Mary Cain was born in 1837 at German, Isle of Man.
She was the daughter of James Cain and Judith Radcliffe.
Mary Cain was baptised on 28 May 1837 in German, Isle of Man,
James Cain & Judith Radcliffe.1,2
Mary appeared on the 1841 Isle of Man Census of 6 Jun 1841 in the household of James Cain at Cronk Dhoo, German, Isle of Man;
CAIN James, 33, Shoemaker, Y
CAIN Judith, 36, Y
CAIN John 9, Y
CAIN James 5, Y
CAIN Mary, 4, Y.3
Mary appeared on the 1851 Isle of Man Census of 30 Mar 1851 in the household of James Cain at Cronk Dhoo, German, Isle of Man;
CAIN James,Widower, Head, 41, Boot & Shoemaker,Born German
CAIN John, Son, Unm, 19 ,Boot & Shoemaker, German
CAIN Mary, Daur, Unm, 13, at home, German
CAIN William, Son, Unm, 8, Scholar, German
CAIN Catherine, Daur, Unm, 3 ,German
CAIN Elizabeth, Sister, Unm, 50, Housemaid, Michael
(On same page, at 2nd Cronk Dhoo, lived Elizabeth Radcliff, widow).4
Mary Cain married John Morrison on 22 May 1859 at Parish Church, Braddan, Isle of Man,
This marriage Solemnized in the Parish Church of the Parish of Kirk Braddan
Full Age, Bachelor,
Res: Hanover Street, Douglas
Father: John Morrison, Labourer
Full Age, Spinster
Res: Barrack Street, Douglas
Father: James Cain, Shoemaker
John Morrison X his Mark
Mary Cain, Signed
Witnesses: William Kewley & James Rilley.1,5
As of 22 May 1859,her married name was Morrison.
Mary appeared on the 1861 Isle of Man Census of 7 Apr 1861 in the household of James Cain at WhiteStrand, German, German, Isle of Man;
CAIN James, Head, Mar, 52, Shoemaker, Michael
CAIN Elizabeth, Wife, Mar, 43, wife of shoemaker, Arbory
MORRISON Mary, Dau, Mar, 25, Sailors wife, German
CAIN Thomas, Son, 9, Shoemakers son, German
CAIN Joseph, Son, 3, Shoemakers Son, German.6
Unable to locate further information about Mary or John Morrison.
There is another John Morrison of similar age, also a fisherman, living in Peel but married to an Eliza Kegg, who had family, and most likely the John Morrison on the 1861, 1871 and 1881 Census and who may have died in 1892, Peel.
Only Mary Morrison located on the 1871 census, give correct age, but states born in Ireland. This may or may not have been a typo, but others on the page definately say IOM.
There does not appear to be any children born to Mary and John, that have been located at this stage.
Family: Mary Cain and John Morrison
|Father*||James Cain (1809 - 15 Jun 1880)|
|Mother*||Judith Radcliffe (1806 - Sep 1849)|
- [S1] Certificate held on file, Held by Ailsa Corlett, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia. Hereinafter cited as Certificate held on file.
- [S33] Birth Marriage and Burial Entries, International Genealogical Index & Family Search Web Site (IGI) : Family Search Web site, From 2000), Isle of Man, Parish Registers, 1598 - 1950 - digital folder 004504158.
- [S169] 1841 Isle of Man Census (www.ancestry.co.uk: PRO England, 6 June 1841), 1841 Isle of Man - German, HO 107/ 1463/7 pg 50. Hereinafter cited as 1841 Isle of Man Census.
- [S170] 1851 Isle of Man Census (www.ancestry.co.uk: PRO England, 30 March 1851), 1851 Isle of Man, German, HO 107/2523 Pg 183 District 1b. Hereinafter cited as 1851 Isle of Man Census.
- [S33] International Genealogical Index & Family Search Web Site (IGI), Isle of Man, Parish Registers, 1598 - 1950 - digital folder 004495497
"Isle of Man Parish Registers, 1598-2009," database with images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XZTF-ZRJ : 1 October 2015), John Morrison and Mary Cain, 22 May 1859, Marriage; citing Braddan, Isle of Man, Manx National Heritage Library, Douglas.
- [S171] 1861 Isle of Man Census (www.ancestry.co.uk: PRO England, 7 April 1861), 1861 IOM, German, RG 9/4420 pg 14 District 3. Hereinafter cited as 1861 Isle of Man Census.