Charles Laird was born c 1813 at Scotland
A good possible is Charles Laird born 14th June 1810, baptised 18th June 1810 to parents David Laird and Alison Simpson, at Falkirk, Stirling.1,2
Charles Laird married Jean Hutchison, daughter of Robert Hutchison and Janet Neilson, on 14 Jul 1834 at Gorbals, Lanarkshire, Scotland ,
Charles Laird and Jean Hutchison both at Govan Collery, married by the Revd Mr Turner 14th July 1834.1,3,4
Charles appeared on the 1841 Scottish Census of 6 Jun 1841, at Wilson's Land, Old Dalmarnock Road, Bridgeton, Lanarkshire, Scotland , also listed in the household was Jean, David, Robert and William ;
LAIRD Charles, 25, Coal Miner, No
LAIRD Jane, 20, Yes
LAIRD David, 5, Yes
LAIRD Robert, 3, Yes
LAIRD William, 1, Yes
SNEDDON William, 60, L.P. No
SNEDDON Sarah, 10, Cotton PLW, Yes.5
Charles appeared on the 1851 Scottish Census of 30 Mar 1851 at Patterson's Row, Govan, Lanarkshire, Scotland , also listed in the household was Jean, David, Robert, William, Jane, Charles, Eleanor and Thomas ;
LAIRD, Charles, Head, Married, 38, Coalminer, born (Unknown) - very difficult to read could be Stirling ??
LAIRD, Jane, Wife, M, 35, Govan, Lanark
LAIRD, David, Son, U, 15, Trapdoor Keeper, Old Monkland, Lanark
LAIRD, Robert, Son, U, 13, Drawer in a coalpit, Old Monkland, Lanark
LAIRD, William, Son, 10, Drawer in a coalpit, Old Monkland, Lanark
LAIRD, Jane, Dau, 8, Scholar, Barony of Glasgow, Lanark
LAIRD, Charles, Son, 6, Scholar, Barony of Glasgow, Lanark
LAIRD, Eleanor, Dau, 4, Govan, Lanark
LAIRD, Thomas, Son, 1, Govan, Lanark.6
Charles died bt 1853 - 1855 at Govan, Lanarkshire, Scotland ,
Would have died between 1852 and 1854 as deceased by 1856 on son David's marriage certificate, and none of the Charles Laird's from 1855 - 1861. May not locate the date as not showing on burial registers for Lanark between 1850 - 1854.
Children of Charles Laird and Jean Hutchison
- [S1] Certificate held on file, Held by Ailsa Corlett, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia. Hereinafter cited as Certificate held on file.
- [S32] GROS, Scottish OPR's (www.scotlandspeople.co.uk: pre 1855), 1810 Falkirk Stirling, 479/0050 0440. Hereinafter cited as Scottish OPR's.
- [S32] Scottish OPR's (published) 834 Gorbals Lanark, 644/002 0070 0125.
- [S7] Scottish OPR Indexes: Ref No 644.2/7 Gorbals FR 1243, (pre 1855), Genealogical Society of Qld, Woolloongabba, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia. Hereinafter cited as OPR Indexes.
- [S82] 1841 Scottish Census (www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk: New Register House Edinburgh, 6 June 1841), 1841 Barony Glasgow Lanark, 622/00 096/00 025. Hereinafter cited as 1841 Scottish Census.
- [S28] 1851 Scottish Census (www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk: New Register House Edinburgh, 30 March 1851), 1851 Gorbals Film No 166, 627B Govan/Strathbungo - 1851 Govan Lanark 644/02 137/02 005. Hereinafter cited as 1851 Scottish Census.