Elizabeth Cain was born on 17 Oct 1884 at Larrikins, Kumara, Westcoast, New Zealand ,
Parents: Thomas Edward Cain, Gold Miner, 32 yrs, IOM & Anne Maria Schaivi, 18 yrs, Southspit
Married: 24 March 1883, Kumara
Thomas Edward Cain, Father, Larrikins Kumara was the informant of the birth.1,2
She was the daughter of Thomas Edward Cain and Anna Maria Schiavi.
Elizabeth witnessed the marriage of Wallace Victor Willis and Annie Cain on 10 Dec 1910 The Public Hall, Birchfield, Waimangaroa, Westcoast, New Zealand .1,3
Elizabeth Cain married Norman Charles Hammond, son of Joseph Hammond and Jane Brown, on 4 Nov 1911 at In the Public Hall, Birchfield, Westcoast, New Zealand ,
Norman Charles Hammond,
22, Bushman, Bachelor,
Parents: Joseph Hamond, Fisherman & Jane Brown
27, Domestic Duties, Spinster,
Parents: Thomas Edward Cain, Farmer & Annie Marion Schiavi
Witnessess: John O'Connell, Farmer, Birchfield and Frances Cain, Domestic Servant, Westport
The Bridal Party consisted of William Cain, Annie Cain, Norman Hammond, Elizabeth Cain and Mona Cain.1,4
William, Annie, Norman, Elizabeth and Mona
Photo Courtsey of Bill Cain
As of 4 Nov 1911,her married name was Hammond.
Elizabeth was present on the 1919 Electoral Roll Kaipara, Northland, New Zealand , in the household of Norman Charles Hammond.
HAMMOND, Elizabeth, Whakapirau, married
HAMMOND, Norman Charles, Whakapirau, Road Foreman.5
Elizabeth was present on the 1928 Electoral Roll Lyttelton, Canterbury, New Zealand , in the household of Norman Charles Hammond.
HAMMOND Norman Charles, Bruce Terrace, Akaroa, labourer
HAMMOND Elizabeth, Bruce Terrace, Akaroa, married.6
Elizabeth Hammond was on the 1935 Electoral Roll Lyttelton, Canterbury, New Zealand ,
HAMMOND Elizabeth, Voelas Road, Lyttelton, married.7
Elizabeth was in the photo with Anna Maria Cain taken c 1938;
Anna Maria with her two great grandchildren, Yvonne Brassell and the baby is a Fox, along with her daughters Frances and Elizabeth.8
Elizabeth Hammond was on the 1938 Electoral Roll Birchfield, Westcoast, New Zealand ,
HAMMOND Elizabeth, C/o Mrs Cain, Birchfield, married.9
Elizabeth Hammond was on the 1946 Electoral Roll Birchfield, Westcoast, New Zealand ,
HAMMOND Elizabeth, Birchfield, married.10
Elizabeth died on 4 Oct 1947 at 157 Derby Street, Westport, Westcoast, New Zealand , at age 62 years, 11 months and 17 days
Married, from Birchfield, aged 63.
(157 Derby St, was her sister Frances Fox's address)
Parents: Thomas Cain, Farmer & Ann Cain MS Schavia
Born at Greenstone
Married at Birchfiled to Norman Hammond
No children recorded.1,11
Elizabeth's cause of death on 4 Oct 1947 was from Carcinoma of Pancreas - 1 year.
Elizabeth was buried on 5 Oct 1947 at Orowaiti Cemetery, Buller, Westcoast, New Zealand ,
There is no Headstone recorded on the NZSG micofiche for Elizabeth.12
Elizabeth Hammond's estate was probated on 24 Oct 1947 at Westport, Westcoast, New Zealand ,
married woman, Birchfield
Elizabeth's Will was dated 14th Decemeber 1946.
This is the Last Will and Testament of me Elizabeth Hammond of Birchfield in the Dominion of New Zealand, Married woman : -
Maud Mona Seymour of Westport, married woman was appointed to be the sole Executrix of her will.
3. I give Devise and Bequeath all my property, both real and personal, of whatsoever kind and wheresoever situate unto Ethel Brassel, Yvonne Brassel, Desmond Hammond, and Allan Hammond all of Lyttleton in the said Dominion, in equal shares.
Signed in front of:
M Griffiths, Post Mistress, Birchfield, Westport & F Fox, House Wife, 157 Derby St, Westport
Total amount payable for probate was £184.108.40.206
Children of Elizabeth Cain and Norman Charles Hammond
|Father*||Thomas Edward Cain (1852 - 9 May 1931)|
|Mother*||Anna Maria Schiavi (7 Apr 1866 - 14 Aug 1945)|
- [S1] Certificate held on file, Held by Ailsa Corlett, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia. Hereinafter cited as Certificate held on file.
- [S2] NZRGO, Lower Hutt, New Zealand, NZ BDM Indexes, Held by Ailsa Corlett, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, 1884 Folio No 4033, Dec Qtr. Hereinafter cited as NZ BDM Indexes.
- [S2] NZRGO, Lower Hutt, New Zealand, NZ BDM Indexes: 1910 Folio No 7274.
- [S2] NZRGO, Lower Hutt, New Zealand, NZ BDM Indexes: 1911 Folio No 8072.
- [S6] Elections, Electoral Roll (Auckland, New Zealand: BAB Microfilming, 1853 - 1967), 1919 NZ Electoral Roll, Kaipara. Hereinafter cited as Electoral Roll.
- [S6] Electoral Roll, 1928 NZ Electoral Roll, Lyttelton Canterbury.
- [S6] Electoral Roll, 1935 NZ Electoral Roll, Lyttelton Canterbury.
- [S186] Letter or email from Bill Cain (Birchfield NZ) to Ailsa Corlett, Various letters or emails; Held by Ailsa Corlett (Brisbane, Queensland, Australia) copies of photos sent c 1992.
- [S6] Electoral Roll, 1938 NZ Electoral Roll, Buller Supplementary West Coast.
- [S6] Electoral Roll, 1946 NZ Electoral Roll, Buller West Coast.
- [S2] NZRGO, Lower Hutt, New Zealand, NZ BDM Indexes: 1947 Folio No 4533, Dec Qtr - (Buller) - NZ Online Database - 1947/31261 aged 63yrs.
- [S3] NZSG, NZ Cemetery Records (Auckland, New Zealand & Online Council Databases: NZSG, 1988), Buller Council Online Database: Plot 856 Block F Orowaiti. Hereinafter cited as NZ Cemetery Records.
- [S40] Probate NZ, Westport Court, Probate No 1183, Will, Filed 24 Oct 1947, Housed at National Archives New Zealand.