SCOTT, Jean lawful daughter of William Scott and Marion Watson born at Forth Parish of Carnwath 17th July 1843.1,2
She was the daughter of William Scott and Marion Watson.
Jean Scott was also known as Jane Scott.
Jane appeared on the 1851 Scottish Census of 30 Mar 1851 in the household of William Scott at Forth, Lanarkshire, Scotland ;
SCOTT, William , Head, M, 48, Tailor, Employed 1 man, Carnwath. Lanark
SCOTT, Marrion, Wife, M, 50, Carnwath
SCOTT, James, Son, U, 25, Labourer, Carstairs
SCOTT, Robert, Son, U, 21, Miner, Carstairs
SCOTT, Hugh, Son, U, 19, Tailor, Cairstairs
SCOTT, Janet, Dau, U, 17, Carstairs
SCOTT, Elizabeth, Dau, U, 9, Scholar, Carnwath
SCOTT, Jane, Dau, U, 7, Scholar, Carnwath
SCOTT, William, Son, U, 5, Scholar, Carnwath.3
Jane appeared on the 1871 Scottish Census of 2 Apr 1871 in the household of William Scott at Blackhill, Lanarkshire, Scotland ;
SCOTT William, Head, Widower, 65, Small Farmer (wrong occupation?), Carnwath, Lanark, 2 windows and 1 child at school
SCOTT Jane, Daur, Unm, 27, Servant, Carnwath
SCOTT William, Grandson, 7, Scholar, Carnwath
SCOTT Hugh, Grandson, 3, Carnwath
ALEXANDER Isabella, Visitor, Unm, 16, Carnwath (his granddaughter)
Everything is correct on this Census, apart from the recording of Small Farmer for his occupation.
So did William try his hand at Small Farmer for a time, but then revert back to being a Tailor or is this a error in recording by the enumerator.4
Jane appeared on the 1881 Scottish Census of 3 Apr 1881 in the household of William Scott at Wester Cottage, Shotts, Lanarkshire, Scotland ;
SCOTT Wm, Head, Tailor, W, 78, M, Carnwath, Lanark
SCOTT Jane, Dau, Housekeeper, U, 38, F, Carnwath, Lanark
SCOTT Wm, Gr Son, Storeman, U, 17, M, Carnwath, Lanark
SCOTT Hugh, Gr Son, Apprentice Engineer, 23 (sic? 13?), M, Carnwath, Lanark.5
|Father*||William Scott (c 1803 - 13 Feb 1889)|
|Mother*||Marion Watson (c 1801 - 29 Apr 1864)|
- [S32] GROS, Scottish OPR's (www.scotlandspeople.co.uk: pre 1855), Carnwath, Lanark, 632 /1-3 GSQ 19 Feb 2000
Part 3 BDM 1820 - 1854. Hereinafter cited as Scottish OPR's.
- [S22] Birth and Marriage Entries, International Genealogical Index (IGI) (Woolloongabba, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia: Genealogical Society of Qld, 1988 Version), C116325/3058 also same details via Internet.
- [S28] 1851 Scottish Census (www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk: New Register House Edinburgh, 30 March 1851), 1851 Forth,Carnwath, Lanark Census Film, Upper Ward district 677, Book 8, Page 22
632/00 008/00 022. Hereinafter cited as 1851 Scottish Census.
- [S76] 1871 Scottish Census (www.scotlandspeople.co.uk: New Register House Edinburgh, 2 April 1871), 1871 Carnwath, Lanark, 632/00 008/000 008. Hereinafter cited as 1871 Scottish Census.
- [S15] 1881 Scottish Census (www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk: New Register House Edinburgh, 3 April 1881), 1881 FHL Film 0203618, GRO Ref Vol 626-B EnumDist 5 Page 12
RG 11, Shotts Lanarkshire. Hereinafter cited as 1881 Scottish Census.