Thomas Brown was born on 4 Jun 1858 at Dalserf, Lanarkshire, Scotland ,
Parents: John Brown & Isabella Cartwright.1
Thomas Brown married Janet Gardner, daughter of Alexander Gardner and Helen Provan, on 26 Mar 1878 at Auchenworth, Lanarkshire, Scotland ,
After Banns according to the Forms of the Free Church of Scotland
Thomas Brown, Restaurant Waiter (Bachelor) aged 20, Res Front Row, Blantryre
Parents: John Brown, Foundry Labourer and Isabella Brown MS Cartwright (dec)
Janet Gardiner, Cotton Factory Weaver (Spinster) aged 20, res Auchenworth, Blantyre
Parents: Alexander Gardiner, Pitheadman and Helen Gardiner MS Provan
Witnesess: James Gourly and Agnes Gardiner.2,3
Thomas appeared on the 1881 Scottish Census of 3 Apr 1881 at 12 Canning Street, Barony, Lanarkshire, Scotland , also listed in the household was Janet ;
BROWN Thomas, Head, 22, Pastry Baker, Larkhall, Lanark
BROWN Mrs, Wife, 23, Shop Keeper, Drikehead, Lanark (Dykehead)
WALKER Maggie, Servant, 19, Condorat, Stirlingshire.4
Thomas appeared on the 1891 Scottish Census of 5 Apr 1891 at Overseas also listed in the household was Janet ;
Cannot locate Thomas and Janet on any English, Scottish etc Census for 1891.
Did they also travel overseas and then come back ??
Thomas appeared on the 1901 Scottish Census of 31 Mar 1901 at 85 Albert Road, Cathcart, Lanarkshire, Scotland , also listed in the household was Janet and Agnes ;
BROWN Thomas, Head, 42, Wine Merchant, Larkhall Lanark
BROWN Janet, Wife, 43, Dykeshead, Lanark
MCFARLANE Agnes B, Niece, 16, Glasgow Lanark
RARITY Bella, Servant, 24, Glasford, Lanark.5
Thomas Brown recorded Helen Gardner's death on 10 Jun 1904 12 Monkland Place, Larkhall, Lanarkshire, Scotland ,
At 4.10pm aged 82yrs.
Widow of Alexander Gardner, Boatman
Parents: Andrew Provan, Ploughman (dec) and Mary Provan MS Grinley (dec)
Thomas Brown, Son-in-Law, Hope Villa, Albert Road, Crosshill, Glasgow was the informant.
No notice in the Glasgow Herald.2,6
Thomas appeared on the 1911 Scottish Census of 2 Apr 1911 at 17 Sherbrooke Avenue, Pollokshields, Lanarkshire, Scotland , also listed in the household was Janet and Agnes ;
BROWN Thomas, Head, 52, Mar, Wine & Spirit Merchant, Employer, Dalserf Lanark - Rooms with one or more windows - 13
BROWN Janet, Wife, 54, Mar, No children born or died, Old Monkland Lanark
BROWN Agnes, Niece, 26, Single, Glasgow, Lanark
(is recorded under Brown rather than her surname of McFarlane)
REID Bella, Servant, 19, Single, Domestic Servant, Dalserf
REID Janet, Servant, 18, Single, Domestic Servant, Dalserf.7
Thomas died b 1937 at Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Scotland .
Family: Thomas Brown and Janet Gardiner
- [S33] Birth Marriage and Burial Entries, International Genealogical Index & Family Search Web Site (IGI) : Family Search Web site, From 2000), "Scotland, Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950," index, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FQPZ-6YC : accessed 06 Oct 2013), Thomas Brown, 04 Jun 1858.
Film No 6035516.
- [S1] Certificate held on file, Held by Ailsa Corlett, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia. Hereinafter cited as Certificate held on file.
- [S11] Scottish Record Office BDM Indexes, online www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk, Blantyre Lanark, 624/00 0018. Hereinafter cited as Scottish Record Office BDM Indexes.
- [S15] 1881 Scottish Census (www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk: New Register House Edinburgh, 3 April 1881), 1881 Baroney Glasgow Lanark, ED 44, Pg 8, Reg 644/4 via Ancestry.co.uk Oct 2013. Hereinafter cited as 1881 Scottish Census.
- [S63] 1901 Scottish Census (www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk: New Register House Edinburgh, 31 March 1901), 1901 Cathcart Lanarkshire, ED 5 Page 5, Reg No 560B via Ancestry.co.uk, Oct 2013. Hereinafter cited as 1901 Scottish Census.
- [S11] Scottish Record Office BDM Indexes, online www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk, 1904 Larkhall Lanark, 638/01 0082.
- [S136] GRO Scotland, 1911 Scottish Census (www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk: New Register House Edinburgh, 2 April 1911), 1911 Pollokshields, Govan, Lanark, 644/18 025/00 007. Hereinafter cited as 1911 Scottish Census.