David Laird was born c 1836 at Old Monkland, Lanarkshire, Scotland ,
No entry regarding the baptism's/ births of the children of Charles Laird and Jean Hutchison have been located at this stage of research. Oct 2014.
He was the son of Charles Laird and Jean Hutchison.
David appeared on the 1841 Scottish Census of 6 Jun 1841 in the household of Charles Laird at Wilson's Land, Old Dalmarnock Road, Bridgeton, Lanarkshire, Scotland ;
LAIRD Charles, 25, Coal Miner, No
LAIRD Jane, 20, Yes
LAIRD David, 5, Yes
LAIRD Robert, 3, Yes
LAIRD William, 1, Yes
SNEDDON William, 60, L.P. No
SNEDDON Sarah, 10, Cotton PLW, Yes.1
David appeared on the 1851 Scottish Census of 30 Mar 1851 in the household of Charles Laird at Patterson's Row, Govan, Lanarkshire, Scotland ;
LAIRD, Charles, Head, Married, 38, Coalminer, born (Unknown) - very difficult to read could be Stirling ??
LAIRD, Jane, Wife, M, 35, Govan, Lanark
LAIRD, David, Son, U, 15, Trapdoor Keeper, Old Monkland, Lanark
LAIRD, Robert, Son, U, 13, Drawer in a coalpit, Old Monkland, Lanark
LAIRD, William, Son, 10, Drawer in a coalpit, Old Monkland, Lanark
LAIRD, Jane, Dau, 8, Scholar, Barony of Glasgow, Lanark
LAIRD, Charles, Son, 6, Scholar, Barony of Glasgow, Lanark
LAIRD, Eleanor, Dau, 4, Govan, Lanark
LAIRD, Thomas, Son, 1, Govan, Lanark.2
David Laird married Margaret Campbell, daughter of Alexander Campbell and Christina Smith, on 29 Feb 1856 at The Manse, New Kilpatrick, Dunbartonshire, Scotland ,
After Banns was solemized between us, according to the forms of the Established Church of Scotland
Aged 19, Coalminer (Bachelor)
Usual Res: Row Hetheston Colliery, Parish of New Kilpatirck, Dumbartonshire
Parents: Charles Laird, Coalminer (dec) & Jean Laird MS Hutchison
Margaret Campbell, X her mark (Alex Williamson and John Scullion, Witnesses)
Aged 21, Paperblock Hand, (Spinster)
Usual Res: Row Hetheston Colliery, Parish of New Kilpatrick, Dumbartonshire
Parents: Alexander Campbell, Coalminer and Christian Campbell MS Smith (dec)
Witnesses: Alex Williamson and John Scullion.3,4
David witnessed the marriage of James Park and Jean Hutchison on 1 Mar 1861 Overton, Ayrshire, Scotland .3,5
David appeared on the 1861 Scottish Census of 7 Apr 1861 at Overton Hamlet, Dreghorn, Ayrshire, Scotland , also listed in the household was Margaret, Charles, Alexander and Charles ;
LAIRD David, Head, M, 25, Coal Miner, Monkland Lanark, One window
LAIRD Margaret, Wife, M, 24, Hamilton Lanark
LAIRD Charles, Son, 4, Hamilton
LAIRD Alexander, Son, 1, Glasgow
DUNLOP Helen, Boarder, UM, 25, Hand Weaver, Kilying Ayr
LNDSAY Mary Boarder, 5, Kilying Ayr
GLACHDY Boarder, 6mth, Irvine Ayr
LAIRD Charles, Boarder, UM, 17, Coal Miner, Lanarkshire.6
David appeared on the 1871 Scottish Census of 2 Apr 1871 at Schoolwell St, Stevenston, Ayrshire, Scotland , also listed in the household was Margaret, Charles, Alexander, Agnes, Jean and David ;
LAIRD David, Head, Mar, 43 (sic), Coalminer, Old Monkland Lanark
LAIRD Margaret, Wife, Mar, 31, Coalminer Wfe, Old Monkland
LAIRD Charles, Son, 14, Draw Boy Pit, Glasgow Lanark
LAIRD Alexander, Son, 12, Draw Boy Pit, Glasgow Lanark
LAIRD Agnes, Daur, 10, Maryhill, Lanark
LAIRD Jeanie, Daur, 7, Stevenston Ayrshire
LAIRD David, Son, 3, Stevenston Ayrshire.7
David Laird recorded Thomas Laird's death on 15 Oct 1874 25 Statin Square, Stevenston, Ayrshire, Scotland ,
at 10AM aged 2yrs 11mths
Parents: David Laird, Coal Miner & Maragaret Laird MS Campbell
David Laird, father was the informant of his death.3,8
David died on 8 Aug 1878 at Millheugh Bridge over River Avon, Larkhall, Lanarkshire, Scotland ,
Widower of Margaret Campbell,
aged 52yrs (sic)
Parents: Charles Laird, Tailor,& Jane Laird MS Hutchison
Charles Laird, Son, X his mark, Stevenston, registered the death.
David's cause of death on 8 Aug 1878 was from Drowning
RCE - Larkhall Lanark
David Laird, 52 yrs, Male
When & Where died on the 7th or 8th August 1878 in the River Avon at Millheugh Bridge.
Cause of Death - Drowning
Procurator Fisculs Office
Hamilton 21 August 1878
James Anderson Register 27th August 1878
27/5/79 N E.
9 Aug 1878 David Laird was mentioned in the "Glasgow Herald", Scotland , newspaper
The body of a hawker named David Laird, 52 years of age, was found yesterday in the Avon, near the bridge at Millheugh. The unfortunate man had been much the worse of drink on the night previous, and it is supposed that he had lost his way and fallen into the water, and being a cripple, was unable to extricate himself from his perious position.
The Scotsman: also mentioned that he resided at Plotcock, Hamilton.10
Children of David Laird and Margaret Campbell
|Father||Charles Laird (c 1813 - bt 1853 - 1855)|
|Mother||Jean Hutchison (23 Apr 1815 - 20 Apr 1862)|
- [S82] 1841 Scottish Census (www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk: New Register House Edinburgh, 6 June 1841), 1841 Barony Glasgow Lanark, 622/00 096/00 025. Hereinafter cited as 1841 Scottish Census.
- [S28] 1851 Scottish Census (www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk: New Register House Edinburgh, 30 March 1851), 1851 Gorbals Film No 166, 627B Govan/Strathbungo - 1851 Govan Lanark 644/02 137/02 005. Hereinafter cited as 1851 Scottish Census.
- [S1] Certificate held on file, Held by Ailsa Corlett, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia. Hereinafter cited as Certificate held on file.
- [S11] Scottish Record Office BDM Indexes, online www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk, 1856 New or East Kilpatrick Dumbarton, 500/00 0004, Margaret is recorded as Elizabeth Campbell on index. Hereinafter cited as Scottish Record Office BDM Indexes.
- [S32] GROS, Scottish OPR's (www.scotlandspeople.co.uk: pre 1855), 1861 Dreghorn Ayr, 589/00 0004. Hereinafter cited as Scottish OPR's.
- [S79] 1861 Scottish Census (www.scotlandspeople.co.uk: New Register House Edinburgh, 7 April 1861), 1861 Dreghorn Ayrshire, ED5 Line 5, pg 31, Reg No 589. Hereinafter cited as 1861 Scottish Census.
- [S76] 1871 Scottish Census (www.scotlandspeople.co.uk: New Register House Edinburgh, 2 April 1871), 1871 Stevenston Ayrshire, ED 2, Line 21, Pg 34, Reg No 615 - two pages.. Hereinafter cited as 1871 Scottish Census.
- [S11] Scottish Record Office BDM Indexes, online www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk, 1874 Stevenston Ayr, 615/00 0093.
- [S11] Scottish Record Office BDM Indexes, online www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk, 1878 Larkhall Lanark, 638/01 0084.
- [S10] Newspaper, Various Papers, Via Findmypast.co.uk - 9 Aug 1878 - Glasgow Herald - Drowning Accidents.. Hereinafter cited as Newspaper Article.