Tory Walter Spooner
(photo with story about the Spooner Cross on www.wargraves.co.nz/Wairarapa/Clareville/40138.htm)
courtsey of Adele Pentony-Graham & Phil Lascelles
Tory Walter Spooner was born on 26 Aug 1913 at Carterton, Wairarapa, New Zealand ,
Parents: Myrtle Alice & Walter Henry Spooner
(in both indexes, is registered as an unnamed male)
Marriage, Death and War Index lists him as Tory, but family members have him as Tori.1
Tory Walter Spooner married Rita Kay, daughter of John Corlett and Olive Martha Kay, on 6 Jun 1936 at New Zealand .2
Tory began Military Service on 1 Apr 1941 NZEF WW11 Nominal Roll, New Zealand ,
SPOONER Tory Walter, No 40138, Pte, Inf Reinfs, Married, Masterton, Lorry driver, 18 Rhodes St, Carterton.
NOK: Mrs R spooner, 18 Rhodes St, Carterton (wife).3
Tory died on 12 Mar 1946 at Carterton, Wairarapa, New Zealand , at age 32 years, 6 months and 14 days.4
Tory was buried on 19 Mar 1946 at Clareville Cemetery, Carterton, Wairarapa, New Zealand ,
Tory Walter Spooner
40138, NZ Medical Corps
who died on 12 March 1946, Aged 32.
Son of Walter Henry and Myrtle Alice Spooner; husband of Rita spooner, of Carterton
Remembered with Honour.5,6
Research Note: in 1946
From a local book "Nga Maharatanga o Wairarapa" - Edited by Catherine Morrison.
Copy of which I own.
On a bush ridge, during May of 1946, on a track between Pinnacle Saddle to Baldy, Tory (or Tori) Spooner, the oldest of five Greytown brothers was tramping alone.
He collapsed and died and his body was later found by his brothers.
All brothers were keen deer stalkers, and although they buried Tory in Clareville (the book says Greytown), they went back into the bush and erected a cross of wood to the memory of their brother.
The cross was well known among trampers during the 40s and 50s. and was reportedly still there in 1960 but no one has seen it since then.
The Spooner boys also built a hut in memory of their brother. Of log/slab construction it was built at the junction of the Atiwhakatu-Jumbo Track with the old, now non-existent Angle Knob Sidle Track but was demolished, it is thought, when the current Jumbo Hut was built in the early 1980s.
(Thanks goes to Adele and Phil for putting details about Tory up on the Wargraves site) - refer to source documentation for the web site.7
- [S2] NZRGO, Lower Hutt, New Zealand, NZ BDM Indexes, Held by Ailsa Corlett, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Folio No 3996, Sept Qtr & Online Database: 1913/17792. Hereinafter cited as NZ BDM Indexes.
- [S2] NZRGO, Lower Hutt, New Zealand, NZ BDM Indexes: Folio No 6062 - recorded under Kay.
- [S17] "NZEF Enlistment Records", War Enlistment Rolls; Held by Ailsa Corlett; Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, NZ Army WW11 Nominal Roll, 1939 -1948 - Roll 4: 1 april 1941 - 30 June 1941. Hereinafter cited as "NZEF Enlistment Records."
- [S2] NZRGO, Lower Hutt, New Zealand, NZ BDM Indexes: DIA Online Database: 1946/17839 aged 32yrs (recorded as Tony) Folio No 513, March Qtr (recorded as Tory).
- [S3] NZSG, NZ Cemetery Records (Auckland, New Zealand & Online Council Databases: NZSG, 1988), Online database: Plot 5, RSA. Hereinafter cited as NZ Cemetery Records.
- [S46] Transcription: War Records; Commonwealth War Graves . Online http://www.cwgc.org/; Publish Date 1999, Clareville Carterton Cemetery, Memorial.
- [S41] Miscellaneous Records , www.wargraves.co.nz/Wairarapa/Clareville/40138.htm
Photographs by Adele Pentony-Graham - data © 2002-05 Adele Pentony-Graham / Phil Lascelles Updated 15-Apr-06 00:30:21 +1300.