Isabella Cowin was born c 1790 at Lonan, Isle of Man,
Possible parents at this stage:
C 20 Dec 1790, Lonan.1
Isabella Kervin was also known as Isabella Cowin.
Isabella Cowin married John Corlett, son of William Corlett, on 10 Nov 1810 at Lonan, Isle of Man,
Unsure at this stage if this is the correct marriage located. Mostly due to the spelling of Isabella's surname.
Lonan is where Isabella states in the 1851 Census that she is born in.
John Corlet to Isabella Cowin
10 Nov 1810, Lonan.2
As of 10 Nov 1810,her married name was Corlett.
Isabella appeared on the 1841 Isle of Man Census of 6 Jun 1841 in the household of John Corlett at Balla Clucas, Andreas, Andreas, Isle of Man;
CORLETT John, 55, Fisherman, Yes
CORLETT Isabella, 50, Y
CORLETT William, 14, Y
CORLETT Robert, 7, Y
CORLETT Jane, 11, Y
CORLETT Catharine, 9, Y.3
Isabella appeared on the 1851 Isle of Man Census of 30 Mar 1851 in the household of John Corlett at Ballamig, Andreas, Andreas, Isle of Man;
CORLETT John, Head, Mar, 65, Occupyer of 4 Acres, Andreas IOM
CORLETT Isabella, Wife, Mar, 61, Lonan (Sic)
CORLETT Jane, Dau, Unm, 22. Andreas
CORLETT Robert, Son, Unm, 17, Blacksmith, Andreas
CORLETT James, Son, Unm, 26, Labourer, Andreas.4
Isabella died on 29 May 1851 at Andreas, Isle of Man.
Isabella was buried on 31 May 1851 at Andreas, Isle of Man,
Abode: Balla Clucas
No MI located.5,6,7
Isabella Corlett's estate was probated on 27 Jun 1851 at Ramsey, Isle of Man,
Jane Corlett, Andreas, Spinster
John Corlett her father
James Corlett &
(Children of the deceased)
Probate was granted to Jane Corlett the Executrix therein named.
Thomas Caley of Ballagaie, Jurby and Jas Corlett of Cronbreck, Jurby, pleaded that the said Jane Corlett would administer the Estate according to law.
signed by Thomas Caley & James Corlett
27th day of June 1851
Jane Corlett stated: That of late to wit on or about the 29th day of May last that Mrs Isabella Corlett the wife of John Corlett of the said Parish departed this life but first & duly made and published her last will and testment and then appointed your petitioner Executrix.
Petitioner in favour of Jane Corlett was granted 23rd instant, I have charged John Corlett and Robert Corlett to appear at the Ecclesiactical Court to be held in Ramsey on Friday this 24th June 1851.
Sumner of Andreas
Declaration by James Corlett:
I James Corlett a legatee named in the foregoing will of Isabella Corlett of KK Andreas dec, do hereby own and acknowledge that I have received from the Executrix of said will the Sum of Six Pounds Sterling the Legacy bequeathed me in and by said Will, and I do hereby forever exonerate acquit and discharge the said Executrix and every person whomsoever of the said Legacy or Sum of the Six Pounds - and do by these presents earned the same. - As witness my subscription the 7th day of June 1852
Signed James Corlett
Acknowlege and signed at the Episiopical Registry Before Me
Declaration by Robert Corlett:
I Robert Corlett a legatee named in the foregoing will of Isabella Corlett of KK Andreas decd do hereby own and acknowledge that I have recieved from Jane Clark formerly Corlett the Exec of the Will the Sum of Ten Pounds Sterling in full payment & satisfaction of the Legacy bequeath me in the said will and I do hereby forever exonerate release acquit & discharge that the Exec of the Est of the dec Isabella Corlett & every person whomsoever of & from any further claim or demand in acct of said legacy of Ten Pounds & every part thereof - & I do by these presents cancel the same.
As Witness my subscription this 22nd day of May 1856
Witness this before me. R Brown
In the name of God Amen This 29 April 1831. (sic 1851)
The Last will and Testament of Isabella Corlett wife of John Corlett of the parish of Andreas who being weak of body but of sound mind judgement and memory do make and ordain my Last Will and Testament in the following manner. -
First Commit my soul to God and my body to Christian burial.
Also I leave and bequeath my Daughter Jane to be sole executor of all my goods, cash, credits and effects of whotever nature and Denomination.
Likewise my right and title of all Lands and premises situate in the said parish of Andreas being formerly the Lands of Thomas Sayle Deceased being part of the Craig and the Corragh to have and to hold unto her the said Daughter Jane, her Heirs and assigns for ever. Providing she pay or cause to be paid unto my son James £6 and to my son Robert £10 and to my Three Sons John, Thomas and Silas two shilling and sixpence each and to any person who claim a right in this my Last Will & Testament.
In Witness where of I have sat down my mark
Isabella Corlett X her mark
Children of Isabella Kervin and John Corlett
- John Corlett (1811 - c 1812)
- Thomas Corlett (1814 - )
- Philip Corlett (1816 - )
- Silas Corlett (1817 - 11 Jan 1893)
- Cath Corlett (1820 - )
- Daniel Corlett (1821 - Jan 1838)
- William James Corlett (1824 - )
- William Corlett+ (1826 - 23 Jul 1899)
- Jane Corlett+ (1829 - )
- Catherine Corlett (1831 - Dec 1843)
- Robert Corlett (1834 - )
- John Corlett (1835 - Apr 1839)
- [S33] Birth Marriage and Burial Entries, International Genealogical Index & Family Search Web Site (IGI) : Family Search Web site, From 2000), Isle of Man, Parish Registers, 1598 -1950 - digital folder 004497382 image no 00076.
- [S33] International Genealogical Index & Family Search Web Site (IGI), Isle of Man, Marriage Registers 1849 -1911 - M03808-1.
- [S169] 1841 Isle of Man Census (www.ancestry.co.uk: PRO England, 6 June 1841), 1841 Isle of Man, Andreas, HO107/ 1463/1, pg 35. Hereinafter cited as 1841 Isle of Man Census.
- [S170] 1851 Isle of Man Census (www.ancestry.co.uk: PRO England, 30 March 1851), 1851 Isle of Man, Andreas , HO 107/ 2524 pg 17. Hereinafter cited as 1851 Isle of Man Census.
- [S1] Certificate held on file, Held by Ailsa Corlett, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia. Hereinafter cited as Certificate held on file.
- [S21] Church Registers, Various Repositories , Parish Register Transcripts of Andreas, 1649-1883- Andreas 1849 - 1883 - Baptisms March 1849 - Dec 1883, Marriages May 1849 - Nov 1883, Burials March 1849 - Dec 1883
Film No 106179 Item 2
Viewed at Logan Central Library, 9 July 2013 and copy obtained.. Hereinafter cited as Church Registers.
- [S83] Registry IOM, IOM Registers, LAWSONBMD web site: Burial Andreas 31 May 1851. Hereinafter cited as IOM Registers.
- [S83] Registry IOM, IOM Registers: Will indexes via LawsonsBMD web site - 1851, Andreas, Reg E Ref 53 Film 0106451
Viewed and Copied at Logan Central Library 9th Sept 2013.