George Haigh was born on 27 Jul 1834 at Halifax, Yorkshire, England.
He was the son of George Haigh and Elizabeth Schorfield.
George Haigh was baptised on 9 Nov 1834 in St John the Baptist, Halifax, Yorkshire, England,
Parents: George & Elizabeth Haigh
George appeared on the 1841 English Census of 6 Jun 1841 in the household of George Haigh at Bank Side PB, Southowram, Halifax, Yorkshire, England;
HAIGH George, 30, Ag Lab, Yes
HAIGH Elizabeth, 35, Yes
HAIGH Abraham, 9, Yes
HAIGH George, 6, Yes
HAIGH Agness, 2, Yes.3
George immigrated on 13 Oct 1841 from Gravesend London via " Birman" to Port Nicholson Wellington, New Zealand, with George Haigh
"Birman" arrived Port Nicholson 1st March 1842.
HAIGH, George, 33, Gardener & Agricultural labourer
HAIGH, Abraham, 9
HAIGH, George, 7
HAIGH, Agnes Bell, 2.4
George died on 30 Aug 1897 at Greytown Hospital, Greytown, Wairarapa, New Zealand , at age 63 years, 1 month and 3 days.5
George's death notice appeared on 30 Aug 1897 in the "Wairarapa Daily Times", New Zealand ,
Local and General
Mr Geo. Haigh, brother of Mr Sam. Haigh of Greytown, also brother of Mrs A B Yates of Masterton, died in Greytown Hospital at one o'clock this morning. He came to Wellington about forty years ago. He went to the Australian goldfields for a time, returned to New Zealand and resided at Dannevirke for ten years. For the past three years the late Mr Haigh has been a great sufferer and unable to do any work to speak of. Two weeks ago he was taken to the Greytown Hospital. From the time he first saw the sufferer Dr Bey did not hold out the slightest hope of recovery. Mrs Yates was present at her brother's death. Deceased was aged sixty-four years. He is to be buried at Greytown at two o'clock to-morrow afternoon.6
George was buried on 1 Sep 1897 at Greytown Cemetery, Greytown, Wairarapa, New Zealand ,
In Loving Memory of George Haigh
born 27 July 1834, died 30 August 1897;
also his nephew William Haigh, born 27 April 1871, died at Coolgardie 8th Jan 1895.
Gone but not forgotten.
HAIGH George aged 63yrs, buried 1 Sept 1897 (BR).7
|Father*||George Haigh (c 1805 - )|
|Mother*||Elizabeth Schorfield (c 1806 - 9 Feb 1853)|
- [S1] Certificate held on file, Held by Ailsa Corlett, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia. Hereinafter cited as Certificate held on file.
- [S21] Church Registers, Various Repositories , West Yorkshire Archive Service; Wakefield, Yorkshire, England; Yorkshire Parish Records; Old Reference Number: D53/1/18; New Reference Number: WDP53/1/2/6.. Hereinafter cited as Church Registers.
- [S26] 1841 English Census (www.ancestry.co.uk: PRO England, 6 June 1841), 1841 Halifax Yorkshire, HO 107/ 1303/10 pg 18 & 19. Hereinafter cited as 1841 English Census.
- [S61] Passenger Lists, Shipping Records ), To New Zealand, Early Wellington by Louis E Ward. Hereinafter cited as Shipping Records.
- [S2] NZRGO, Lower Hutt, New Zealand, NZ BDM Indexes, Held by Ailsa Corlett, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, 1897 NZ Online Database: 1897/ 4198 aged 63yrs. Hereinafter cited as NZ BDM Indexes.
- [S10] Newspaper, Various Papers, Wairarapa Daily Times, Vol XVI, Issue 5724, 30 August 1897, Page 2. Hereinafter cited as Newspaper Article.
- [S3] NZSG, NZ Cemetery Records (Auckland, New Zealand & Online Council Databases: NZSG, 1988), NZSG Greytown G04.03 No 89 - Block 2 Plot 9. Hereinafter cited as NZ Cemetery Records.