at 8 AM
Parents: William Patrick, Blacksmith (Journeyman) & Joan Wilson
Married 6th June 1884, Glasgow
William Patrick, Father was present at her birth.1,2
She was the daughter of William Patrick and Joan Wilson.
Joan appeared on the 1901 Scottish Census of 31 Mar 1901 in the household of William Patrick at 551 Govan Street, Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Scotland ;
PATRICK, William, Head, widow, 49, Gasfitter, worker, Glasgow Lanarkshire, 2 rooms with windows
PATRICK, Isabella, daughter, 16, Glasgow, Lanarkshire
PATRICK, John, Son, 14, Biscuit Baker Apprentice, Worker, Glasgow, Lanarkshire
PATRICK, William, Son, 12, Scholar, Glasgow, Lanarkshire
PATRICK, Joan, Daughter, 10, Scholar, Glasgow, Lanarkshire
PATRICK, Margaret, Daughter, 8, Scholar, Glasgow, Lanarkshire.3
Joan Patrick married Adam James Fairholm Gibson Scott, son of Adam Scott and Marion Pickard Farm, in 1917 at Northampton, Northamptonshire, England,
Located in England, maybe where Adam was based for the war.4
As of 1917,her married name was Scott.
Joan immigrated on 4 Aug 1922 from Liverpool via the "Dorset" to Dunedin, New Zealand , with Adam Gibson Scott
Ticket No 374
SCOTT Adam G, 51 Prince Albert St Glasgow, 3rd class, to Dunedin, Steel tester, aged 28, Born Scotland, to New Zealand
SCOTT Joan, 30
SCOTT Marion F, 3.5
Joan was present on the 1925 Electoral Roll Dunedin, Otago, New Zealand , in the household of Adam Gibson Scott.
SCOTT, Adam Gibson, 12 Swan Street, Bond Keeper
SCOTT, Joan, 12 Swan Street, married.6
Joan was present on the 1928 Electoral Roll Dunedin, Otago, New Zealand , in the household of Adam Gibson Scott.
SCOTT Adam Gibson, 12 Swan St, bondkeeper
SCOTT Joan, 12 Swan St, married
PATRICK William, 12 Swan St, retired.7
Research Note: c 1928
Joan looked after Neil Scott's family after Mary died.
She would have had 7 children to look after at the time as well as her father who was in his late 70's.
Her husband and father were also not well during this time period.
It would have been very hard on Joan to cope with all of this.
Joan was present on the 1931 Electoral Roll Dunedin, Otago, New Zealand , in the household of Adam Gibson Scott.
SCOTT, Adam Gibson, 365 Leith Street, Bondkeeper
SCOTT, Joan, 365 Leith Street, married
PATRICK, William, 365 Leith Street, retired
This must have been the time when they moved from Swan Street to Leith Street, as Joan is recorded on the Electoral Roll at both addresses, but with an amendment to the address at 12 Swan Street.8
Joan Scott was on the 1935 Electoral Roll Dunedin, Otago, New Zealand ,
SCOTT Joan, 91 Elm Row, married
(cannot be certain that this is Joan but Joan did not return to Scotland with Adam and remained in Dunedin).9
Research Note: in 1935
Joan's father William PATRICK died in Dunedin in 1935.
It must have been around 1932/33 that Adam returned to Scotland, he was there while my Mother was there during the years of 1931/2 - 1934.
After looking after 7 children, an elderly father, a husband who was not well and then who returned to Scotland, this must have been an extremely trying time for Joan to cope with.
Joan does not appear on any
PO Directories until 1940, and then I cannot be certain that it is her.
Joan Scott was on the 1940 Directory.
SCOTT, Mrs Joan, 11 Bedford Street, Dunedin.10
Joan Scott was on the 1949 Electoral Roll Dunedin, Otago, New Zealand , also listed in the household was Marion
SCOTT, Joan, 107 Highcliff Road, married
MORGAN, Marion Fairholm, 107 Highcliff Road, widow.11
Joan Scott was on the 1966 Electoral Roll Dunedin, Otago, New Zealand ,
SCOTT, Joan, 31P Bradshaw Street, Dunedin, widow.12
Joan died on 18 Apr 1969 at Public Hospital, Dunedin, Otago, New Zealand , at age 77 years, 8 months and 14 days
From 31 Bradshaw Street.1,13
Joan's cause of death on 18 Apr 1969 was from Perforation large bowel.
Chronic obstructive respiratory disease.
Joan's death notice appeared on 19 Apr 1969 in the "Otago Daily Times" newspaper, New Zealand ,
of 31 Bradshaw St, South Dunedin, On April 18 1969 at Dunedin dearly beloved Mother of Marion (Mrs Van Sloten), Wilhelmina (Mrs Caley), Joan (Mrs Lane) and Larry (Adam) and loved grandmother and great grandmother in her seventy eighth year.
Peacefully at rest.
The funeral service will commence at the Crematorium Chapel, Anderson's Bay Today (Saturday) April 19 at 12 noon.
No flowers by request.
Messages to 10 Gloucester St, Anderson Bay
K McLean & Son Ltd Funeral Directors.14
Joan was cremated on 19 Apr 1969 at Anderson's Bay Cemetery, Dunedin, Otago, New Zealand ,
Purchased by Mrs J Stuart - 1935
ILMO William PATRICK d. 23 Nov 1935 aged 83yrs also his daughter Joan SCOTT d 18 April 1969 aged 77 yrs.
Dirk Van SLOTEN a loved husband and father 26 April 1916 - 31 Oct 1975. ROMS: VI.15
|Father*||William Patrick (c 1852 - 23 Nov 1935)|
|Mother*||Joan Wilson (c 1863 - c 1899)|
Children of Joan Patrick and Adam James Fairholm Gibson Scott
- [S1] Certificate held on file, Held by Ailsa Corlett, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia. Hereinafter cited as Certificate held on file.
- [S11] Scottish Record Office BDM Indexes, online www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk, 1891 Gorbals, Glasgow GROS 644/12/1093. Hereinafter cited as Scottish Record Office BDM Indexes.
- [S63] 1901 Scottish Census (www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk: New Register House Edinburgh, 31 March 1901), 1901 Govan, Glasgow, Lanarkshire. Hereinafter cited as 1901 Scottish Census.
- [S78] BDM Indexes online: England Civil Registration online, findmypast.co.uk . Online www.findmypast.com/ www.ancestry.co.uk;, 1917 March Qtr, Northampton, Northamptonshire 3B 89.
- [S61] Passenger Lists, Shipping Records ), Findmypast.co.ukl - immigration records. Hereinafter cited as Shipping Records.
- [S6] Elections, Electoral Roll (Auckland, New Zealand: BAB Microfilming, 1853 - 1967), 1925 Electoral Roll, Dunedin North. Hereinafter cited as Electoral Roll.
- [S6] Electoral Roll, 1928 Electoral Roll, Dunedin North.
- [S6] Electoral Roll, 1931 Electoral Roll, Dunedin North.
- [S6] Electoral Roll, 1935 Electoral Roll, Dunedin West.
- [S12] Directories, NZ PO Directory (Auckland, New Zealand: BAB Microfilming, 1866 - 1955), Wises 1940 PO Directory. Hereinafter cited as NZ PO Directory.
- [S6] Electoral Roll, 1949 Electoral Roll, St Kilda.
- [S6] Electoral Roll, 1966 Electoral Roll, St Kilda.
- [S2] NZRGO, Lower Hutt, New Zealand, NZ BDM Indexes, Held by Ailsa Corlett, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Folio No 1671, aged 77. Hereinafter cited as NZ BDM Indexes.
- [S10] Newspaper, Various Papers, 19 April 1969 Otago Daily Times. Hereinafter cited as Newspaper Article.
- [S3] NZSG, NZ Cemetery Records (Auckland, New Zealand & Online Council Databases: NZSG, 1988), Vol 4. No 1150. Block 134 Plot 33 - Return to Funeral Director 21 April 1969
. Hereinafter cited as NZ Cemetery Records.