Mary Ann Kneale
Mary Ann Kneale was born in 1861 at Andreas, Isle of Man.
Mary Ann Kneale was baptised on 2 Jun 1861 in Andreas, Isle of Man,
Thomas & Mary Kneale (Teare)
She was the daughter of Thomas Kneale and Mary Teare.
Mary appeared on the 1871 Isle of Man Census of 2 Apr 1871 in the household of William Teare at BallaCallum, Andreas, Isle of Man;
TEARE William Head, Mar, 74, Land Owner Farmer of 49 Acreas employing 2 Labourers, Andreas
TEARE Catherine, Wife, Mar, 70, Andreas
TEARE William, Son, Unm, 47, Farmers Son, Andreas
KNEALE Thomas, Grand Son, 8, Andreas
KNEALE Mary Ann, Grand Dau, 9, Andreas
COWLEY Catherine, Grand Dau, Unm, 16, Andreas
(Is this the daughter of John Cowley & Jane Teare, recorded twice on the Census - or another Granddaughter?)
CORMODE Ann, Servant, Unm, 24, General Servant (domestic) Andreas.4
Mary appeared on the 1881 Isle of Man Census of 3 Apr 1881 at Cronkbane, Bride, Isle of Man;
JOUGHIN Daniel, Head, Mar, 37, Farmer of 45 acres, Bride
JOUGHIN Isabella C, Wife, Mar, 24, Andreas
JOUGHIN Catherin A, Daur, 2, Bride
KNEALE Mary Ann, Servant, Unm, 19, Servant (Domestic), Andreas
CALEY John, Serv, Unm, 25, Farm Servant, Andreas.5
Mary Ann Kneale married Thomas Corlett, son of William Corlett and Elinor Cowley, on 13 Jul 1889 at Andreas, Isle of Man,
13 July 1889
Married in the Parish Church according to the Rites and Ceremonies of hte Established Church, by licence.
Full age, Bachelor, Mairner,
Father William Corlett, Farmer
Mary Ann Kneale,
Full age, Spinster,
Father Thomas Kneale, Farmer
Thomas signed, Mary Ann, her X Mark
In the presence of William Cowley and Isabella Corlett.1,2,6,7
As of 13 Jul 1889,her married name was Corlett.
Mary appeared on the 1891 Isle of Man Census of 5 Apr 1891 in the household of Thomas Corlett at 1 Marsden Street, Ramsey, Isle of Man;
CORLETT Thomas, Head, M, 32, Sea Mairner, employed, Ramsey
CORLETT Mary A, Wife, M, 30, Andreas
CORLETT John T, Son, S, 1, Andreas.8
Mary Ann Corlett immigrated on 3 Sep 1896 from Liverpool via the "Mongolian" to Quebec, Canada, also on board were listed John
CORLETT Mary Ann, 35, wife, England, to Quebec and Montreal
CORLETT John Thomas, 7, child, England to Quebec and Montreal.9
Research Note: in 1900
Mary Ann, as a young widow, brought Thomas to live in Montreal in 1896.
Her sister lived there at the time. (Jane Maria)
She seemingly worked as a pastry cook.
She was unable to manage her son, so he lived and went to school at "Weredale Home", which is now a 'reform school' in Montreal.
Mary appeared on the 1901 Canadian Census of 31 Mar 1901 at District No 175 St Antoine, Montreal, Quebec, Canada;
SHEPHERD Henry H, Head, 75, England
GREEN Elizabeth, Niece, S, 54, England
CORLETT Mrs T, F, Domestic, Widow, 1 June 1861, aged 39, Isle of Man, arrived 1895, Methodist, General Servant, earnings $168.10
Mary appeared on the 1911 Canadian Census of 2 Apr 1911 at 213 Drummond, Montreal, Quebec, Canada;
ROBERTSON Robert M, 46, Head, Widow
ROBERTSON Geo Ran, Son, 18
ROBERTSON Ward S, Son, 16
ANDER Edith, Servant, 28
CORLETT Mary, Servant, Widow, June 1865, aged 45, Isle of Man, 1895, Manx, Methodist, Servant, employed since 2.9.09, in House, 52 weeks employed in 1910, 70 hours per week, earning $350 in 1910.11
Mary Ann Corlett witnessed the baptism of Douglas Thomas Corlett on 16 Apr 1912 in Baptist Olivet Church, Montreal, Quebec, Canada,
Thomas Douglas Corlett
son of John Thomas Corlett
living at Number Four Hundred and Seventeen A St Antoine Street, City of Montreal, (? ) of Quebec and of his wife Mary Scott was presented to me for requeshlim this Sixteenth Day of April in the year of our Lord One Thousand Nine Hundred and Twelve. He was born at the above address on the Twenty Third day of August in the year of our Lord One Thousand Nine Hundred and Twelve (should be Eleven)
Joseph Fullum, Minister
John Thomas Corlett, Father
Mary Scott, Mother.12
Mary was found on a passenger list dated 1 Aug 1925 going from Canada via "Aurania" to Liverpool, England,
CORLETT Mary, to Kirkbirde, Ramsey, Isle of Man, Third Class, Domestic, aged 64, from Canada.13
Mary was found on a passenger list dated 16 Jul 1926 going from Liverpool via "Aurania" to Quebec, Canada,
CORLETT Mary A,
Mother (crossed out and Nil), aged 65, M, born IOM, Parish of Andreas, Nationality IOM, Manx, when in Canada before - 1896 - July 24 1925, 3316 Stewart Ave, Montreal. Housewife, going to Son, Mr John T Corlett, 3316 Stewart Avenue, Montreal.
Nearest relative from country in which you have just come - Brother, Robert Corlett, Ballyberg.
Passport No, 94476, Canada, issued 22.7.25, holding $25, admitted as Returned Canadian.14
Mary died on 4 Jan 1928 at Montreal, Quebec, Canada, at age 67 years.15
Mary was buried on 7 Jan 1928 at Mount Royal Cemetery, Montreal, Quebec, Canada,
Mary Ann Kneale, widow of the late Thomas William Corlett, in his lifetime Seaman, of the Isle of Man, died on the Fourth Day of January in the year of our Lord Nineteen Hundred and Twenty Eight and her age being Sixty-Six years and was buried at Mount Royal Cemetery on the Seventh Day of January in the same year in the presence of us the undersigned.
John Thomas Corlett
and by me
A G Howard (Acumbant).16
|Father*||Thomas Kneale (c 1832 - Feb 1913)|
|Mother*||Mary Teare (c 1834 - Sep 1902)|
- [S1] Certificate held on file, Held by Ailsa Corlett, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia. Hereinafter cited as Certificate held on file.
- [S21] Church Registers, Various Repositories , Parish Register Transcripts of Andreas, 1649-1883- Andreas 1849 - 1883 - Baptisms March 1849 - Dec 1883, Marriages May 1849 - Nov 1883, Burials March 1849 - Dec 1883
Film No 106179 Item 2
Viewed at Logan Central Library, 9 July 2013 and copy obtained.. Hereinafter cited as Church Registers.
- [S33] Birth Marriage and Burial Entries, International Genealogical Index & Family Search Web Site (IGI) : Family Search Web site, From 2000), Isle of Man, Parish Registers 1598 - 1950, Digital Folder No 004498368 Image Number 00092.
- [S172] 1871 Isle of Man Census (www.ancestry.co.uk: PRO England, 2 Arpril 1871), 1871 Class: RG10; Piece: 5772; Folio: 166; Page: 4; GSU roll: 895841. via Ancestry.
Recorded as Lean but have done a correction for Teare. Hereinafter cited as 1871 Isle of Man Census.
- [S173] 1881 Isle of Man Census (www.ancestry.co.uk: PRO England, 3 April 1881), 1881 Isle of Man, Bride, Bride, RG11/ 5599 pg 4. Hereinafter cited as 1881 Isle of Man Census.
- [S83] Registry IOM, IOM Registers, Lawsons BDM site, Ramsey Andreas, pg 21. Hereinafter cited as IOM Registers.
- [S33] International Genealogical Index & Family Search Web Site (IGI), Isle of Man, Marriages, 1849 -1911, M008935, film 454984 ref EB 405 pg 174 rn348.
- [S174] 1891 Isle of Man Census (www.ancestry.co.uk: PRO England, 5 April 1891), 1891 Isle of Man, Town of Ramsey, Lezayre, RG12/ 4685 pg 26. Hereinafter cited as 1891 Isle of Man Census.
- [S61] Passenger Lists, Shipping Records ), Canadian Passenger Lists 1865 - 1935 & findmypast.co.uk - Passenger Lists leaving UK 1890 - 1960 - Mongolian Sept 1896. Hereinafter cited as Shipping Records.
- [S152] Statistics of Canada Fonds, 1901 Canadian Census (Library and Archives Canada, Ottawa: www.ancestry.ca, 1901), Series RG31-C-1. Microfilm reels: T-6428 to T-6556., 1901 Montreal Saint-Antoine, Quebec Pg 12 Family No 108 (should be 110) - via Ancestry.ca - recorded as Corbett Mrs T. Hereinafter cited as 1901 Canadian Census.
- [S135] Statistics of Canada Fonds, 1911 Canadian Census (Library and Archives Canada, Ottawa: www.ancestry.ca, 1911), Series RG31-C-1. Microfilm reels T-20326 to T-20460., 1911District 180 Montreal St Antoine Quebec - Family No 522. Hereinafter cited as 1911 Canadian Census.
- [S119] Canadian Vitial Statistics Agency, Canadian BDM Record, Canadian Indexes, unknown repository address, 1912 Quebec, Vital and Church Records (Drouin Collection), 1621-1967 - Baptist Olivet Church. Hereinafter cited as Canadian BDM Record.
- [S61] Shipping Records, UK Incoming Passenger Lists 1878 - 1960 - From Montreal to Liverpool Arrived 1 Aug 1925.
- [S61] Shipping Records, Canadian Passenger Lists 1865 - 1935 arriving Quebec 26 July 1926 , T-14724, Vol 11 pg 37 Sheet No 5 Third Class.
- [S119] Canadian Vitial Statistics Agency, Canadian BDM Record: 1928 - Burial - Quebec Vital and Church Records (Drouin Collection) 1621 - 1967.
- [S119] Canadian Vitial Statistics Agency, Canadian BDM Record: 1928 - Burial - Quebec Vital and Church Records (Drouin Collection) 1621 - 1967 - St Laurent, Anglican Church, Saint Cuthbert
Mount Royal Cemetery - Buried in Section N 29-M.