Charles Laird was born on 5 Apr 1857 at Shettleston, Lanarkshire, Scotland .1
He was the son of David Laird and Margaret Campbell.
Charles appeared on the 1861 Scottish Census of 7 Apr 1861 in the household of David Laird at Overton Hamlet, Dreghorn, Ayrshire, Scotland ;
LAIRD David, Head, M, 25, Coal Miner, Monkland Lanark, One window
LAIRD Margaret, Wife, M, 24, Hamilton Lanark
LAIRD Charles, Son, 4, Hamilton
LAIRD Alexander, Son, 1, Glasgow
DUNLOP Helen, Boarder, UM, 25, Hand Weaver, Kilying Ayr
LNDSAY Mary Boarder, 5, Kilying Ayr
GLACHDY Boarder, 6mth, Irvine Ayr
LAIRD Charles, Boarder, UM, 17, Coal Miner, Lanarkshire.2
Charles appeared on the 1871 Scottish Census of 2 Apr 1871 in the household of David Laird at Schoolwell St, Stevenston, Ayrshire, Scotland ;
LAIRD David, Head, Mar, 43 (sic), Coalminer, Old Monkland Lanark
LAIRD Margaret, Wife, Mar, 31, Coalminer Wfe, Old Monkland
LAIRD Charles, Son, 14, Draw Boy Pit, Glasgow Lanark
LAIRD Alexander, Son, 12, Draw Boy Pit, Glasgow Lanark
LAIRD Agnes, Daur, 10, Maryhill, Lanark
LAIRD Jeanie, Daur, 7, Stevenston Ayrshire
LAIRD David, Son, 3, Stevenston Ayrshire.3
Charles Laird recorded David Laird's death on 8 Aug 1878 Millheugh Bridge over River Avon, Larkhall, Lanarkshire, Scotland ,
Widower of Margaret Campbell,
aged 52yrs (sic)
Parents: Charles Laird, Tailor,& Jane Laird MS Hutchison
Charles Laird, Son, X his mark, Stevenston, registered the death.
Charles Laird married Mary Knox on 20 Jun 1879 at Mayville Toll, High Road, Stevenston, Ayrshire, Scotland ,
After publication according to the Forms of the Church of Scotland.
Coal Miner, (Bachelor) aged 22
Usual Res: 42 Ardeer Square, Stevenston
Parents: David Laird, coal miner (dec) & Margaret Laird MS Campbell (dec)
Mary Knox (her X Mark),
Farmers daughter, (Spinster)
(Witnesses: Wm Ainsworth & Mary White), aged 21
Usual Res: Mayville Toll, Stevenston
Parents: James Knox, Farmer (dec) & Helen Bradley formerly Knox, MS Judge
Witnesses: John Deans & David Bradley.4,6
Charles appeared on the 1881 Scottish Census of 3 Apr 1881 at Ashgill Rows, Dalserf, Lanarkshire, Scotland , also listed in the household was Mary and Margaret ;
LAIRD Charles, Head, 28, Coal Miner, Old Monkland Lanark
LAIRD Mary, Wife, 22, Ireland
LAIRD Margaret, Dau, 1, Stevenston Ayr
BRADLEY Ellen, Mother in Law, 50, Outdoor Worker, Ireland.7
Charles Laird recorded Margaret Laird's death on 5 Mar 1884 Paisley Street, Ardrossan, Ayrshire, Scotland ,
at 8 PM aged 4 years.
Parents: Charles Laird, Agricultural Labourer & Mary Laird MS Knox
Charles Laird, Father was the informant of her death.4,8
Charles Laird witnessed the death of John Laird on 29 Jan 1892 82 Raise Street, Saltcoats, Ayrshire, Scotland ,
At 7.30PM aged 9 Years
Parents: Charles Laird, Coal Miner & Mary Laird MS Knox
Charles Laird, Father was present when he passed away.4,9
Charles died c 1905 at Ardrossan, Ayrshire, Scotland ,
Not able to locate on any Scottish indexes. According to Mary's details on the Census, she was not listed as a widow until 1911 and she states married for 26yrs, making it around 1905 that he died. Mary was still living in Ayr around that time.
Charles does not appear on the 1891 or 1901 Census anywhere.
Later on Death certificates etc, Charles is recorded as being a Stoker on a Steamship. So did Charles die while away at Sea ?
Children of Charles Laird and Mary Knox
|Father||David Laird (c 1836 - 8 Aug 1878)|
|Mother||Margaret Campbell (13 Mar 1838 - 28 Feb 1878)|
- [S33] Birth Marriage and Burial Entries, International Genealogical Index & Family Search Web Site (IGI) : Family Search Web site, From 2000), "Scotland Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950," database, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:VQQC-JQB : 8 December 2014), Charles Laird, 05 Apr 1857; citing SHETTLESTON,LANARK,SCOTLAND, reference ; FHL microfilm 6,035,516.
- [S79] 1861 Scottish Census (www.scotlandspeople.co.uk: New Register House Edinburgh, 7 April 1861), 1861 Dreghorn Ayrshire, ED5 Line 5, pg 31, Reg No 589. Hereinafter cited as 1861 Scottish Census.
- [S76] 1871 Scottish Census (www.scotlandspeople.co.uk: New Register House Edinburgh, 2 April 1871), 1871 Stevenston Ayrshire, ED 2, Line 21, Pg 34, Reg No 615 - two pages.. Hereinafter cited as 1871 Scottish Census.
- [S1] Certificate held on file, Held by Ailsa Corlett, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia. Hereinafter cited as Certificate held on file.
- [S11] Scottish Record Office BDM Indexes, online www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk, 1878 Larkhall Lanark, 638/01 0084. Hereinafter cited as Scottish Record Office BDM Indexes.
- [S11] Scottish Record Office BDM Indexes, online www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk, 1879 Stevenston Ayr, 615/00 0010.
- [S15] 1881 Scottish Census (www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk: New Register House Edinburgh, 3 April 1881), 1881 via Ancestry.co.uk - Dalserf Lanarkshire, ED 2 Pg 56, Line 12, Reg 638/2. Hereinafter cited as 1881 Scottish Census.
- [S11] Scottish Record Office BDM Indexes, online www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk, 1884 New Ardrossan, Ayr, 576/02 0008.
- [S11] Scottish Record Office BDM Indexes, online www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk, 1892 Old Ardrossan, Ayr, 576/01 0008.