Illigitimate, born at 7.30am, Blackhill
to Jane Scott, Daughter of a Farmer
William Scott, Grandfather was present at the birth.1,2
He was the son of Jean Scott.
Hugh appeared on the 1871 Scottish Census of 2 Apr 1871 in the household of William Scott at Blackhill, Lanarkshire, Scotland ;
SCOTT William, Head, Widower, 65, Small Farmer (wrong occupation?), Carnwath, Lanark, 2 windows and 1 child at school
SCOTT Jane, Daur, Unm, 27, Servant, Carnwath
SCOTT William, Grandson, 7, Scholar, Carnwath
SCOTT Hugh, Grandson, 3, Carnwath
ALEXANDER Isabella, Visitor, Unm, 16, Carnwath (his granddaughter)
Everything is correct on this Census, apart from the recording of Small Farmer for his occupation.
So did William try his hand at Small Farmer for a time, but then revert back to being a Tailor or is this a error in recording by the enumerator.3
Hugh appeared on the 1881 Scottish Census of 3 Apr 1881 in the household of William Scott at Wester Cottage, Shotts, Lanarkshire, Scotland ;
SCOTT Wm, Head, Tailor, W, 78, M, Carnwath, Lanark
SCOTT Jane, Dau, Housekeeper, U, 38, F, Carnwath, Lanark
SCOTT Wm, Gr Son, Storeman, U, 17, M, Carnwath, Lanark
SCOTT Hugh, Gr Son, Apprentice Engineer, 23 (sic? 13?), M, Carnwath, Lanark.4
Hugh Scott witnessed the death of William Scott on 13 Feb 1889 Calderside Terrace, Shotts Iron Works, Calderhead, Lanarkshire, Scotland ,
Tailor, Widower of Marion Watson
at 8:15am, Calderside Terrace, Shotts, Iron Works, aged 87.
No parents names listed
Informant Hugh Scott, Grandson was present at his death.1,5
|Mother*||Jean Scott (17 Jul 1843 - )|
- [S1] Certificate held on file, Held by Ailsa Corlett, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia. Hereinafter cited as Certificate held on file.
- [S11] Scottish Record Office BDM Indexes, online www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk, 1867 Carnwath Lanark, 632/00 0001. Hereinafter cited as Scottish Record Office BDM Indexes.
- [S76] 1871 Scottish Census (www.scotlandspeople.co.uk: New Register House Edinburgh, 2 April 1871), 1871 Carnwath, Lanark, 632/00 008/000 008. Hereinafter cited as 1871 Scottish Census.
- [S15] 1881 Scottish Census (www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk: New Register House Edinburgh, 3 April 1881), 1881 FHL Film 0203618, GRO Ref Vol 626-B EnumDist 5 Page 12
RG 11, Shotts Lanarkshire. Hereinafter cited as 1881 Scottish Census.
- [S11] Scottish Record Office BDM Indexes, online www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk, #18644927, GRO Code 1=626, 2=B, 3=11.