Richard Harker was born in 1896 at Whitehaven, Cumberland, England,
Parents: George Harker & Elizabeth Harker MS Cannon
Richard was a twin at birth to sister Sarah Elizabeth.1
Richard Harker married Mona Maude Seymour, daughter of Thomas Edward Cain and Anna Maria Schiavi, in 1969 at Westcoast, New Zealand .2
Richard died on 27 Feb 1982 at Grey Hospital, Greymouth, Westcoast, New Zealand , at age 86 years
Retired Coal Miner (Ex Serviceman)
Res: 39 Wakefield Street, Westport
Aged 89 - DOB 26 Oct 1892
Born: Whitehave, Cumberland England
In NZ 63 years (c1919)
Parents: George Harker, Coal Miner & Elizabeth Harker MS Cannon
1st: At Granity, aged 30 to Helen Robertson - No Widow
2nd: At Westport, aged 75 to Mona Seymour - No Widow
Living Issue: Male aged 55.3,4
Richard's cause of death on 27 Feb 1982 was from Acute left Ventricular Failure
Ischaemic Heart Disease.
Richard was buried on 3 Mar 1982 at Orowaiti Cemetery, Westport, Westcoast, New Zealand ,
HARKER, Richard - 89 yrs - 2 March 1982, 240261 - Sgt Border Regt, M.M. 1914 -18 War
Retired Coal Miner, Born Whitehaven England.5
Richard Harker was born to parents George and Elizabeth Harker MS Cannon. His birth is registered in Whitehaven, Cumberland in 1896 June Qtr, 10b 694.
There was a brother called Richard who was born and died in the Dec Qtr of 1892, and perhaps the date of his birth on his death registeration is that of his brother ??
Richard was in WW1 and served in France, he was awarded the British Military, Victory and Star Medals. His Reg No is 240261
Richard Harker went to Sydney NSW on board the "Beltana" which left London 16 Dec 1919. The ship arrived in Sydney 8 February 1920.
It appears that he then boarded the "Moeraki" which left Sydney 17 Feb 1920 for Wellington and Westport.
Richard married Helen Robertson 31 March 1923, 1923/2472 -
They both appear on the Electoral Rolls for the Westport district from 1925 - 1963.
This is where Richard has changed his age and perhaps date of birth to his younger brother.
His marriage to Helen Robertson, shows that she is a Widow aged 35, and that Richard has recorded his age as 30 whereas he really is 27.
Richard and Helen had a son called Richard Harker as well born in 1927.
He married an Edna May, and both have since passed away. Richard in 2001 and Edna in 2008. Both are buried in the Ruru Lawn Cemetery, Christchurch.
Helen died 20 Sept 1968 and is buried in the Orowaiti Cemetery as well.
Richard then married Mona in 1969, and they are both buried in the Orowaiti Cemetery, except Richard is in the RSA plots.
Further information is available regarding the Harker family, of whom some went to the USA, and a brother also went to Australia.
Please contact me if you require further information as I have a contact that would be interested in talking to you.
Family: Richard Harker and Mona Maude Cain
- [S78] BDM Indexes online: England Civil Registration online, findmypast.co.uk . Online www.findmypast.com/ www.ancestry.co.uk;, 1896 June Qtr, Whitehaven Cumberland, Vol 10b Page 694.
- [S2] NZRGO, Lower Hutt, New Zealand, NZ BDM Indexes, Held by Ailsa Corlett, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, 1969 Folio No 18066, under Seymour and Cain. Hereinafter cited as NZ BDM Indexes.
- [S1] Certificate held on file, Held by Ailsa Corlett, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia. Hereinafter cited as Certificate held on file.
- [S2] NZRGO, Lower Hutt, New Zealand, NZ BDM Indexes: 1982 NZ Online Database: 1982/31934 - DOB - 26 Oct 1892 - Folio No 5726, aged 89.
- [S3] NZSG, NZ Cemetery Records (Auckland, New Zealand & Online Council Databases: NZSG, 1988), P01.10, No 2506, 103
Buller Council Online Database: Plot 103, Block F. Hereinafter cited as NZ Cemetery Records.