John Corlett was born in 1786 at Andreas, Isle of Man.
He was the son of William Corlett.
John Corlett was baptised on 12 Nov 1786 in Andreas, Isle of Man,
Possible parents at this stage:
William Corlett and Mary or Margaret Radcliffe.
C 12 Nov 1786, Andreas.1
John Corlett married Isabella Cowin on 10 Nov 1810 at Lonan, Isle of Man,
Unsure at this stage if this is the correct marriage located. Mostly due to the spelling of Isabella's surname.
Lonan is where Isabella states in the 1851 Census that she is born in.
John Corlet to Isabella Cowin
10 Nov 1810, Lonan.2
John appeared on the 1841 Isle of Man Census of 6 Jun 1841 at Balla Clucas, Andreas, Andreas, Isle of Man, also listed in the household was Isabella, William, Robert, Jane and Catherine ;
CORLETT John, 55, Fisherman, Yes
CORLETT Isabella, 50, Y
CORLETT William, 14, Y
CORLETT Robert, 7, Y
CORLETT Jane, 11, Y
CORLETT Catharine, 9, Y.3
John appeared on the 1851 Isle of Man Census of 30 Mar 1851 at Ballamig, Andreas, Andreas, Isle of Man, also listed in the household was Isabella, Jane, Robert and James ;
CORLETT John, Head, Mar, 65, Occupyer of 4 Acres, Andreas IOM
CORLETT Isabella, Wife, Mar, 61, Lonan (Sic)
CORLETT Jane, Dau, Unm, 22. Andreas
CORLETT Robert, Son, Unm, 17, Blacksmith, Andreas
CORLETT James, Son, Unm, 26, Labourer, Andreas.4
John Corlett was listed as a Respondent in Isabella Corlett's will on 27 Jun 1851 at Ramsey, Isle of Man,
Jane Corlett, Andreas, Spinster
John Corlett her father
James Corlett &
(Children of the deceased)
John Corlett married Elizabeth Brew, daughter of James Brew, on 25 Nov 1851 at Andreas, Isle of Man,
aged 56 (1795), Widowed
Father: Wm Corlett
aged 45 (1806), Single
Father: James Brew.6
John died on 8 Oct 1859 at Andreas, Isle of Man, at age 73 years.
John was buried on 11 Oct 1859 at Andreas, Isle of Man,
No MI located.7,8,9
John's death notice appeared on 15 Oct 1859 in the "Manx Sun", Isle of Man,
On Saturday, October 8, Mr John Corlett, of Ballacamaish, Andreas, aged 70 years.
Also repeated on 19 Oct, via "Mona's Hearald."10
John Corlett's estate was probated on 28 Oct 1859 at Ramsey, Isle of Man,
Claims entered against the Estate of John Corlett deceased 5th Oct 1860 William Corlett - Claim stating £2-6-0
At a Chapter Court held in Ramsey on the 28th day of October 1859 -
John Teare and John Cormode the subscribing Witnesses, stated it was the Will of John Corlett deceased.
Also stated that the said Elizabeth Corlett the Testators Widow was the Executrix in the said Will and that she will execute the same according to Law, by paying al the just debts legacies and funeral expenses of the Testator so far forth. She was bound to return into the Episcopal Registry a full true and perfect Inventory of said Estate and Effects with an accurate account of her acts and proceedings in the premises when thereunto lawfully required.
Pledges from Daniel Craine and John Moore were entered into for her.
Signed at Ramsey 28th October 1859
In the Name of God Amen.
I John Corlett of Ballamegagh in the parish of Andreas being considerably advanced in years but of sound mind memory and understanding do make the following as and for my last Will and Testament hereby revoking all other Will or Wills by me heretofore made -
First I commit my soul to God and my body to decent Christian burial -
2nd I leave and bequeath to my son William Corlett my best Hat best Neck-hand-kerchief, best Coat, Waistcoat, and Trousers, as Legacy -
3rd I leave and bequeath to each of my Children One Shilling each as Legacy -
Lastly - I nominate constitute and appoint Elizabeth Corlett alias Brew my wife Sole and Whole Executrix of this my last Will and Testament and residnary Legatee of all the rest residue and remainder of my property Goods Chattles and Effects moveable and inmoveable of whatever kind nature or denomination -
As Witness my subscription this the First day of Oct in the year of our Lord 1859 -
John Corlett X my mark
Signed and Executed by the Testator in our presence who at his request have become Witnesses hereunto.
Children of John Corlett and Isabella Kervin
- John Corlett (1811 - c 1812)
- Thomas Corlett (1814 - )
- Philip Corlett (1816 - )
- Silas Corlett (1817 - 11 Jan 1893)
- Cath Corlett (1820 - )
- Daniel Corlett (1821 - Jan 1838)
- William James Corlett (1824 - )
- William Corlett+ (1826 - 23 Jul 1899)
- Jane Corlett+ (1829 - )
- Catherine Corlett (1831 - Dec 1843)
- Robert Corlett (1834 - )
- John Corlett (1835 - Apr 1839)
Family: John Corlett and Elizabeth Brew
|Father*||William Corlett (c 1760 - )|
- [S33] Birth Marriage and Burial Entries, International Genealogical Index & Family Search Web Site (IGI) : Family Search Web site, From 2000), Isle of Man, Parish Registers, 1598 -1950 - digital folder 004498311 image no 00075.
- [S33] International Genealogical Index & Family Search Web Site (IGI), Isle of Man, Marriage Registers 1849 -1911 - M03808-1.
- [S169] 1841 Isle of Man Census (www.ancestry.co.uk: PRO England, 6 June 1841), 1841 Isle of Man, Andreas, HO107/ 1463/1, pg 35. Hereinafter cited as 1841 Isle of Man Census.
- [S170] 1851 Isle of Man Census (www.ancestry.co.uk: PRO England, 30 March 1851), 1851 Isle of Man, Andreas , HO 107/ 2524 pg 17. Hereinafter cited as 1851 Isle of Man Census.
- [S83] Registry IOM, IOM Registers, Will indexes via LawsonsBMD web site - 1851, Andreas, Reg E Ref 53 Film 0106451
Viewed and Copied at Logan Central Library 9th Sept 2013. Hereinafter cited as IOM Registers.
- [S33] International Genealogical Index & Family Search Web Site (IGI), "Isle of Man, Marriages, 1849–1911," index, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XTMF-V9X : accessed 23 Aug 2013), John Corlett and Elizabeth Brew, 25 Nov 1851.
Film No 106705.
- [S1] Certificate held on file, Held by Ailsa Corlett, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia. Hereinafter cited as Certificate held on file.
- [S21] Church Registers, Various Repositories , Parish Register Transcripts of Andreas, 1649-1883- Andreas 1849 - 1883 - Baptisms March 1849 - Dec 1883, Marriages May 1849 - Nov 1883, Burials March 1849 - Dec 1883
Film No 106179 Item 2
Viewed at Logan Central Library, 9 July 2013 and copy obtained.. Hereinafter cited as Church Registers.
- [S83] Registry IOM, IOM Registers: LAWSONBMD web site: Burial Andreas 11 Oct 1859.
- [S10] Newspaper, Various Papers, Manx Sun, 15 Oct 1859 Pg 13. Hereinafter cited as Newspaper Article.
- [S83] Registry IOM, IOM Registers: Will indexes via LawsonsBMD web site - 1859, Andreas, Reg E Ref 82 Film 0106460
Copied and Viewed at Logan Central Library, 9 Sept 2013.