Leonard Edward Corlett
Leonard Edward Corlett was born on 30 Apr 1897 at Parkvale, Carterton, Wairarapa, New Zealand ,
Leonard Edward Corlett
Parents: William Edward Corlett, Waggoner, 25, born Isle of Man and Amy Yates, 19, born Masterton
Married: 28 October 1893, Masterton
William Edward Corlett, father, Parkvale Carterton was the informant of the birth.1,2
He was the son of William Edward Corlett and Amy Yates.
Leonard Edward Corlett was also known as Leonard Edwin Corlett.
Leonard was the Best Man at the wedding of Thomas Corlett and Catherine Mary Ann Gertrude Watson on 8 Jan 1913 St Marks Church, Carterton, Wairarapa, New Zealand .1,3
Leonard began Military Service on 30 May 1917 NZEF WW1, New Zealand ,
30 May 1917 - 16 Jan 1919
Leonard Edward Corlett, No 50867, Driver, NZ Field Artillery, Motor-Driver, Mrs Amy Corlett (Mother),9 First St, Lansdowne, Masterton.
Last worked for: R D Morrison, Blairlogie, Masterton
Served 203 days in NZ and 1yr 29 days overseas.
Served in France as a Gunner.
Was discharged due to recurrent fits whilst in France, and suspected Epilspsy.
He was awared the British War Medal and the Victory Medal
Family also say he suffered from Mustard Gas poisioning.4
Leonard was the Best Man at the wedding of Alfred Pauling and Constance Lucy Corlett on 7 Nov 1917 Masterton, Wairarapa, New Zealand .5
Leonard Edwin Corlett married Lily Cain, daughter of James Henry Pauling and Mary Anne McDonald, on 12 Mar 1920 at Residence of Mrs Mary Pauling, 70 Lincoln Road, Masterton, Wairarapa, New Zealand ,
Leonard Edwin Corlett
aged 23, Motorman
Bachelor, born Carterton
Usual Res: Masterton
Parents: William Edward Corlett, Carrier & Amy Yates
aged 23, Domestic Duties
Widow, 30 August 1917, born Ashburton
Usual Res: Masterton
Parents: James Henry Pauling, Blacksmith & Mary Ann McDonald
Witnesses: Ernest Neal Hunt, Teamster, Masterton & Myrtle Eveline Hunt, Domestic Duties, Masterton
Minister - Geo T Brown.1,6
Leonard recorded the birth of Elizabeth Amy May Corlett on 6 Sep 1920 Carterton, Wairarapa, New Zealand ,
Elizabeth Amy Corlett
Parents: Leonard Edwin Corlett, Motor Driver, 23, Carterton & Lily Corlett MS Pauling, 23, Ashburton.
Married: 12 March 1920, Masterton
L E Corlett, Father, Carterton was the informant of the birth.1,7
Leonard Edward Corlett was on the 1966 Electoral Roll Masterton, Wairarapa, New Zealand , also listed in the household was Lily and Lily
CORLETT, Lily, 83 South Road, married
CORLETT, Lily Evelyne, 83 South Road, shop assistant
CORLETT, Leonard Edward, 83 South Road, Foreman.8
Leonard died on 21 Oct 1974 at Masterton Public Hospital, Masterton, Wairarapa, New Zealand , at age 77 years, 5 months and 21 days
Leonard Edwin Corlett, Retired Timber Worker; Ex-Servicman
from 83 South Road, Masterton
Aged 77, born 30 april 1897
Born Carterton, 77 yrs in NZ
Parents: William Corlett, Carrier & Amy Yates
Married: Lily Pauling, Masterton when aged 21. Lily now aged 79
Living children: M: 57, 52, 51, 46 F: 59, 49.1,9
Leonard's cause of death on 21 Oct 1974 was from Congestive cardiac failure - 1 week
Chronic Bronchitis - 3ys.
Leonard's death notice appeared on 23 Oct 1974 in the "Wairarapa Daily Times", New Zealand ,
CORLETT Leonard Edwin, Regt No 50867 Driver 32nd Force WW1
On October 21 1974, at Masterton, dearly loved husband of Lily, 83 South Road, Masterton, loved father of Evelyn (Masterton), Tom (Martinborough), Len, Max and Ednas (Mrs G Elliott) Masterton, Les (Levin) and the late Amy (Mrs K Metherall). In his 79th year. Service at St Matthew's Church, Masterton, Thursday, at 2pm thence to the Masterton Servicemens Lawn Cemetery.10
Leonard was buried on 24 Oct 1974 at Archer Street Cemetery, Masterton, Wairarapa, New Zealand ,
1st NZEF 50867 Dvr L.E.Corlett Army service Corps died 21.10.1974 aged 78 years, (NZ Emblem).11
Children of Leonard Edward Corlett and Lily Pauling
|Father*||William Edward Corlett (1872 - 29 Jul 1926)|
|Mother*||Amy Yates (3 Jul 1878 - 31 May 1918)|
- [S1] Certificate held on file, Held by Ailsa Corlett, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia. Hereinafter cited as Certificate held on file.
- [S2] NZRGO, Lower Hutt, New Zealand, NZ BDM Indexes, Held by Ailsa Corlett, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Folio No 1520, June Qtr. Hereinafter cited as NZ BDM Indexes.
- [S2] NZRGO, Lower Hutt, New Zealand, NZ BDM Indexes: Folio No 1979.
- [S17] "NZEF Enlistment Records", War Enlistment Rolls; Held by Ailsa Corlett; Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, WW1, Vol 3, Roll 75 pg 43
Service Record held on file.. Hereinafter cited as "NZEF Enlistment Records."
- [S2] NZRGO, Lower Hutt, New Zealand, NZ BDM Indexes: Folio No 6063.
- [S2] NZRGO, Lower Hutt, New Zealand, NZ BDM Indexes: 1920 Folio No 1600.
- [S2] NZRGO, Lower Hutt, New Zealand, NZ BDM Indexes: 1920 Folio No 4574, Sept Qtr.
- [S6] Elections, Electoral Roll (Auckland, New Zealand: BAB Microfilming, 1853 - 1967), 1966-67 Electoral Roll, Wairarapa. Hereinafter cited as Electoral Roll.
- [S2] NZRGO, Lower Hutt, New Zealand, NZ BDM Indexes: Folio No 23062, aged 77.
- [S10] Newspaper, Various Papers, Wairarapa Daily Times, either 22 or 23 Oct 1974 - Death Notices. Hereinafter cited as Newspaper Article.
- [S3] NZSG, NZ Cemetery Records (Auckland, New Zealand & Online Council Databases: NZSG, 1988), 4482: Returned Serviceman. Block C Row 13. Hereinafter cited as NZ Cemetery Records.