Jane Gardner was born on 13 Feb 1849 at Patrick, Govan, Lanarkshire, Scotland .
She was the daughter of Alexander Gardner and Helen Provan.
Jane appeared on the 1851 Scottish Census of 30 Mar 1851 in the household of Alexander Gardner at Browns Square, Langloan, Lanarkshire, Scotland ;
GARDNER, Alexander, Head, Mar, 30, Carter, Barony Lanarkshire
GARDNER, Helen, Wife, Mar, 30, New Monkland Lanarkshire
GARDNER, Mary, Dau, 9, Scholar, Conderit Stirlingshire
GARDNER, Elizabeth,Dau,7, Scholar, Govan Renfrewshire
GARDNER, Helen, Dau, 4, Govan Renfrewshire
GARDNER, Jane, Dau, 2, Barony Lanarkshire.1
Jane Gardner was baptised on 7 May 1854 in Coatbridge Free Church, Coatbridge, Lanarkshire, Scotland ,
Parents: Alexander Gardner & Helen Provan
Born: 13 Feb 1849, Partick Govan
Bapt: 7 May 1854
All three Helen, Jane and Agnes Baptised same day.2,3
Jane Gardner was also known as Jean Gardner.
Jean appeared on the 1861 Scottish Census of 7 Apr 1861 in the household of Alexander Gardner at Dykehead, Old Monkland, Lanarkshire, Scotland ;
GARDNER, Alexander, Head, Mar, 40, Pit Bottomer, Glasgow, Barony
GARDNER, Ellen, Wife, Mar, 39, New Monkland
GARDNER, Jean, Dau, 12, Patrick
GARDNER, Agnes, Dau, 7, Old Monkland
GARDNER, Janet, Dau, 4, Old Monkland
GARDNER, Isabella, Dau, 2, Old Monkland
LAIRD, William, Boarder, Mar, 20, Coal Miner, Old Monkland.4
Jane appeared on the 1871 Scottish Census of 2 Apr 1871 at 1 Burnbank Place, Maryhill, Lanarkshire, Scotland ;
WARKEN Thomas, Head, 37, Suyar (Sic), Burnbank
McLean Christine, Dom Servant, 41
GARDNER Jane, Servant, 22, Domestic Servant, Partick Lanark
McLellan Joanna, Dom Servant, 21.5
Jane Gardner was also known as Jean Gardiner.
Jean witnessed the marriage of Peter Brown Gourlay and Elizabeth Gardiner on 26 Jun 1874 Blantyre, Lanarkshire, Scotland .2,6
Jane Gardner married Henry Robertson on 19 Aug 1878 at Auchinraith, Blantyre, Lanarkshire, Scotland ,
After Banns according to the Forms of the Established Church of Scotland
Journeyman Joiner (Bachelor) aged 23
Usual Res:Woodside Walk, Hamilton
Parents: Archibald Robertson, Journeyman Joiner & Jane Robertson MS Wilson
Domestic Servant, (Spinster) aged 26
Usual Res: Mount Pleasant, Bothwell
Parents: Alexander Gardiner, Pitheadman, & Helen Gardiner MS Provan
Agnes Gardiner & Andrew MacPherson were witnesses.
It is interesting to note that both Henry and Jane have lied about their actual age when married. Henry has increased his age, as actually born in 1856, meaning he was 22 and Jane who was born c 1849, was 29 when she married and not 26 as she states.2,7
As of 19 Aug 1878,her married name was Robertson.
After their marriage I have not been able to locate or id correctly details on Census, deaths, or children relating to Jane and Henry Robertson.
I suspect they may have immigrated, perhaps to Canada or even to Australia or NZ. More records and details need to be searched at this stage.
I have located via an Ancestry Tree, a record of a Henry Robert John Robertson who married a Maria Hinton in 1884, Newcastle NSW Australia.
There is also a record for a death of a Jane Robertson who died in 1882, no other details recorded on the index, apart from Father Unknown and had died at Sydney. No age listed.
At this stage I do not know if this is our Jane or not ?
Family: Jane Gardner and John Robert Henry Robertson
|Father||Alexander Gardner (27 Jul 1819 - 3 Jan 1881)|
|Mother||Helen Provan (c 1822 - 10 Jun 1904)|
- [S28] 1851 Scottish Census (www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk: New Register House Edinburgh, 30 March 1851), 1851 Langloan Old Monkland Lanark, ED 11 Page 12, Parish No 652 via Ancestry.co.uk. Hereinafter cited as 1851 Scottish Census.
- [S1] Certificate held on file, Held by Ailsa Corlett, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia. Hereinafter cited as Certificate held on file.
- [S32] GROS, Scottish OPR's (www.scotlandspeople.co.uk: pre 1855), 1854 Coatbridge Free Chruch Presbyterian Records, Lanark - CH3/491/1415. Hereinafter cited as Scottish OPR's.
- [S79] 1861 Scottish Census (www.scotlandspeople.co.uk: New Register House Edinburgh, 7 April 1861), 1861 Old Monkland Lanark, 652/01 011/01 014 & 015. Hereinafter cited as 1861 Scottish Census.
- [S76] 1871 Scottish Census (www.scotlandspeople.co.uk: New Register House Edinburgh, 2 April 1871), 1871 Maryhill Glasgow, ED 76, Page 1, Reg No 644/7 via Ancestry.co.uk. Hereinafter cited as 1871 Scottish Census.
- [S34] Scottish Civil Registration Indexes, From 1855 1874, Blantyre Lanark 624/00 0023, Brisbane LDS Centre.
- [S11] Scottish Record Office BDM Indexes, online www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk, 1878 Blantyre Lanark, 624/00 0036. Hereinafter cited as Scottish Record Office BDM Indexes.