Margaret Campbell was born on 13 Mar 1838 at New Monkland, Lanarkshire, Scotland .
She was the daughter of Alexander Campbell and Christina Smith.
Margaret Campbell was baptised on 3 Jun 1838 in New Monkland, Lanarkshire, Lanarkshire,
L (lawful) Daug of Alex Campbell, Miner Ra(?) and Christian Smith was born 13th March & Baptised 3 June 1838.1,2,3
Margaret Campbell married David Laird, son of Charles Laird and Jean Hutchison, on 29 Feb 1856 at The Manse, New Kilpatrick, Dunbartonshire, Scotland ,
After Banns was solemized between us, according to the forms of the Established Church of Scotland
Aged 19, Coalminer (Bachelor)
Usual Res: Row Hetheston Colliery, Parish of New Kilpatirck, Dumbartonshire
Parents: Charles Laird, Coalminer (dec) & Jean Laird MS Hutchison
Margaret Campbell, X her mark (Alex Williamson and John Scullion, Witnesses)
Aged 21, Paperblock Hand, (Spinster)
Usual Res: Row Hetheston Colliery, Parish of New Kilpatrick, Dumbartonshire
Parents: Alexander Campbell, Coalminer and Christian Campbell MS Smith (dec)
Witnesses: Alex Williamson and John Scullion.1,4
As of 29 Feb 1856,her married name was Laird.
Margaret appeared on the 1861 Scottish Census of 7 Apr 1861 in the household of David Laird at Overton Hamlet, Dreghorn, Ayrshire, Scotland ;
LAIRD David, Head, M, 25, Coal Miner, Monkland Lanark, One window
LAIRD Margaret, Wife, M, 24, Hamilton Lanark
LAIRD Charles, Son, 4, Hamilton
LAIRD Alexander, Son, 1, Glasgow
DUNLOP Helen, Boarder, UM, 25, Hand Weaver, Kilying Ayr
LNDSAY Mary Boarder, 5, Kilying Ayr
GLACHDY Boarder, 6mth, Irvine Ayr
LAIRD Charles, Boarder, UM, 17, Coal Miner, Lanarkshire.5
Margaret appeared on the 1871 Scottish Census of 2 Apr 1871 in the household of David Laird at Schoolwell St, Stevenston, Ayrshire, Scotland ;
LAIRD David, Head, Mar, 43 (sic), Coalminer, Old Monkland Lanark
LAIRD Margaret, Wife, Mar, 31, Coalminer Wfe, Old Monkland
LAIRD Charles, Son, 14, Draw Boy Pit, Glasgow Lanark
LAIRD Alexander, Son, 12, Draw Boy Pit, Glasgow Lanark
LAIRD Agnes, Daur, 10, Maryhill, Lanark
LAIRD Jeanie, Daur, 7, Stevenston Ayrshire
LAIRD David, Son, 3, Stevenston Ayrshire.6
Margaret died on 28 Feb 1878 at Ayr Road, Dalserf, Lanarkshire, Scotland , at age 39 years, 11 months and 15 days
At 6PM aged 47yrs
(married to David Laird, Coalminer)
Parents: Alexander Campbell, Coalminer (dec) & Christina Campbell MS Smith (dec)
Jane Laird her X mark, Daughter was the informant.1,7
Margaret's cause of death on 28 Feb 1878 was from Heart Disease
Passive Congestion of Lungs.
Children of Margaret Campbell and David Laird
|Father||Alexander Campbell (c 1800 - )|
|Mother||Christina Smith (17 May 1818 - b 1841)|
- [S1] Certificate held on file, Held by Ailsa Corlett, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia. Hereinafter cited as Certificate held on file.
- [S11] Scottish Record Office BDM Indexes, online www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk, 1838 Airdrie or New Mondland Lanark, 651/00 0060 0254. Hereinafter cited as Scottish Record Office BDM Indexes.
- [S33] Birth Marriage and Burial Entries, International Genealogical Index & Family Search Web Site (IGI) : Family Search Web site, From 2000), 1838 New Monkland, Lanark - Scotland Births and Baptisms, 1564 - 1950 - C11651-5.
- [S11] Scottish Record Office BDM Indexes, online www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk, 1856 New or East Kilpatrick Dumbarton, 500/00 0004, Margaret is recorded as Elizabeth Campbell on index.
- [S79] 1861 Scottish Census (www.scotlandspeople.co.uk: New Register House Edinburgh, 7 April 1861), 1861 Dreghorn Ayrshire, ED5 Line 5, pg 31, Reg No 589. Hereinafter cited as 1861 Scottish Census.
- [S76] 1871 Scottish Census (www.scotlandspeople.co.uk: New Register House Edinburgh, 2 April 1871), 1871 Stevenston Ayrshire, ED 2, Line 21, Pg 34, Reg No 615 - two pages.. Hereinafter cited as 1871 Scottish Census.
- [S11] Scottish Record Office BDM Indexes, online www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk, 1878 Dalserf Larkhall Lanark, 638/02 0010.