William Corlett was born in 1826 at Andreas, Isle of Man.
He was the son of John Corlett and Isabella Kervin.
William Corlett was baptised on 6 Aug 1826 in Andreas, Isle of Man,
Parents listed: John Corlett & Isabella Thervin.1
William appeared on the 1841 Isle of Man Census of 6 Jun 1841 in the household of John Corlett at Balla Clucas, Andreas, Andreas, Isle of Man;
CORLETT John, 55, Fisherman, Yes
CORLETT Isabella, 50, Y
CORLETT William, 14, Y
CORLETT Robert, 7, Y
CORLETT Jane, 11, Y
CORLETT Catharine, 9, Y.2
William Corlett married Elinor Cowley, daughter of John Cowley and Catherine Cowley, on 21 Sep 1850 at Jurby, Isle of Man,
21 Sept 1850
Married in the Parish Church of Jurby according to the Rites and Ceremonies of the Church of England
aged 24, Bachelor, labourer,
Father, John Corlett, labourer
aged 19, Spinster,
Father, John Cowley, Labourer
Both signed by using a X mark.
In the Presence of: John Cowley and John Looney.3,4,5
William Corlett was listed as a Respondent in Isabella Corlett's will on 27 Jun 1851 at Ramsey, Isle of Man,
Jane Corlett, Andreas, Spinster
John Corlett her father
James Corlett &
(Children of the deceased)
William was listed as a beneficiary in John Corlett's will on 28 Oct 1859 at Ramsey, Isle of Man,
Claims entered against the Estate of John Corlett deceased 5th Oct 1860 William Corlett - Claim stating £2-6-0.7
William appeared on the 1861 Isle of Man Census of 7 Apr 1861 at Ballagonnel, Andreas, Isle of Man, also listed in the household was Eleanor, William and Thomas ;
CORLETT William, Head, Mar, 35, Sea Captain, Andreas Isle of Man
CORLETT Eleanor, Wife, Mar, 30, Andreas
CORLETT William Son, 8, Andreas
CORLETT Catherine, Niece, 9, Andreas
CORLETT Thomas, Son, 2, Andreas
(have found places of births listed are incorrect).8
William appeared on the 1871 Isle of Man Census of 2 Apr 1871 at Chronk Breck House, Jurby, Isle of Man, also listed in the household was Eleanor, William, Thomas, John, Elizabeth, Mary, Isabella and Silas ;
CORLETT, William Head, Mar, 45, Farmer of 100 acres employing 2 men, Andreas IOM
CORLETT Ellenor, Wife, Mar, 39, Jurby
CORLETT William, Son, Unm, 18, Farmers Son, Jurby
CORLETT Thomas, Son, 12, Scholar, Ramsey
CORLETT John Edward, Son, 8, Scholar, Andreas
CORLETT Elizabeth C, daur, 6, Scholar, Andreas
CORLETT Mary Ann, Daur, 2, Jurby
CORLETT Isabella, Daur, 3mths, Jurby
CALLISTER Philip, Servant, Unm, 17, Farm Servant Indoor, Jurby
CORLETT Catherine, Servant, Unm, 18, Domestic Servant, Andreas
CORLETT Silas, Boarder, Mar, 50, Pensioner Farrier, Andreas.9
William appeared on the 1881 Isle of Man Census of 3 Apr 1881 at Ballagumell, Andreas, Isle of Man, also listed in the household was Eleanor, Mary, Isabella and Christian ;
CORLETT William , Head, Mar, 55, Farmer 5 ½ acrea, Andreas
CORLETT Elleanor, Wife, Mar, 50, Farmers Wife, Jurby
CORLETT Mary A, Daur, 12, Scholar, Andreas
CORLETT Isabella J, Daur, 10, Scholar, Andreas
CORLETT Christian R, Daur, 7, Scholar, Andreas.10
William appeared on the 1891 Isle of Man Census of 5 Apr 1891 at Ballagumell, Andreas, Isle of Man, also listed in the household was Eleanor and Christian ;
CORLETT William, Head, M, 65, Farmer, Andreas
CORLETT Eleanor, Wife, M, 60, Jurby
CORLETT Christian R, Daur, S, 18, Jurby.11
William died on 23 Jul 1899 at Ballamona Hospital, Braddan, Isle of Man, at age 73 years
It appears after reading the probate of William, that he may have been ill in the last years of his life, as it mentions that he died in the Lunatic Asylum in Braddan. This was the Ballamona Hospital which catered for all types of illness.
The death and burial register list William's age as 70, but from records he really was aged 72.
No death notice located at this stage via the iMuesum online newspapers.12
William was buried on 25 Jul 1899 at Andreas Cemetery, Andreas, Isle of Man,
who died July 23rd 1899 aged 73 years.
'Thy will be done'.
Also Elinor wife of the above who died Jan 26th 1912.
Interred at Chadderton Cemetery, Oldham.
William Corlett aged 70yrs
William Corlett's estate was probated on 6 Nov 1899 at Ramsey, Isle of Man,
Probate was requested by Ellen Corlett of Ballagumell Andreas, Widow, John Teare of Ballachurch Jurby, Farmer, and Thomas Craine of Ballaclucus Andreas, Mason.
Regarding William Corlett late of Ballagumell Andreas, but now deceased, who died on or about the 23 day of July 1899.
Amount under £50.
Ellen Corlett her X mark
This is the last Will and Testament of me William Corlett of Ballaghomell in the Parish of Andreas. Hereby revoking all other Wills by me heretofore made.
I leave and bequeath to my wife Ellen Corlett the whole of my Estate of Houses and Lands, to me belonging situate in the Parish of Andreas, meaning and intending hereby the whole of my Estate of Houses, and Lands, by whatever name the same may be known and where soever situated and being my Real Estate and to her Heirs and assigns, Forever Absolutely.
I also leave and bequeath to my wife aforesaid and to her Heirs, and assigns for ever absolutely a certain Meadow or parcel of Land to me belonging and situate in the Parish of Lezayre.
I also nominate constitute and appoint my wife Ellen Corlett, aforesaid, Sole and whole Executrix of this my Last Will and Testament.
In Witness whereof I heredo subscribe my name. This the 20th day of January in the year 1898.
William Corlett X his mark
Signed and Executed by the testator in our presence & in presence of each other
10 Nov 1899 William Corlett was mentioned in the "Ramsey Courier", Isle of Man, newspaper
Northern Probate Sessions:
Ramsey, November 6th 1899
In the probate sessions Ellen Corlett, sought probate of the will of Wm. Corlett who died on the 23rd July 1899. The personal estate was under £50. The will was dated the 20th January 1898, and was witnessed by John Teare and Thos Craine. Mrs Corlett was appointed sole executrix.17
24 Nov 1899 William Corlett was mentioned in the "Ramsey Courier", Isle of Man, newspaper
The Estate of the late William Corlett.
On Friday, December 8th, 1896 (sic), - Sale of Farm Stock, Crop, Implements, and Letting of Lands, Andreas.
Messrs Chrystal Brothers have received instructions from the Executrix of the above deceased, to SELL by AUCTION, on Friday, December 8th, the following STOCK, CROP, IMPLEMENTS, on the premises, Ballawhannell, Andreas, comprising 1 Draught Mare, aged; 1 superior Milch Cow, rising 4 years old, about 2 months donecalving; 1 Heifer partly fed, rising 2 years old; Manx bred Calf, Fat Pig, small quantity of Ryegrass Hay, about half an acre of Swede Turnips, lot Potatoes in bulk; single Plough, Grubber, Roller, new Wheelbarrow. Ladder, good Churn. &c &c, number of barn door Fowls, farmyard Manure.
Also will be Let about 7 acres of Land for such term and purposes, as shall be decided upon at the hour of letting.
Sale to commence at 1.30pm
Ramsey, November 23, 1899.18
Research Note: on 7 Jul 2012
When research was undertaken many years ago on the Ancestors of William Corlett born c 1825 and Married to Eleanor Cowley, his parents were listed as William Corlett and Jane Cowlle.
With the use of new records available for research now, I have discovered that this set of parents and therefore previous generations back, are incorrect.
I have used the Census of 1841, 1851, 1861, 1871, 1881 and 1891 to assist with establishing the now correct parents of William Corlett. Also further records have become available via the familysearch site to assist with this change as well.
Please contact me regarding any of this research if you have queries or want further information provided.
Children of William Corlett and Elinor Cowley
- Mary Ann Corlett (1850 - c 1851)
- William Corlett+ (1852 - 12 Oct 1936)
- John James Corlett (1854 - Dec 1860)
- Thomas Corlett (1 Mar 1857 - Mar 1858)
- Thomas Corlett+ (1859 - 15 Feb 1896)
- Ellen Jane Corlett (1861 - Sep 1870)
- John Edward Corlett (1863 - Apr 1871)
- Elizabeth Katherine Corlett+ (1865 - 28 Aug 1951)
- Daniel Robert Corlett (1867 - Mar 1868)
- Mary Anne Corlett (1869 - 23 Jun 1944)
- Isabella Jane Corlett+ (1871 - 5 Oct 1939)
- Christian Robina Corlett+ (1874 - 19 Feb 1940)
|Father*||John Corlett (1786 - 8 Oct 1859)|
|Mother*||Isabella Kervin (c 1790 - 29 May 1851)|
- [S33] Birth Marriage and Burial Entries, International Genealogical Index & Family Search Web Site (IGI) : Family Search Web site, From 2000), Isle of Man, Parish Registers 1598-1950, digital folder 004505051, image no 00080.
- [S169] 1841 Isle of Man Census (www.ancestry.co.uk: PRO England, 6 June 1841), 1841 Isle of Man, Andreas, HO107/ 1463/1, pg 35. Hereinafter cited as 1841 Isle of Man Census.
- [S1] Certificate held on file, Held by Ailsa Corlett, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia. Hereinafter cited as Certificate held on file.
- [S21] Church Registers, Various Repositories , Parish Register Transcripts of Jurby, 1606-1894- Jurby 1849 - 1883 - Baptisms April 1849 - Dec 1883, Marriaged Jan 1850 - Oct 1882, Burials Jan 1850 - Nov 1883
Film No 106179 Item 1.
Viewed at Logan Central Library, 9 July 2013 and copy obtained.. Hereinafter cited as Church Registers.
- [S33] International Genealogical Index & Family Search Web Site (IGI), Isle of Man Marriages 1849 -1911 - M03806-1.
- [S83] Registry IOM, IOM Registers, Will indexes via LawsonsBMD web site - 1851, Andreas, Reg E Ref 53 Film 0106451
Viewed and Copied at Logan Central Library 9th Sept 2013. Hereinafter cited as IOM Registers.
- [S83] Registry IOM, IOM Registers: Will indexes via LawsonsBMD web site - 1859, Andreas, Reg E Ref 82 Film 0106460
Copied and Viewed at Logan Central Library, 9 Sept 2013.
- [S171] 1861 Isle of Man Census (www.ancestry.co.uk: PRO England, 7 April 1861), 1861 IOM Andreas, District 2 RG 9/4410 pg 11. Hereinafter cited as 1861 Isle of Man Census.
- [S172] 1871 Isle of Man Census (www.ancestry.co.uk: PRO England, 2 Arpril 1871), 1871 IOM Jurby RG10/ 5772 pg 3. Hereinafter cited as 1871 Isle of Man Census.
- [S173] 1881 Isle of Man Census (www.ancestry.co.uk: PRO England, 3 April 1881), 1881 IOM Andreas, RG11/ 5599 pg 12. Hereinafter cited as 1881 Isle of Man Census.
- [S174] 1891 Isle of Man Census (www.ancestry.co.uk: PRO England, 5 April 1891), 1891 IOM Andreas, RG12/4684 Pg 6. Hereinafter cited as 1891 Isle of Man Census.
- [S83] Registry IOM, IOM Registers: ManxBMD.com - 1899 - District Braddan Vol C Page No 161 aged 70.
- [S21] Church Registers: Parish Register Transcripts of Andreas, 1649-1883- Andreas 1849 - 1883 - Baptisms March 1849 - Dec 1883, Marriages May 1849 - Nov 1883, Burials March 1849 - Dec 1883
Film No 106179 Item 2
Viewed at Logan Central Library, 9 July 2013 and copy obtained.
- [S83] Registry IOM, IOM Registers: LAWSONBMD web site: Burial Andreas 25 July 1899.
- [S43] Cemetery Records , Photograph taken 22 July 1992, by Phylllis Watterson.- MI Andreas. Hereinafter cited as Cemetery Records.
- [S83] Registry IOM, IOM Registers: Will indexes via LawsonsBMD web site - 1899, Andreas, Ref197 Film 0106533
Copied and Viewed at Logan Central Library 9 Sept 2013.
- [S10] Newspaper, Various Papers, Ramsey Courier, Friday 10 Nov 1899, Page 6 - from iMusuem IOM. Hereinafter cited as Newspaper Article.
- [S10] Newspaper Article, Ramsey Courier, Friday 24 Nov 1899, Page 8 - from iMusuem IOM.