Peter Brown Gourlay
Peter Brown Gourlay was born on 18 Nov 1831 at Dalziel, Lanarkshire, Scotland ,
Parents: James Gourlay & Susan Falconer.
Peter Brown Gourlay married Elizabeth Gilchrist on 12 Oct 1855 at Hamilton, Lanarkshire, Scotland ,
At Hamilton. Marriage (after Banns) was solmanised between us according to the Rites and Cerimonies of the R P Church of Scotland
Peter Brown Gourlay, Present and Usual Res: Quarter Parish of Hamilton, aged 23, Coal Miner, Bachelor
Born but not registered on the 18th Nov 1831 at Dalziel Parish.
Parents: James Gourley (dec) Gardener, and Susan Gourley MS Falconer.
Elizabeth Gilchrist, Present and Usual Res: Quarter Parsh of Hamilton, aged 25, Spinster
Born and Registered 2nd March 1830 at Hamilton Parish.
Parents: Wlliam Gilchrist, Coal Miner, and Eliz Gilchrist MS Geddes (dec)
Witnesses: Matthew Wilkes and William Scott.1,2
Peter appeared on the 1861 Scottish Census of 7 Apr 1861 at Larkhall, Lanarkshire, Scotland , also listed in the household was Elizabeth, James and William ;
GOURLEY Peter, 29, Head, Marr, Coal Miner, born Dalziel Lanarkshire
GOURLEY Elizabeth, 32, Wife, Hamilton Lanark
GOURLEY James, Son, 3, Larkhall
GOURLEY William, Son 2mth, Larkhall.3
Peter appeared on the 1871 Scottish Census of 2 Apr 1871 at 93 MacNeill St, Larkhall, Lanarkshire, Scotland , also listed in the household was Elizabeth, James, William, Elizabeth, Susan and Barbara ;
GOURLAY Peter, Head, 39, Mar, Coal Miner, Dalziel Lanark
GOURLAY Elizabeth, Wife, 43, Hamilton
GOURLAY James, Son, 13, Hamilton
GOURLAY William, Son, 10, Scholar, Dalserf
GOURLAY Elizabeth, Dau, 7, Scholar, Dalserf
GOURLAY Susan, Dau, 5, Scholar, Dalserf
GOURLAY Barbara, Dau, 2, Dalserf
GOURLAY John, Brother, 56, Ag Lab, Cambusenthan Lanark.4
Peter Brown Gourlay married Elizabeth Gardiner, daughter of Alexander Gardner and Helen Provan, on 26 Jun 1874 at Blantyre, Lanarkshire, Scotland ,
After Banns according to the Forms of the Free Church of Scotland.
Coal Miner, Widower, aged 42yrs. Usual Res Larkhall
Parents: James Gourley, Gardener (dec) & Susan Gourley MS Falconer (dec)
Elizabeth Gardiner (X her mark),
Cotton Factory Weaver, Spinster, aged 31yrs.
Usual Res Blantyre.
Parents: Alexander Gardiner, Labourer & Helen Gardiner MS Provan.
Witnesses: Francis Gilchrist and Jean Gardiner.1,5
Peter Brown Gourlay witnessed the birth of Nealy Provan Gourlay on 28 Jan 1881 12 Margaret Place, Larkhall, Lanarkshire, Scotland ,
Nealy Provan Gourlay
At 10.15 AM
Parents: Peter Brown Gourlay, Coal Miner & Elizabeth Gourlay MS Gardner
married: June 1873, Blantyre
Peter B Gourlay, Father was present at her birth.1,6
Peter appeared on the 1881 Scottish Census of 3 Apr 1881 at Larkhall, Lanarkshire, Lanarkshire, also listed in the household was Elizabeth, Barbara and Nelly ;
GOURLAY Peter B, Head, M, 49, m, Coalminer, Dalziel, Lanark
GOURLAY Elizabeth, Wife, M, 39, F, Partick, Lanark
GOURLAY Barbara, Dau, 12, F, Scholar, Larkhall, Lanark
GOURLAY Nelly, Dau, 3 months, F, Larkhall, Lanark.7
Peter's cause of death on 10 Mar 1887 was from Abcess on Brain 4 days.
Peter died on 10 Mar 1887 at Larkhall, Lanarkshire, Lanarkshire, at age 55 years, 3 months and 20 days
GOURLAY Peter, Labourer, married to Elizabeth Gardiner
At 0.45PM, aged 55 years.
Parents: James Gourlay, Railway Labourer and Susan Falconer.
Robert Douglas, neighbour was the informant.
No Death notice in the Glasgow Herald.1,8
Peter was buried in Mar 1887 at "Larkhall Cemetery", Larkhall, Lanarkshire, Scotland ,
ILMO her mother Elizabeth Gardiner d. 4.6.1907 aged 84yrs, her father Peter Gourlay d. 10.3.1887 aged 55yrs.
Also the above Archibald Burns d. 15.10.1953 aged 74yrs.
Also the above Nellie Gourlay d. 3.11.1968 aged 87yr.9
Archibald and Nellie Burns
photo courtsey www.scottish-monumental-inscriptions.com
Children of Peter Brown Gourlay and Elizabeth Gilchrist
- [S1] Certificate held on file, Held by Ailsa Corlett, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia. Hereinafter cited as Certificate held on file.
- [S11] Scottish Record Office BDM Indexes, online www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk, 1855, Hamilton Lanark 647/02 00241. Hereinafter cited as Scottish Record Office BDM Indexes.
- [S79] 1861 Scottish Census (www.scotlandspeople.co.uk: New Register House Edinburgh, 7 April 1861), via Ancestry.co.uk - 1861 Larkhall Dalserf Lanarkshire, ED 3 No 68 Line 8 page 14. Hereinafter cited as 1861 Scottish Census.
- [S76] 1871 Scottish Census (www.scotlandspeople.co.uk: New Register House Edinburgh, 2 April 1871), via Ancestry.co.uk - 1871 Dalserf, Ed 5 pg 22 Line 5, Reg 638/1. Hereinafter cited as 1871 Scottish Census.
- [S34] Scottish Civil Registration Indexes, From 1855 1874, Blantyre Lanark 624/00 0023, Brisbane LDS Centre.
- [S11] Scottish Record Office BDM Indexes, online www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk, 1881 Larkhall Lanark, 638/01 0032.
- [S15] 1881 Scottish Census (www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk: New Register House Edinburgh, 3 April 1881), FHL Film 0203625 GRO Ref Vol 638-1 EnumDist 6 Page 43, Larkhall, Dalserf, Lanark. Hereinafter cited as 1881 Scottish Census.
- [S11] Scottish Record Office BDM Indexes, online www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk, 1887 Larkhall Lanark, 638/01 0029.
- [S188] Helen Grant, Scottish Monumental Inscriptions., CD-ROM (Fife Scotland: www.scottish-monumental-inscriptions.com), Cemetery Headstones, Larkhall Cemetery CD1 - image No 954. Hereinafter cited as Scottish Monumental Inscriptions.