Judith Radcliffe was born in 1806 at Andreas, Andreas, Isle of Man.
Judith Radcliffe was baptised on 31 May 1806 in Andreas, Andreas, Isle of Man,
This is the only baptism of a Judith Radcliffe/ Ratcliffe recorded for around this time frame.
Recorded as Judy Radcliffe Martin.
Parents: Wm Radcliffe and Mary Martin.
Query is; that Judith is baptised in Andreas, but marriage states she is from the parish of Braddan.1
If William Radcliffe and Mary Martin are Judith's parents, there is a very long lineage going back in the Isle of Man. Many of the connections are recorded on Ancestry.com along with details of Wills etc.
This certainly appears to be the correct parents, but I have no proof to say who Judith's parents are, just her age at death points to the year of birth around 1806.
Judith Radcliffe married James Cain, son of John Cain and Mary Clague, on 25 Nov 1830 at the Parish Church, Braddan, Braddan, Isle of Man,
Bachelor of the parish of Marown and
of this parish were married in the Church by Licence this 25th day of November 1830, by me Thomas Howard, Vicar.
This Marriage was solominized between us James Cain & Judith Cain late Ratcliffe ( x her mark)
In the precence of Hugh Shimmin and John Skillicorn.2,3,4
As of 25 Nov 1830,her married name was Cain.
Judith appeared on the 1841 Isle of Man Census of 6 Jun 1841 in the household of James Cain at Cronk Dhoo, German, Isle of Man;
CAIN James, 33, Shoemaker, Y
CAIN Judith, 36, Y
CAIN John 9, Y
CAIN James 5, Y
CAIN Mary, 4, Y.5
Judith died in Sep 1849 at Greeba, German, Isle of Man, at age 43 years.
Judith was buried on 1 Oct 1849 at Peel Cemetery, Peel, German, Isle of Man,
Judith is recorded in the burial register, as aged 43 at Greeba. Als Radcliffe.
Has no headstone.6
Children of Judith Radcliffe and James Cain
- [S33] Birth Marriage and Burial Entries, International Genealogical Index & Family Search Web Site (IGI) : Family Search Web site, From 2000), 1806 - Isle of Man, Parish Registers, 1598 - 1950 - Digital Folder No 004505051 Image No 00019.
- [S1] Certificate held on file, Held by Ailsa Corlett, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia. Hereinafter cited as Certificate held on file.
- [S83] Registry IOM, IOM Registers, Parish Register of Braddan Douglas, 1830. Hereinafter cited as IOM Registers.
- [S33] International Genealogical Index & Family Search Web Site (IGI), "Isle of Man Parish Registers, 1598-2009," database with images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XZR5-XBM : 1 October 2015), James Cain and Judith Ratcliffe, 25 Nov 1830, Marriage; citing Braddan, Isle of Man, Manx National Heritage Library, Douglas.
- [S169] 1841 Isle of Man Census (www.ancestry.co.uk: PRO England, 6 June 1841), 1841 Isle of Man - German, HO 107/ 1463/7 pg 50. Hereinafter cited as 1841 Isle of Man Census.
- [S33] International Genealogical Index & Family Search Web Site (IGI), 1849 - Isle of Man, Parish Registers, 1598 - 1950 - Digital Folder No 004504635 Image No 00155.