Mary Gilchrist was born c 1858 at East Lothian, Scotland .
Mary Gilchrist married William Livingston, son of Janet Davidson, on 25 Jan 1878 at Ormiston Manse, Ormiston, East Lothian, Scotland ,
After Banns according to the Forms of the Church of Scotland
William Livingston, Ploughman, (Bachelor) aged 20, Ormiston
Parents: Thomas Livingston, Engine Driver, (dec) & Janet Livingston MS Davidson (dec)
Mary Gilchrist, Domestic Servant, (Spinster), 20yrs, West Ryde
Parents: John Gilchrist, Ploughman & Catherine Lockhart
Witnesses: John Gilchrist & Susan Livingston.1,2
As of 25 Jan 1878,her married name was Livingston.
Mary appeared on the 1881 Scottish Census of 3 Apr 1881 in the household of William Livingston at Farm Cottage, Inveresk, Midlothian, Scotland ;
LIVINGSTON William, Head, 23, Farm Servant, Pencaitland Haddington
LIVINGSTON Mary, Wife, 23, Trenant
LIVINGSTON Thomas, Son, 1, Inveresk
GILCRIST James, Brother - in- Law, 17, Shoemaker, Trenant.3
Mary appeared on the 1891 Scottish Census of 5 Apr 1891 in the household of William Livingston at E Cowden Cottages, Dalkeith, Midlothian, Scotland ;
LIVINGSTON William, Head, Mar, 33, Farm Servant, Pencaitland E Lothian
LIVINGSTON May, Wife, 33, Trenant
LIVINGSTON Thomas, Son, 11, Scholar, Inveresk
LIVINGSTON Janet, Dau, 9, Scholar, Inveresk Edin
LIVINGSTON John G, Son, 7, Scholar, Newton Edinb
LIVINGSTON Peter M, Son, 5, Scholar, Cockpen Edin
LIVINGSTON Cathrine L, Dau, 3, Newton Edin.4
Mary appeared on the 1901 Scottish Census of 31 Mar 1901 in the household of William Livingston at 1 Easter Cowden, Dalkeith, Midlothian, Scotland ;
LIVINGSTON William, Head, 43, Farm Grieve, Pencaitland Haddingston
LIVINGSTON Mary, Wife, 43, Trenent
LIVINGSTON John, Son, 17, Ploughman, Newton
LIVINGSTON Peter, Son, 15, Horseman Farm, Cockpen
LIVINGSTON Catherine, Dau, 13, Scholar, Newton
McLAREN Andrew, Boarder, 24, Shepherd.5
As of 1907,Mary Gilchrist was also known as Mary Livingstone.
Mary died on 24 Aug 1907 at 22 North High Street, Musselburgh, Midlothian, Scotland ,
Married to William Livingstone, Stableman
At 7AM aged 49 years
Parents: John Gilchrist, Farm & Servant (dec) & Catherine Lockhart (dec)
William Livingstone (X his mark), Widower was the informant of her death.1,6
Mary's cause of death on 24 Aug 1907 was from Chronic Bronchitis
Phthisis Pulmonatis (acute) 1 1/2 months.
Children of Mary Gilchrist and William Davidson
- [S1] Certificate held on file, Held by Ailsa Corlett, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia. Hereinafter cited as Certificate held on file.
- [S11] Scottish Record Office BDM Indexes, online www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk, 1878 Ormiston Haddington, East Lothian 715/00 0002. Hereinafter cited as Scottish Record Office BDM Indexes.
- [S15] 1881 Scottish Census (www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk: New Register House Edinburgh, 3 April 1881), 1881 Inveresk Midlothian, 689/ ED 10 Line 14. Hereinafter cited as 1881 Scottish Census.
- [S16] 1891 Scottish Census (www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk: New Register House Edinburgh, 5 April 1891), 1891 Dalkeith Midlothian, 683/ ED 10 Line 13. Hereinafter cited as 1891 Scottish Census.
- [S63] 1901 Scottish Census (www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk: New Register House Edinburgh, 31 March 1901), 1901 Dalkeith Midlothian, 683/ ED 10 Line 11. Hereinafter cited as 1901 Scottish Census.
- [S11] Scottish Record Office BDM Indexes, online www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk, 1907 Inveresk & Musselburgh, Midlothian, 689/00 0167.