Henry Yates was baptised on 30 Dec 1832 in St John the Baptist, Halifax, Yorkshire, England,
Parents: John and Jane, Joiner
He was the son of John Yates and Jane //.
Henry immigrated on 6 Nov 1841 from Liverpool, England via "Martha Ridgway" to Nelson, New Zealand, with John Yates
"Martha Ridgway" arrived Nelson, 7 April 1842.
YATES John, Married, 33, Carpenter
YATES Jane, Married, 31, Wife
YATES Henry, Child, 9
YATES Edward, Child, 2.3
Henry Yates married Agnes Bell Haigh, daughter of George Haigh and Elizabeth Schorfield, on 11 Mar 1856 at Wellington, Wellington, New Zealand ,
no marriage notice in papers located.4
Henry died on 18 Jan 1872 at Masterton, Wairarapa, New Zealand , at age 39 years and 19 days
Henry Yates, aged 40yrs (Indexes say 38yrs), A Farmer, late a Grocer carrying on business in Wellington.1,5
Henry's cause of death on 18 Jan 1872 was from Disease of the Liver.
Henry was buried on 20 Jan 1872 at Archer Street Cemetery, Masterton, Wairarapa, New Zealand ,
ILMO Henry Yates died 18 Jan 1872 aged 39 years;
and Elizabeth Yates died 11 Oct 1885 aged 26 years;
and John Yates died 28 March 1880 aged 72 years;
and Jane Yates died 24 Jan 1890 aged 82 years;
and Agnes Bell relict of Henry Yates died 7 Nov 1920 aged 82 years.6
Henry's death notice appeared on 20 Jan 1872 in the "Wellington Independent", New Zealand ,
At Masterton, Wairarapa, on the 18th instant, Mr Henry Yates, aged 38 years.7
Henry Yates's estate was probated on 24 Jan 1872 at Wellington Court, New Zealand .8
25 Jan 1872 Henry Yates was mentioned in the "Wellington Independent", New Zealand , newspaper
Any Persons having Claims against the Estate of the late Henry Yates are requested to send in the same to the undersigned for settlement, and all persons indebted to the same are requested to pay their accounts one month from date, or they will be placed in the hands of a solicitor for recovery.
T H CLAPHAM & SAM HAIGH Executors.
Wellington, Jan 24th 1872.9
Children of Henry Yates and Agnes Bell Haigh
- John Yates (21 Jan 1857 - 17 Oct 1924)
- Elizabeth Yates+ (c 1859 - 11 Oct 1885)
- Mary Yates (1861 - 12 Jul 1945)
- George Henry Yates (1863 - 9 Jun 1930)
- Agnes Yates+ (1865 - 18 Sep 1942)
- Annie Jane Yates (1868 - 19 Feb 1936)
- Edward Yates (1870 - 5 Dec 1928)
- Thomas Henry Yates (14 Jan 1872 - 5 Feb 1872)
- Samuel Haigh Yates (14 Jan 1872 - 5 Feb 1872)
|Father*||John Yates (c 1808 - 28 Mar 1880)|
|Mother*||Jane // (c 1808 - 24 Jan 1890)|
- [S1] Certificate held on file, Held by Ailsa Corlett, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia. Hereinafter cited as Certificate held on file.
- [S54] Old Church Records, Parish Registers, Various Repositories, West Yorkshire, England, Births and Baptisms, 1813-1910, Pg 85, Ref D53/1/18. Hereinafter cited as Parish Registers.
- [S61] Passenger Lists, Shipping Records ), To Nelson by Sailing ship - March 1842-June 1843, Pioneer Passengers, June E Neale. Hereinafter cited as Shipping Records.
- [S2] NZRGO, Lower Hutt, New Zealand, NZ BDM Indexes, Held by Ailsa Corlett, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Folio No 56/188. Hereinafter cited as NZ BDM Indexes.
- [S2] NZRGO, Lower Hutt, New Zealand, NZ BDM Indexes: Folio No 79, March Qtr
1872 NZ Online Indexes: 1872/3847 aged 40yrs.
- [S3] NZSG, NZ Cemetery Records (Auckland, New Zealand & Online Council Databases: NZSG, 1988), BURIED:889:BLOCK P ROW 3:. Hereinafter cited as NZ Cemetery Records.
- [S10] Newspaper, Various Papers, Wellington Independent, Vol XXVII, Issue 3401, 20 Jan 1872, Page 2. Hereinafter cited as Newspaper Article.
- [S40] Probate NZ, Wellington Court, Probate No 393, filed 24 Jan 1872, Will, Housed at National Archives New Zealand.
- [S10] Newspaper Article, Wellington Independent, Vol XXVII, Issue 3405, 25 Jan 1872, Page 2.