Joseph Cain was born in 1857 at Ballagyr, German, Isle of Man.
He was the son of James Cain and Elizabeth Leece.
Joseph Cain was baptised on 27 Aug 1857 in German, Isle of Man,
son of James Cain & Elizabeth (Radcliffe),
Edward his twin also baptised same day.1,2
Joseph Cain was baptised on 2 Jan 1859 in German, Isle of Man,
It appears that both Joseph and Edward were baptised twice. Usually this indicates that a child is sickly and likely to die, and Edward did die in 1860..First Baptism is noted as Prviate, so perhaps this one was not.2
Joseph appeared on the 1861 Isle of Man Census of 7 Apr 1861 in the household of James Cain at WhiteStrand, German, German, Isle of Man;
CAIN James, Head, Mar, 52, Shoemaker, Michael
CAIN Elizabeth, Wife, Mar, 43, wife of shoemaker, Arbory
MORRISON Mary, Dau, Mar, 25, Sailors wife, German
CAIN Thomas, Son, 9, Shoemakers son, German
CAIN Joseph, Son, 3, Shoemakers Son, German.3
Joseph appeared on the 1871 Isle of Man Census of 2 Apr 1871 in the household of James Cain at Michael Road, Cain's House, German, German, Isle of Man;
CAIN James, Head, Mar, 59, Shoemaker, Michael
CAIN Elizabeth, Wife, Mar, 55, Arbory
CAIN Thomas, son, Unm, 19, Shoemaker, German
CAIN Joseph, Son, 13, Scholar, German.4
Joseph wrote a will on 23 Feb 1881 at German, Isle of Man,
This is the last Will and Testment of me Joseph Cain of Ballagur near Peel, Shoemaker, revoking all others do make this my last Will and Testament in living and manner following:
I do hareby make nominate constitute and appoint my beloved Mother Elizabeth Cain my whole and sole Executrix and do herebly leave and bequeath unto her all my Goods, Cash, Chattels and effects of every description what soever and do hereby debar all others claiming or pretending to claim with Sixpence Legacy.
This the Twenty Third day of February one thousand Eight Hundred and Eighty One (1881)
Joseph Cain his X mark
made in the presence of William Cowley and Eleanor Leece.
Probate was granted to Elizabeth Cain, Widow from the Chapter Court held at Peel 20th May 1881.5
Joseph died on 25 Feb 1881 at Ballagyr, Peel, German, Isle of Man, at age 24 years
Joseph was buried on 26 Feb 1881 at Peel Cemetery, Peel, German, Isle of Man,
Buried 26 Feb 1881, aged 23.
James CAIN of the Parish of ?
died 6th June 1880
aged 71 years.
Not lost but gone before.
Also JOSEPH son of the above
died 25th Feb 1881,
aged 23 years.
His end was peace.1,8,6,9
|Father*||James Cain (1809 - 15 Jun 1880)|
|Mother*||Elizabeth Leece (1817 - bt 1891 - 1901)|
- [S1] Certificate held on file, Held by Ailsa Corlett, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia. Hereinafter cited as Certificate held on file.
- [S33] Birth Marriage and Burial Entries, International Genealogical Index & Family Search Web Site (IGI) : Family Search Web site, From 2000), Isle of Man, Births and Baptism, 1821 - 1911 - C03815-1 - Mother as Elizabeth Radcliffe.
- [S171] 1861 Isle of Man Census (www.ancestry.co.uk: PRO England, 7 April 1861), 1861 IOM, German, RG 9/4420 pg 14 District 3. Hereinafter cited as 1861 Isle of Man Census.
- [S172] 1871 Isle of Man Census (www.ancestry.co.uk: PRO England, 2 Arpril 1871), 1871 IOM Kirk German, RG10/ 5771, pg 2. Hereinafter cited as 1871 Isle of Man Census.
- [S103] Will - England: Isle of Man - Episcopal Wills 1881 - BM 342, National Archives England, unknown repository address. Hereinafter cited as Will - England.
- [S43] Cemetery Records , Transcribed by Phyllis Watterson in 1991 - Grave No 1011 Peel Cemetery. Hereinafter cited as Cemetery Records.
- [S33] International Genealogical Index & Family Search Web Site (IGI), "Isle of Man Deaths and Burials, 1844-1918," database, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:X5ZW-5XJ : 4 December 2014), Joseph Cain, ; citing Peel, Isle Of Man, England, reference p 47, ln 391; FHL microfilm 454,971.
- [S83] Registry IOM, IOM Registers, Lawson's BDM site as well as sighted by Phyllis Watterson in 1991. Hereinafter cited as IOM Registers.
- [S33] International Genealogical Index & Family Search Web Site (IGI), "Isle of Man Parish Registers, 1598-2009," database with images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:X8MN-1Y7 : 1 October 2015), Joseph Cain, 26 Feb 1881, Burial; citing German, Isle of Man, Manx National Heritage Library, Douglas.