Jean Laird was born on 15 Oct 1865 at Stevenston, Ayrshire, Scotland .1
She was the daughter of David Laird and Margaret Campbell.
Jean Laird was baptised on 12 Aug 1866 in St Marys, Saltcoats, Ayrshire, Scotland ,
Jean (Prot), Lawful, born Oct 15th 1865, Bapt 12th Aug 1866
Parents: David Laird & Margaret Campbell
Sponser: Elizabeth McGuckean
Priest: William Hallinam.2,3
Jean appeared on the 1871 Scottish Census of 2 Apr 1871 in the household of David Laird at Schoolwell St, Stevenston, Ayrshire, Scotland ;
LAIRD David, Head, Mar, 43 (sic), Coalminer, Old Monkland Lanark
LAIRD Margaret, Wife, Mar, 31, Coalminer Wfe, Old Monkland
LAIRD Charles, Son, 14, Draw Boy Pit, Glasgow Lanark
LAIRD Alexander, Son, 12, Draw Boy Pit, Glasgow Lanark
LAIRD Agnes, Daur, 10, Maryhill, Lanark
LAIRD Jeanie, Daur, 7, Stevenston Ayrshire
LAIRD David, Son, 3, Stevenston Ayrshire.4
As of c 1875,Jean Laird was also known as Jane Laird.
Jane Laird recorded Margaret Laird's death on 28 Feb 1878 Ayr Road, Dalserf, Lanarkshire, Scotland ,
At 6PM aged 47yrs
(married to David Laird, Coalminer)
Parents: Alexander Campbell, Coalminer (dec) & Christina Campbell MS Smith (dec)
Jane Laird her X mark, Daughter was the informant.2,5
Jane appeared on the 1881 Scottish Census of 3 Apr 1881 in the household of Agnes Laird at Foxbar Derry Woman House, Paisley, Renfrewshire, Scotland ;
LAIRD Agnes, 19, Bleachfield Worker, Dreghorn Ayr
LAIRD Jane, 16, Bleachfield Worker, Stevenson Ayrshire
Also Cath Mc Dimack, Bridget Mc Dimack, Margt Mc Dimack, Elizabeth Mc Gourley, Andrew Fearns, Jane McGuire
Catherine McDimack is classified as the Head of the House.6
Jane Laird married Matthew McFarlane, son of Matthew McFarlane and Margaret Campbell, on 3 Jul 1885 at 10 Grahame Street, Johnstone, Renfrewshire, Scotland ,
After Publications according to the Forms of the Church of Scotland
General Labourer, (Bachelor) aged 25
Usual Res: 10 Grahame Street, Johnstone
Parents: Matthew McFarlane, Private - Foot (dec) & Margaret Campbell
Bleacher, (Spinster) aged 19
Usual Res: 27 McDowall Street, Johnstone
Parents: David Laird, Coal Miner (dec) & Margaret Campbell (dec)
Witnesses: James Higgins and William Taylor.2,7
As of 3 Jul 1885,her married name was McFarlane.
not able to locate any further information about Jane or Matthew after their marriage.
Do not appear on the 1891 Scottish Census, may have left Scotland for another country.
Further investigation is required.
Family: Jean Laird and Matthew McFarlane
|Father||David Laird (c 1836 - 8 Aug 1878)|
|Mother||Margaret Campbell (13 Mar 1838 - 28 Feb 1878)|
- [S33] Birth Marriage and Burial Entries, International Genealogical Index & Family Search Web Site (IGI) : Family Search Web site, From 2000), "Scotland Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950," database, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XYP6-7Z4 : 2 January 2015), Jean Laird, 15 Oct 1865; citing STEVENSTON,AYR,SCOTLAND, reference ; FHL microfilm 6,035,516.
- [S1] Certificate held on file, Held by Ailsa Corlett, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia. Hereinafter cited as Certificate held on file.
- [S11] Scottish Record Office BDM Indexes, online www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk, 1866 CPR records Birth and Baptism, Scottish Catholic Archives Saltcoats, St Mary's MP 6011187. Hereinafter cited as Scottish Record Office BDM Indexes.
- [S76] 1871 Scottish Census (www.scotlandspeople.co.uk: New Register House Edinburgh, 2 April 1871), 1871 Stevenston Ayrshire, ED 2, Line 21, Pg 34, Reg No 615 - two pages.. Hereinafter cited as 1871 Scottish Census.
- [S11] Scottish Record Office BDM Indexes, online www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk, 1878 Dalserf Larkhall Lanark, 638/02 0010.
- [S15] 1881 Scottish Census (www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk: New Register House Edinburgh, 3 April 1881), 1881 Paisley Abbey Renfrew, ED 1112, Pg 5 Line 7, Reg No 573 - via Ancestry.co.uk. Hereinafter cited as 1881 Scottish Census.
- [S11] Scottish Record Office BDM Indexes, online www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk, 1885 Johnstone & Elderslie Renfrew, 559/03 0047.