Elinor Cowley was born on 5 May 1831 at Jurby, Isle of Man.1
She was the daughter of John Cowley and Catherine Cowley.
Elinor Cowley was also known as Eleanor Cowley.
Eleanor appeared on the 1841 Isle of Man Census of 6 Jun 1841 in the household of Mary Cowley at Cronk Breck, Jurby, Isle of Man;
COWLEY Mary, 75, Farmer, Yes
COWLEY John, 40, Yes
COWLEY Eleanor, 10, Yes
COWLEY John, 3, Yes.2
Elinor Cowley married William Corlett, son of John Corlett and Isabella Kervin, on 21 Sep 1850 at Jurby, Isle of Man,
21 Sept 1850
Married in the Parish Church of Jurby according to the Rites and Ceremonies of the Church of England
aged 24, Bachelor, labourer,
Father, John Corlett, labourer
aged 19, Spinster,
Father, John Cowley, Labourer
Both signed by using a X mark.
In the Presence of: John Cowley and John Looney.3,4,5
As of 21 Sep 1850,her married name was Corlett.
Elinor Cowley was also known as Eleanor Corlett.
Eleanor appeared on the 1851 Isle of Man Census of 30 Mar 1851 in the household of Mary Cowley at Cronk Breck, Jurby, Isle of Man;
COWLEY Mary, Head, Widow, 74, Farmer, farming 113 acres, Jurby
COWLEY John, Son, Mar, 49, Farmers son, Jurby
COWLEY Judy, Daur in law, Mar, 60, Lezayre
COWLEY Catherine, Daur, Widow, 46, Jurby
CORLETT Eleanor, Grand dau, Mar, 20, Jurby
COWLEY William, Grand son, U, 15, Jurby
COWLEY John, Grand son, U, 14, Jurby
COWLEY Catherine, Grand dau, U, 12, Scholar, Jurby
COWLEY Thos, Grand son, 9, Scholar, Jurby
COWLEY Dan, Grand son, 5, Jurby.6
Eleanor appeared on the 1861 Isle of Man Census of 7 Apr 1861 in the household of William Corlett at Ballagonnel, Andreas, Isle of Man;
CORLETT William, Head, Mar, 35, Sea Captain, Andreas Isle of Man
CORLETT Eleanor, Wife, Mar, 30, Andreas
CORLETT William Son, 8, Andreas
CORLETT Catherine, Niece, 9, Andreas
CORLETT Thomas, Son, 2, Andreas
(have found places of births listed are incorrect).7
Eleanor appeared on the 1871 Isle of Man Census of 2 Apr 1871 in the household of William Corlett at Chronk Breck House, Jurby, Isle of Man;
CORLETT, William Head, Mar, 45, Farmer of 100 acres employing 2 men, Andreas IOM
CORLETT Ellenor, Wife, Mar, 39, Jurby
CORLETT William, Son, Unm, 18, Farmers Son, Jurby
CORLETT Thomas, Son, 12, Scholar, Ramsey
CORLETT John Edward, Son, 8, Scholar, Andreas
CORLETT Elizabeth C, daur, 6, Scholar, Andreas
CORLETT Mary Ann, Daur, 2, Jurby
CORLETT Isabella, Daur, 3mths, Jurby
CALLISTER Philip, Servant, Unm, 17, Farm Servant Indoor, Jurby
CORLETT Catherine, Servant, Unm, 18, Domestic Servant, Andreas
CORLETT Silas, Boarder, Mar, 50, Pensioner Farrier, Andreas.8
Eleanor appeared on the 1881 Isle of Man Census of 3 Apr 1881 in the household of William Corlett at Ballagumell, Andreas, Isle of Man;
CORLETT William , Head, Mar, 55, Farmer 5 ½ acrea, Andreas
CORLETT Elleanor, Wife, Mar, 50, Farmers Wife, Jurby
CORLETT Mary A, Daur, 12, Scholar, Andreas
CORLETT Isabella J, Daur, 10, Scholar, Andreas
CORLETT Christian R, Daur, 7, Scholar, Andreas.9
Eleanor appeared on the 1891 Isle of Man Census of 5 Apr 1891 in the household of William Corlett at Ballagumell, Andreas, Isle of Man;
CORLETT William, Head, M, 65, Farmer, Andreas
CORLETT Eleanor, Wife, M, 60, Jurby
CORLETT Christian R, Daur, S, 18, Jurby.10
Elinor Corlett was the executor of William Corlett's estate on 6 Nov 1899 at Ramsey, Isle of Man,
Probate was requested by Ellen Corlett of Ballagumell Andreas, Widow, John Teare of Ballachurch Jurby, Farmer, and Thomas Craine of Ballaclucus Andreas, Mason.
Regarding William Corlett late of Ballagumell Andreas, but now deceased, who died on or about the 23 day of July 1899.
Amount under £50.
Ellen Corlett her X mark
Eleanor appeared on the 1901 Isle of Man Census of 31 Mar 1901 in the household of William Joseph Cleator at Clanagh Rd, Lezayre, Isle of Man;
CLEATOR William J, Head, M, 37, Mason, own acc, Lezayre
CLEATOR Isabella J, Wife, M, 30, Jurby
CLEATOR Elleanor I, Daur, 7, School girl, Lezayre
CLEATOR Alice, Daur, 4, school girl, Lezayre
CLEATOR Ruby C, Daur, 1, Lezayre
CORLETT Ellenor, Mother In Law, Widow, 70, Visitor, Jurby.12
Eleanor appeared on the 1911 English Census of 2 Apr 1911 in the household of Arthur Kneale at 34 Brackley Street, Oldham, Lancashire, England;
KNEALE Arthur, Head, 40, married, Gas Stoker, GasWorks Corporation, Worker, born Isle of Man
KNEALE Christian R, Wife, 37, married, 16yrs married, 2 children, 1 living, 1 deceased, born Isle of Man
CORLETT Ellenor, Mother, 80, widow, Isle of Man
KNEALE Vincent C, Son, 6, born Oldham, Lancashire.13
Eleanor died on 26 Jan 1912 at 177 Greenacres Road, Oldham, Lancashire, England, at age 80 years, 8 months and 21 days
No death notice located at this stage via the iMusuem newspapers for the Isle of Man, and Oldham newspapers not yet digitised.14
Eleanor was buried on 28 Jan 1912 at Chadderton Cemetery, Oldham, Lancashire, England,
Consecutive No of Burial: 53903
Position and Number of grave: D6 59
Name: Eleanor Corlett
Residence: 177 Greenacres Rd
Date of Death: 25 Jan 1912
Date of Burial: 31 Jan 1912
Cememony Performed by: Jos Yearsley
Class of Ground: Unconsecrated
Folio in Register of Grave: 65.C
Also buried with Eleanor are her daughter Christian Kneale and her grandson Leonard Arthur Kneale, her two great grandsons both Leonard Kneale, and Arthur Kneale's sister Ann Jane Hartley.15
Eleanor Corlett's estate was probated on 13 May 1912 at Ramsey, Isle of Man,
Request for Probate to be granted was actioned by Petitioner William Craine of Glenauldyn in the parish of Lezayre, Builder and Elizabeth Catherine Craine his wife.
Stated that: Eleanor Corlett late of 177 Greenacres Road Oldham, widow of William Corlett late of Ballagonnell in the parish of Andreas and formerly of 34 Brackley Street in Oldham aforesiad mother of your petitioner Elizabeth Catherine Craine departed this life at 177 Greenacres Road aforesiad on or about the 25th day of January 1912 having first duly made and published her last Will and Testament in writing bearing date the 7th day of August 1909 whereof she appointed your petitioner William Craine executor.
To be heard at a Court in Ramsey on the 13 May 1912.
Probate was granted to William Craine, Builder Lezayre and William Hunter Mills Blair, Engineer and John Robert Fergusson, Accountant both of the town of Ramsey to execute the Will.
This is the last Will and Testament of me Elinor Corlett formerly of Ballagonnell in the Parish of Andreas but now residing at 34 Brackley Street in Oldham, Widow --- which I make publish and declare in form and manner following that is to say:-
I give and devise those lands houses and premises part of Ballagonnell aforesaid to me -- belonging to my daughter Christian Robina Kneale wife of Arthur Kneale of 34 Brackley Street aforesaid to hold to her free from the control debts and engagements of her present or any future husband subject however to the payment of a sum of twenty pounds to my daughter Mary Ann Blair wife of William Blair of Ballure Road in the town of Ramsey. I give and devise that portion of a meadow to me belonging called Clarke's meadow situate in the parish of Lezayre to my daughter Elizabeth Catherine Craine wife of William Craine of Glen-Aldyn in the said parish of Lezayre to hold to her free from the control debts and engagements of her present or any future husband, subject however to the payment of a sum of five pounds to my daughter Isabella Jane Cleator of West Craige in the said parish of Andreas. I direct that the said two sums of twenty pounds and five pounds are to be liens and charges on the lands and premises so charged with the same and are to be paid off without interest at the expiration of one year after my decease.
I give devise and bequeath the residue of my real estate and the whole of my personal estate to my said daughter Christian Robina Kneale absolutely.
I appoint my son-in-law the said William Craine sole executor of this my will hereby revoking all former wills made by me and declaring this to be my last will and testment.
In witness whereof I have hereunto subscribed my name this Seventh day of August, one thousand nine hundred and nine. 1909.
Ellen Corlett X my mark
Signed publish and declared by the testatrix as and for her last will in our presence who at her request in her presence and in presence of each other have hereunto susbcribed our names as Witnesses the date aforesaid.
William Storey & J R Fergusson.16
18 May 1912 Eleanor Corlett was mentioned in the "Isle of Man Examiner", Isle of Man, newspaper
In the District Probate Sessions at Ramsey, on Monday, probate was granted as follows: -
Eleanor Corlett, value £11 in the Isle of Man. Elizabeth C Craine executrix.17
22 May 1912 Eleanor Corlett was mentioned in the "Mona's Herald", Isle of Man, newspaper
HIGH COURT AT RAMSEY
Estate of Eleanor Corlett. - Application for probate. - Wm Craine deposed that Mrs Corlett, his wife's mother, died on the 25th January last, at 177 Greenacres Road, Oldham. She was the widow of Wm. Corlett, formerly of Andreas. There were six children, viz; her husband, who predeceased her; one son, William Corlett, in New Zealand; Thomas Corlett, who was dead, leaving a widow and one child, who were off the Island; Elizabeth Catherine, wife of the witness; Mary Ann, wife of Wm H Blair, of Ramsey; Isabella, wife of Wm Cleator, Andreas; and Christian Rubina, wife of Arthur Kneale, of Oldham. The value of the personal estate in the Isle of Man was under £11. - The will is dated the 7th of August, 1909, and appoints Mrs Craine executrix. - Wm Craine was sworn in right of his wife.18
Children of Elinor Cowley and William Corlett
- Mary Ann Corlett (1850 - c 1851)
- William Corlett+ (1852 - 12 Oct 1936)
- John James Corlett (1854 - Dec 1860)
- Thomas Corlett (1 Mar 1857 - Mar 1858)
- Thomas Corlett+ (1859 - 15 Feb 1896)
- Ellen Jane Corlett (1861 - Sep 1870)
- John Edward Corlett (1863 - Apr 1871)
- Elizabeth Katherine Corlett+ (1865 - 28 Aug 1951)
- Daniel Robert Corlett (1867 - Mar 1868)
- Mary Anne Corlett (1869 - 23 Jun 1944)
- Isabella Jane Corlett+ (1871 - 5 Oct 1939)
- Christian Robina Corlett+ (1874 - 19 Feb 1940)
|Father*||John Cowley (c 1804 - 1 Oct 1847)|
|Mother*||Catherine Cowley (1805 - Dec 1877)|
- [S33] Birth Marriage and Burial Entries, International Genealogical Index & Family Search Web Site (IGI) : Family Search Web site, From 2000), Batch No C03806-1-1 Film No 106725.
- [S169] 1841 Isle of Man Census (www.ancestry.co.uk: PRO England, 6 June 1841), 1841 Isle of Man, Jurby , HO 107/ 1463/9 pg 17. Hereinafter cited as 1841 Isle of Man Census.
- [S1] Certificate held on file, Held by Ailsa Corlett, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia. Hereinafter cited as Certificate held on file.
- [S21] Church Registers, Various Repositories , Parish Register Transcripts of Jurby, 1606-1894- Jurby 1849 - 1883 - Baptisms April 1849 - Dec 1883, Marriaged Jan 1850 - Oct 1882, Burials Jan 1850 - Nov 1883
Film No 106179 Item 1.
Viewed at Logan Central Library, 9 July 2013 and copy obtained.. Hereinafter cited as Church Registers.
- [S33] International Genealogical Index & Family Search Web Site (IGI), Isle of Man Marriages 1849 -1911 - M03806-1.
- [S170] 1851 Isle of Man Census (www.ancestry.co.uk: PRO England, 30 March 1851), 1851 Isle of Man, Jurby , HO107/ 2524 pg 29. Hereinafter cited as 1851 Isle of Man Census.
- [S171] 1861 Isle of Man Census (www.ancestry.co.uk: PRO England, 7 April 1861), 1861 IOM Andreas, District 2 RG 9/4410 pg 11. Hereinafter cited as 1861 Isle of Man Census.
- [S172] 1871 Isle of Man Census (www.ancestry.co.uk: PRO England, 2 Arpril 1871), 1871 IOM Jurby RG10/ 5772 pg 3. Hereinafter cited as 1871 Isle of Man Census.
- [S173] 1881 Isle of Man Census (www.ancestry.co.uk: PRO England, 3 April 1881), 1881 IOM Andreas, RG11/ 5599 pg 12. Hereinafter cited as 1881 Isle of Man Census.
- [S174] 1891 Isle of Man Census (www.ancestry.co.uk: PRO England, 5 April 1891), 1891 IOM Andreas, RG12/4684 Pg 6. Hereinafter cited as 1891 Isle of Man Census.
- [S83] Registry IOM, IOM Registers, Will indexes via LawsonsBMD web site - 1899, Andreas, Ref197 Film 0106533
Copied and Viewed at Logan Central Library 9 Sept 2013. Hereinafter cited as IOM Registers.
- [S175] 1901 Isle of Man Census (www.ancestry.co.uk: PRO England, 31 March 1901), 1901 Lezayre Isle of Man, RG13/ 5300 pg 7. Hereinafter cited as 1901 Isle of Man Census.
- [S128] PRO England, 1911 English Census (www.Findmypast.co.uk: National Archives England, 2 April 1911), 1911 Oldham Lancashire, RG14PN24439 RG78PN1403 RD469 SD1 ED1 SN98. Hereinafter cited as 1911 English Census.
- [S78] BDM Indexes online: England Civil Registration online, findmypast.co.uk . Online www.findmypast.com/ www.ancestry.co.uk;, 1912 Oldham, Greater Manchester, Lancashire - Jan - March Qtr 8d, 875.
- [S33] International Genealogical Index & Family Search Web Site (IGI), England Lancashire, Oldham Cemetery Registers, 1797-2004, Chadderton
Burial Register, 1909-1912, pg 340 & 341 for the images.
- [S83] Registry IOM, IOM Registers: Will indexes via LawsonsBMD web site - 1912 - GB England - Ref 107 Film 0106572
Film viewed and copied 13 Sept 2013 at the Logan Central Library.
- [S10] Newspaper, Various Papers, Isle of Man Examiner, 18 May 1912, Pg 5 - from iMusuem IOM. Hereinafter cited as Newspaper Article.
- [S10] Newspaper Article, Mona's Herald, 22 May 1912, Pg 4 - from iMusuem IOM.