John Caesar Cain
John Caesar Cain was born on 17 Sep 1831 at German, Isle of Man,
The Date of 17 Sept 1830 for birth is recorded on John's death certificate and is also recorded on his headstone.
I am uncertain if the date of 1830 is correct due to his baptism being on the 18th Sept 1831 and parents only married in 1830 (not that that is unusual to have a child prior to marriage and then baptised later after marriage)
Certainly the Census records indicate his birth is 1831.
I have no proof to which year of birth is correct either 1830 or 1831.
He was the son of James Cain and Judith Radcliffe.
John Caesar Cain was baptised on 18 Sep 1831 in German, Isle of Man,
John Caesar Cain
James Cain & Judith Radcliffe.1,2
John appeared on the 1841 Isle of Man Census of 6 Jun 1841 in the household of James Cain at Cronk Dhoo, German, Isle of Man;
CAIN James, 33, Shoemaker, Y
CAIN Judith, 36, Y
CAIN John 9, Y
CAIN James 5, Y
CAIN Mary, 4, Y.3
John appeared on the 1851 Isle of Man Census of 30 Mar 1851 in the household of James Cain at Cronk Dhoo, German, Isle of Man;
CAIN James,Widower, Head, 41, Boot & Shoemaker,Born German
CAIN John, Son, Unm, 19 ,Boot & Shoemaker, German
CAIN Mary, Daur, Unm, 13, at home, German
CAIN William, Son, Unm, 8, Scholar, German
CAIN Catherine, Daur, Unm, 3 ,German
CAIN Elizabeth, Sister, Unm, 50, Housemaid, Michael
(On same page, at 2nd Cronk Dhoo, lived Elizabeth Radcliff, widow).4
John Caesar Cain married Catharine Quine on 22 Oct 1853 at Parish Church, German, Isle of Man,
Marriage Solemnized in the Parish Church in the Parish of German
John Cesar Cain,
of Full Age, Bachelor
Father: James Cain, Shoemaker
of Full Age, Spinster
Father: John Quine, Farmer
John Caeser Cain, Signed
Catherine Quine, X her mark
Witnesses: Philip Chucas, Parish Clerk & William Woods, Farmer X his mark.1,5
John was appeared on the 1870 USA Census of 4 Aug 1870 at Summerfield, Michigan, USA, also listed in the household was Catharine, John, Francis, Fredrick and Lillian ;
CAIN John C, 37, M, W, Farmer, $1000 value of Real Estate, $500 Value of Personal Estate, born Isle of Man, parents of foreign country.
CAIN Catharine, 39, F, W, Keeping House, born Isle of Man, parents of foreign county
CAIN John, 12, M, W, At Home, born Ohio, attended school in last year
CAIN Frank, 5, M, W, born Michigan
CAIN Fredrick, 3, M, W, born Michigan
CAIN Lillie, 1, F, W, born Michigan.6
John was appeared on the 1880 USA Census of 15 Jun 1880 at Summerfield, Michigan, USA, also listed in the household was Catharine, John, Francis, Fredrick and Lillian ;
CAIN John C, W M, 48, Farmer, born England, Parents born England
CAIN Catharine, W, F, 50, Wife, Keeping House, Born England, Parents born England
CAIN John T, W, M, 22, Son, Farm Laborer, was unemployed for 4mths during the census year, born Ohio, Parents born England
CAIN Francis, W, M, 15, Son, Work on Farm, born Michigan, Parents born England
CAIN Fredick R, W, M, 13, Son, Work on Farm, born Michigan, Parents forn England
CAIN Lillian J, W, F, 11, Daughter, at Home, born Michigan, Parents born England.7
John died on 19 Apr 1898 at Summerfield, Michigan, USA, at age 66 years, 7 months and 2 days
John C Cane
White Male, Married, Married when aged 25
Age: 67yrs 7mths 2 days
Parent of 7 children of whom 3 are living
Born: Isle of Man
Parents: James Cane & ? Ratclif, both of the Isle of Man
Died at 8 PM
Informant: John T Cain, Deerfield.1,8
John's cause of death on 19 Apr 1898 was from Pernicious Anaeimia
Anaemia was the cause of death.
John was buried on 21 Apr 1898 at Deerfield Township Cemetery, Deerfield, Michigan, USA,
Sept 17 1830 - Apr 19 1898
Catherine his wife
Dec 22 1829 - Feb 17 1907.9
Children of John Caesar Cain and Catharine Quine
|Father*||James Cain (1809 - 15 Jun 1880)|
|Mother*||Judith Radcliffe (1806 - Sep 1849)|
- [S1] Certificate held on file, Held by Ailsa Corlett, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia. Hereinafter cited as Certificate held on file.
- [S33] Birth Marriage and Burial Entries, International Genealogical Index & Family Search Web Site (IGI) : Family Search Web site, From 2000), Isle of Man, Parish Registers, 1598 - 1950 - digital folder 004504158.
- [S169] 1841 Isle of Man Census (www.ancestry.co.uk: PRO England, 6 June 1841), 1841 Isle of Man - German, HO 107/ 1463/7 pg 50. Hereinafter cited as 1841 Isle of Man Census.
- [S170] 1851 Isle of Man Census (www.ancestry.co.uk: PRO England, 30 March 1851), 1851 Isle of Man, German, HO 107/2523 Pg 183 District 1b. Hereinafter cited as 1851 Isle of Man Census.
- [S33] International Genealogical Index & Family Search Web Site (IGI), Isle of Man, Parish Registers, 1598 - 1950 - digital folder 004504484
"Isle of Man Parish Registers, 1598-2009," database with images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:X8MX-VF8 : 1 October 2015), John Cesar Cain and Catharine Quine, 22 Oct 1853, Marriage; citing German, Isle of Man, Manx National Heritage Library, Douglas.
- [S95] 1870 USA Census (www.ancestry.com: US Federal Govt, 10 Aug 1870), 1870 Michigan Monroe Summerfield, pg 28 - via Ancestry.com. Hereinafter cited as 1870 USA Census.
- [S98] 1880 USA Census (www.ancestry.com: US Federal Govt, 4 June1880), 1880 Summerfield, County of Monroe Michigan USA - Pag No 17, Supervi8sors Dis No 1, Enumeration Dist No 187 - via Ancestry.com. Hereinafter cited as 1880 USA Census.
- [S100] USA Govt, USA BDM Record, www.ancestry.com, Michigan, Deaths and Burials Index, 1867 - 1995 - FHL Film No: 2364222 - via Ancestry.com. Hereinafter cited as USA BDM Record.
- [S43] Cemetery Records , http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi
under the surname of CANE. Hereinafter cited as Cemetery Records.