Agnes Bell Haigh
Agnes Bell Haigh was born on 25 Feb 1839 at Halifax, Yorkshire, England.1
She was the daughter of George Haigh and Elizabeth Schorfield.
Agnes appeared on the 1841 English Census of 6 Jun 1841 in the household of George Haigh at Bank Side PB, Southowram, Halifax, Yorkshire, England;
HAIGH George, 30, Ag Lab, Yes
HAIGH Elizabeth, 35, Yes
HAIGH Abraham, 9, Yes
HAIGH George, 6, Yes
HAIGH Agness, 2, Yes.2
Agnes immigrated on 13 Oct 1841 from Gravesend London via " Birman" to Port Nicholson Wellington, New Zealand, with George Haigh
"Birman" arrived Port Nicholson 1st March 1842.
HAIGH, George, 33, Gardener & Agricultural labourer
HAIGH, Abraham, 9
HAIGH, George, 7
HAIGH, Agnes Bell, 2.3
Agnes Bell Haigh married Henry Yates, son of John Yates and Jane //, on 11 Mar 1856 at Wellington, Wellington, New Zealand ,
no marriage notice in papers located.4
As of 11 Mar 1856,her married name was Yates.4
Agnes recorded the birth of Amy Yates on 3 Jul 1878 Woodlands, Upper Plain, Masterton, Wairarapa, New Zealand ,
(no father recorded, Illegitimate on certificate.)
Mother Elizabeth Yates, aged 17, born Wellington NZ.
Informant: Agnes Bell Yates, grandmother, Woodlands.5,6
Agnes died on 7 Nov 1920 at Masterton, Wairarapa, New Zealand , at age 81 years, 8 months and 13 days.7
Agnes's death notice appeared on 8 Nov 1920 in the "Dominion", New Zealand ,
On November 7, 1920 at her residence, 25 Worksop Road, Masterton, Agness Bell, relict of the late Henry Yates, in her 82nd year.
The Friends of the late MRS A B YATES are respectfully invited to attend her Funeral, which will leave the residence, 25 Worksop Road, To-morrow (Tuesday), November 9, at 1pm, for St Matthew's Church, and thence to Masterton Cemetery.
G Hyde. Funeral Director, Masterton.8
Agnes was buried on 9 Nov 1920 at Archer Street Cemetery, Masterton, Wairarapa, New Zealand ,
ILMO Henry Yates died 18 Jan 1872 aged 39 years;
and Elizabeth Yates died 11 Oct 1885 aged 26 years;
and John Yates died 28 March 1880 aged 72 years;
and Jane Yates died 24 Jan 1890 aged 82 years;
and Agnes Bell relict of Henry Yates died 7 Nov 1920 aged 82 years.9
9 Nov 1920 Agnes Bell Yates was mentioned in the "Dominion", New Zealand , newspaper
Social and Personal
The death took place in Masterton on Sunday evening of Mrs A B Yates, a well-known and much-respected resident of the district. The deceased lady, who was born at Halifax, Yorkshire, arrived in Wellington in the ship Burman in 1842, and after living in Wellington for the next 32 years she left for Masterton, where she has lived ever since. She is survived by three sons and three daughters, Messrs, G; H; and E Yates, and Mesdames C Perry, H H Liddle, and E B Hare.10
Children of Agnes Bell Haigh and Henry Yates
- John Yates (21 Jan 1857 - 17 Oct 1924)
- Elizabeth Yates+ (c 1859 - 11 Oct 1885)
- Mary Yates (1861 - 12 Jul 1945)
- George Henry Yates (1863 - 9 Jun 1930)
- Agnes Yates+ (1865 - 18 Sep 1942)
- Annie Jane Yates (1868 - 19 Feb 1936)
- Edward Yates (1870 - 5 Dec 1928)
- Thomas Henry Yates (14 Jan 1872 - 5 Feb 1872)
- Samuel Haigh Yates (14 Jan 1872 - 5 Feb 1872)
|Father*||George Haigh (c 1805 - )|
|Mother*||Elizabeth Schorfield (c 1806 - 9 Feb 1853)|
- [S78] BDM Indexes online: England Civil Registration online, findmypast.co.uk . Online www.findmypast.com/ www.ancestry.co.uk;, 1839, March Qtr, Halifax, Yorkshire - West Riding, West Yorkshire, Vol 22, Pg 259.
- [S26] 1841 English Census (www.ancestry.co.uk: PRO England, 6 June 1841), 1841 Halifax Yorkshire, HO 107/ 1303/10 pg 18 & 19. Hereinafter cited as 1841 English Census.
- [S61] Passenger Lists, Shipping Records ), To New Zealand, Early Wellington by Louis E Ward. Hereinafter cited as Shipping Records.
- [S2] NZRGO, Lower Hutt, New Zealand, NZ BDM Indexes, Held by Ailsa Corlett, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Folio No 56/188. Hereinafter cited as NZ BDM Indexes.
- [S1] Certificate held on file, Held by Ailsa Corlett, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia. Hereinafter cited as Certificate held on file.
- [S2] NZRGO, Lower Hutt, New Zealand, NZ BDM Indexes: Folio No 2344, Sept Qtr.
- [S2] NZRGO, Lower Hutt, New Zealand, NZ BDM Indexes: Folio No 3415, Dec Qtr.
- [S10] Newspaper, Various Papers, Dominion, vol 14, Issue 37, 8 November 1920, Page 1. Hereinafter cited as Newspaper Article.
- [S3] NZSG, NZ Cemetery Records (Auckland, New Zealand & Online Council Databases: NZSG, 1988), BURIED:889:BLOCK P ROW 3: - Area Plan III Row 3 Plot ABY. Hereinafter cited as NZ Cemetery Records.
- [S10] Newspaper Article, Dominion, Vol 14, Issue 38, 9 November 1920, Page 4.