Elizabeth Schorfield was born c 1806 at Halifax, Yorkshire, England.
Elizabeth Schorfield married George Haigh on 28 Oct 1828 at St John the Baptist, Halifax, Yorkshire, England,
George Haigh of Halifax of this Parish, cordmaker, Bachelor
and Elizabeth Schorfield of Southowrams of this Parish, Spinster
were married in this Church by Banns with Consent of
this twentyth day of Octobert in the Year One thousand eight hundred and twenty eight
this Marriage was solemnized between us:
Elizabeth Schorfield X Mark
In the Presence of Samaual Haigh and Thomas Beaver
Banns of Marriage between George Haigh of Halifax, Cordmaker and Elizabeth Scholefield of Southowram, spinster, both in this Parish were published on the Three Sundays underwirtten.
that is to say, On Sunday the 5th, 12th and 19th of October 1828.1,2
As of 28 Oct 1828,her married name was Haigh.
Elizabeth appeared on the 1841 English Census of 6 Jun 1841 in the household of George Haigh at Bank Side PB, Southowram, Halifax, Yorkshire, England;
HAIGH George, 30, Ag Lab, Yes
HAIGH Elizabeth, 35, Yes
HAIGH Abraham, 9, Yes
HAIGH George, 6, Yes
HAIGH Agness, 2, Yes.3
Elizabeth immigrated on 13 Oct 1841 from Gravesend London via " Birman" to Port Nicholson Wellington, New Zealand, with George Haigh
"Birman" arrived Port Nicholson 1st March 1842.
HAIGH, George, 33, Gardener & Agricultural labourer
HAIGH, Abraham, 9
HAIGH, George, 7
HAIGH, Agnes Bell, 2.4
Elizabeth died on 9 Feb 1853 at Wellington, Wellington, New Zealand ,
Elizabeth Haigh, aged 47yrs
Wife of George Haigh, Mason, formerly of Wellington.1,5
Elizabeth's cause of death on 9 Feb 1853 was from Consumption.
Children of Elizabeth Schorfield and George Haigh
- [S1] Certificate held on file, Held by Ailsa Corlett, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia. Hereinafter cited as Certificate held on file.
- [S21] Church Registers, Various Repositories , 1828 hallifax, St John the Baptist, Yorkshire via Ancestry
West Yorkshire Archive Service; Wakefield, Yorkshire, England; Yorkshire Parish Records; Old Reference Number: D53/1/55; New Reference Number: WDP53/1/3/23.. Hereinafter cited as Church Registers.
- [S26] 1841 English Census (www.ancestry.co.uk: PRO England, 6 June 1841), 1841 Halifax Yorkshire, HO 107/ 1303/10 pg 18 & 19. Hereinafter cited as 1841 English Census.
- [S61] Passenger Lists, Shipping Records ), To New Zealand, Early Wellington by Louis E Ward. Hereinafter cited as Shipping Records.
- [S2] NZRGO, Lower Hutt, New Zealand, NZ BDM Indexes, Held by Ailsa Corlett, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, 1853 NZ Online Database: 1853/455 aged 47yrs. Hereinafter cited as NZ BDM Indexes.