Mary Ann Gracey
Mary Ann Gracey was born c 1842 at Ireland.
She was the daughter of William Gracey and Mary Willis.
Mary Ann Gracey married Robert Laird, son of Charles Laird and Jean Hutchison, on 23 Nov 1860 at Beachead, Kilmarnock, Ayrshire, Scotland ,
after Banns were issued between us according to the forms of the Free Church of Scotland.
Robert Laird (x his mark) (Robert Gracey & Thomas Falconer (sic) - witneses),
Aged 23, Coal Miner, Bachelor
Usual Res: Dryton (sic) parish of Lanark Dreghorn
Parents: Charles Laird, Coal Miner, (dec) & Jane Hutchesion
Mary Ann Gracey (x her mark) (Robert Gracey & Thomas Falconer - witnesses)
Aged 18, Servant, Spinster
Usual Res: Strand Street, Kilmarnock.
Parents: William Gracey, Labourer & Mary Willis
Witnesses: Robert Gracey & Thomas Falconer.1,2
As of 23 Nov 1860,her married name was Laird.
Mary appeared on the 1861 Scottish Census of 7 Apr 1861 in the household of William Gracey at 44 Strand Street, Kilmarnock, Ayrshire, Scotland ;
GRACEY William, Head, 48, Plasters Labourer, Ireland
GRACEY Mary, Wife, 46, Ireland
GRACEY John, Son, 15, Ireland
GRACEY William, Son, 12, Scholar, Ireland
GRACEY Mary A, Dau, 19, Ireland
LAIRD Robert, Son in Law, 23, Coal Miner, Glasgow Lanarkshire.3
Mary appeared on the 1871 Scottish Census of 2 Apr 1871 in the household of Robert Laird at Fullarton Street, Dundonald, Ayrshire, Scotland ;
LAIRD Robert, Head, 34, Coal Miner, Ruthington Lanark
LAIRD Mary, Wife, 30, Miners Wife, Ireland
LAIRD Robert, Son, 8, Scholar, Kilmarnock Ayr
LAIRD Jane, Dau, 6, Old Monkland Lanark
LAIRD Helen, Dau, 4, Old Monkland Lanark
LAIRD Mary, Dau, 2, Dundonald Ayr.4
Mary appeared on the 1881 Census of 3 Apr 1881 at 39 Fullarton Street (East Side), Dundonald, Ayrshire, Scotland , also listed in the household was Robert and Charles ;
LAIRD Mary, Head, 37, House Keeper, Ireland
LAIRD Robert, Son, 17, General Labourer, Kilmarnock Ayr
LAIRD Charles, Son, 9, Irvine Ayr.5
Mary Ann Laird married James Buchanan on 24 Aug 1883 at The Cottage Dalmuir, Old Kilpatrick, Dunbartonshire, Scotland ,
After Banns according to the Forms of the United Presbyterian Church.
Aged 47, Saw-Miller (Foreman), Bachelor
Usual Res: Fullarton, Irvine
Parents: James Buchanan, Working Engineer (dec) & Helen Swan (dec)
Mary G Laird,
Aged 40, Widow
Usual Res: Fullarton Irvine
Parents: William Gracie, Plasterer (dec) & Mary Wright
Witnesses: Hugh Gordon & Kate Crawford.1,6
As of 24 Aug 1883,her married name was Buchanan.
Mary appeared on the 1891 English Census of 5 Apr 1891 in the household of James Buchanan at 43 James Watt Terrace, Barrow in Furness, Lancashire, England;
BUCHANAN James, Head, 54, Timber Clerk, Scotland
BUCHANAN Mary, Wife, 47, Scotland
LAIRD Robert, Son, 28, Army Reserve Man, Scotland
LAIRD Charles, Son, 19, Ship Plater, Scotland
MILLIGAN Peter, Boarder, 35, Engine Fitter
GREIG Charles, Boarder, 25, Marine Engineer, Scotland
CLARK John, Boarder, 38, Engine Fitter, Scotland
ROBERTSON Charles, Boarder, 26, Engine Fitter, Scotland.7
Mary appeared on the 1901 English Census of 31 Mar 1901 in the household of James Buchanan at 11 Abercorn Street, Barrow in Furness, Lancashire, England;
BUCHANAN James, Head, 64, Time Keeper (ship yard) Scotland
BUCHANAN Mary, Wife, 60, Scotland
McKINN Robert, Boarder, 25, Labourer General, Scotland
MURDOCK William, Boarder, 29, Engineer, Scotland.8
Mary died in 1906 at Barrow in Furness, Lancashire, England,
Mary A Buchanan
Children of Mary Ann Gracey and Robert Laird
Family: Mary Ann Gracey and James Buchanan
|Father||William Gracey (c 1813 - )|
|Mother||Mary Willis (c 1815 - )|
- [S1] Certificate held on file, Held by Ailsa Corlett, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia. Hereinafter cited as Certificate held on file.
- [S11] Scottish Record Office BDM Indexes, online www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk, 1860 Kilmarnock Ayr, 597/00 0197. Hereinafter cited as Scottish Record Office BDM Indexes.
- [S79] 1861 Scottish Census (www.scotlandspeople.co.uk: New Register House Edinburgh, 7 April 1861), 1861 Kimarnock Ayr, Ed 10 Pg 28, Reg 597, - via Ancestry.co.uk. Hereinafter cited as 1861 Scottish Census.
- [S76] 1871 Scottish Census (www.scotlandspeople.co.uk: New Register House Edinburgh, 2 April 1871), 1871 Dundonald Ayr, Ed 9 Pg 23 Reg 595 - via Ancestry.co.uk. Hereinafter cited as 1871 Scottish Census.
- [S15] 1881 Scottish Census (www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk: New Register House Edinburgh, 3 April 1881), 1881 Dundonald Ayr, Ed 7 Pg 38 Reg 595 - via Ancestry.co.uk. Hereinafter cited as 1881 Scottish Census.
- [S11] Scottish Record Office BDM Indexes, online www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk, 1883 Old Kilpatrick Dunbarton, 501/00 0030.
- [S74] 1891 English Census (www.ancestry.co.uk: PRO England, 5 April 1891), 1891 Barrow in Furness Lancashire, RG12/ 3486 Folio 136 Pg 53. Hereinafter cited as 1891 English Census.
- [S65] 1901 English Census (www.ancestry.co.uk: PRO England, 31 March 1901), 1901 Barrow in Furness Lanccashire RG 13/4016 Folio 37 Pg 13. Hereinafter cited as 1901 English Census.
- [S78] BDM Indexes online: England Civil Registration online, findmypast.co.uk . Online www.findmypast.com/ www.ancestry.co.uk;, 1906 March Qtr, Barrow in Furness Lancashire, 8E 581.