapa, New Zealand , on 20 Apr 1886
Parkvale School Carterton
Admission: 20 April 1886
DOB given as 7yrs 10mths.3
John attended "Parkvale School", Carterton, Wairarapa, New Zealand , in Jul 1887
Parkvale School, Carterton
No 143, former No 119
Admission: July 1887
DOB given as 8yrs 1mth.4
John Corlett was on the 1899 Electoral Roll Masterton, Wairarapa, New Zealand ,
CORLETT John, Parkvale, Farmhand, Res.5
John Corlett married Eliza Louisa Spooner on 7 Feb 1903 at Home of Arthur Edward Spooner, Carterton, Wairarapa, New Zealand .6,7
John Corlett was on the 1906 Directory.
CORLETT John, Overseer, Utiku.8
John began Military Service in 1917 WW1 Reserve Listing, Masterton, Wairarapa, New Zealand ,
CORLETT John, Farmer,Te Whiti, Masterton. (A)
(A) indicated No children, but if a Reservist listed his dependants but did not state which ones were children he was given an A until he returned a full report.
John would have had 6 children at this stage.9
Research Note: in 1918
Te Whiti School 75th Jubilee Book:
The race track which Mr.Corlett had for training horses-from approximately where Mr.S.Henderson's dairy is now to the willow tree which is now in the middle of the Ruamahanga River.
John was well known in the Te Whiti area for his horse training.
The above article was in the Jubilee book.10
John Corlett married Olive Martha Kay, daughter of Samuel Viney Kay and Alice Woodley, on 26 Nov 1919 at Residence of S.V. Kay, High Street, Carterton, Wairarapa, New Zealand ,
Copy of Marriage declaration held:
John Corlett, 39, Farmer, Widower 7.12.1916, Res: Carterton, 34yrs in NZ
Olive Martha Kay, 21, Domestic Duties, Spinster, Res: Carterton, 21yrs in NZ
Marriage to be solemnized at the Residence of S V Kay, High Street, Carterton.11
John Corlett and Olive Martha Kay had a marriage notice on 5 Dec 1919 in the "Wairarapa Daily Times", New Zealand ,
At the residence of the bride's parents, Carterton, on Wednesday last, Miss Olive Martha, eldest daughter of Mr and Mrs S Kay, was married to Mr John Corlett, third son of Mr W Corlett, of Parkvale. The bride, who was given away by her father, was charmingly attired in crepe de chine, trimmed with a silk fringe and tassels, and wore a silk Egyptian veil and orange blossoms. She also carried a bouquet of narcissi, lilies, and maidenhair fern. Miss Dorothy Edlin, cousin of the bridegroom, was chief bridesmaid, and was dressed in a frock of silk, fringed, with black hat lightened with pink. She carried a bouquet of narcissi and maidenhair fern. The chief bridesmaid was supported by the Misses Laura and Malva Kay, sisters of the bride. Mr W J Kay, brother of the bride, was best man, and Mr P Henneker, of Wellington (cousin of the bride) was groomsman.12
John was declared bankrupt on 12 Oct 1921
CORLETT John, Carterton, Farmer, 12 Oct 1921.13
John Corlett was on the 1940 Directory.
CORLETT John, Labourer, 134 Colombo St, Masterton.14
John died on 9 Jun 1945 at 50 Kauripuni Street, Masterton, Wairarapa, New Zealand , at age 67 years and 3 days
John Corlett, no occupation, aged 67. From 134 Colombo Road, Masterton
Parents: William Corlett, Farmer & Mary Ann Cowley
Born: Pleasnt Point Timaru, Life
Married: 1 - Louise Spooner, when aged 24, at Carterton
2 - Olive Martha Kay, when aged 39, Carterton. Olive's age 47
Living Males: 41, 39, 37, 34, 23, 21, 17, 15, 11, 9, 3
Living Females: 31.2,15
John's cause of death on 9 Jun 1945 was from Coronary Embolism 2mths
Coronary Sclerosis 6mths.
John was buried on 11 Jun 1945 at Archer St Cemetery, Masterton, Wairarapa, New Zealand ,
In God's care.16
Children of John Corlett and Eliza Louisa Spooner
Children of John Corlett and Olive Martha Kay
|Father*||William Corlett (1852 - 12 Oct 1936)|
|Mother*||Mary Anne Cowley (1853 - 2 Sep 1923)|
- [S2] NZRGO, Lower Hutt, New Zealand, NZ BDM Indexes, Held by Ailsa Corlett, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Folio No 2732, Sept Qtr. Hereinafter cited as NZ BDM Indexes.
- [S1] Certificate held on file, Held by Ailsa Corlett, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia. Hereinafter cited as Certificate held on file.
- [S44] School Admissions, School Records (Auckland, New Zealand: NZSG), NZSG Register No 119 - Wairarapa Branch. Hereinafter cited as School Records.
- [S44] School Records, NZSG Register No 143 - Wairarapa Branch.
- [S6] Elections, Electoral Roll (Auckland, New Zealand: BAB Microfilming, 1853 - 1967), 1899 Electoral Roll, Wairarapa. Hereinafter cited as Electoral Roll.
- [S2] NZRGO, Lower Hutt, New Zealand, NZ BDM Indexes: Folio No 891.
- [S151] Research from H E Whyte (Strathmore Wellington) to Ailsa Corlett, Corlett Family Booklet; Held by Ailsa Corlett (Brisbane, Queensland, Australia).
- [S12] Directories, NZ PO Directory (Auckland, New Zealand: BAB Microfilming, 1866 - 1955), Wises 1906 NZPO Directory. Hereinafter cited as NZ PO Directory.
- [S17] "NZEF Enlistment Records", War Enlistment Rolls; Held by Ailsa Corlett; Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, 1918 2nd Reserve Listing. Hereinafter cited as "NZEF Enlistment Records."
- [S44] School Records, Extract from the Te Whiti 75th Julbilee Booklet.
- [S2] NZRGO, Lower Hutt, New Zealand, NZ BDM Indexes: Folio No 8658.
- [S10] Newspaper, Various Papers, Wairarapa Daily Times, Vol 45, Issues 13996, 5 Dec 1919, Pge 4 - Personal Items. Hereinafter cited as Newspaper Article.
- [S36] Bankruptcies, Bankruptcy Records New Zealand, Bankruptcies in New Zealand 1881 - 1940. Hereinafter cited as Bankruptcy Records.
- [S12] NZ PO Directory, Wises 1940 NZPO Directory.
- [S2] NZRGO, Lower Hutt, New Zealand, NZ BDM Indexes: Folio No 1715, June Qtr.
- [S43] Cemetery Records , Masterton Cemetery Archives - Archer St, Aged 67, Buried 11 June 1945, Ref 005646
BURIED:504:BLOCK U ROW 2:. Hereinafter cited as Cemetery Records.